Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Core i5 2500k Upgrade help!

Options
  • 04-12-2011 1:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

have a dell dimension 9200 atm ,
    core duo 6600 2.4ghz
    8600 512mb
    450GB hard drive,(nearly full)
    375Watt PSU

I plan on treating myself to a core i5 2500k, motherboard and ram.
    but on a second note i have decided aswell to upgrade to a 1gb 9500gt and another 320gb hard drive to be added with the 450gb.

my question is, can i just drop in the new motherboard, ram , cpu and gpu and update the driver and the reconnect it with my orignal hard drive and my computer will run with all my sofware/OS or will i have to format it and re install?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

i would just advice on buying a whole new system.

i doubt you will be able to put all new stuff in that dell case ( had dell system myself ).

make a fresh biuld, reuse your HDDs as prices on them are stupid at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 silviasteve

i would just advice on buying a whole new system.

i doubt you will be able to put all new stuff in that dell case ( had dell system myself ).

make a fresh biuld, reuse your HDDs as prices on them are stupid at the moment.

not relly in a position to do a whole build again, just want to know the question from my OP,
    would i need more than the 375 Watt Psu to run it?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

A 6600 (Quad or Duo?) is a LGA775 socket CPU and a 2500k is a LGA1155 socket so you'll need a new motherboard. And if you want that Dell to power it you'll need a Dell motherboard since Dell ignore connector standards.
    If you want to run anything else power hungry like your graphics card that PSU is useless.

You're better off getting a cheap case, 500W to 600W PSU and scavenging as many parts as you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

As SH says, you really need a new case, they're not compatible.
    You can't usually keep your windows install either as the license is tied with the motherboard.

The PSU would probably be enough to get by but (assuming it does have a compatible PSU, many Dells do not) they often have weird cable lengths designed specifically for the Dell case and board so it would probably not suit a new system.

Also 9500gt isn't much of an upgrade. I hope you're not buying this card new as it's pretty old now.

5uspect wrote: »
    A 6600 (Quad or Duo?) is a LGA775 socket CPU and a 2500k is a LGA1155 socket so you'll need a new motherboard. And if you want that Dell to power it you'll need a Dell motherboard since Dell ignore connector standards.
    If you want to run anything else power hungry like your graphics card that PSU is useless.

You're better off getting a cheap case, 500W to 600W PSU and scavenging as many parts as you can.

So il need a new (not dell) PSU so?

• Advertisement

I looked it up and it has the standard connectors. So it would be compatible, just not suitable to a new case which you need and not very much power if you want to go overclocking and adding a better graphics card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭Eamonn Brophy

So il need a new (not dell) PSU so?

Tell us how much you have to spend and we can recommend a suitable build! Is it mostly for gaming?

Tell us how much you have to spend and we can recommend a suitable build! Is it mostly for gaming?

Iv 400 quid for upgrades, i need the strongest cpu / motherboard / ram bundlE with a hard drive i can get for my money,
    The computer will be used for gaming, perticular flight simulator, which is known as one of the Hardest games on cpus , i would like to get a 1gb graphics card, i do not want to get an expensive as it would not be put to use as i wont be playing to the likes of battlefield etc
    Gpu doesnt really matter as much in flight sim as much as other games
    Why wont the lga1155 fit in the case, sure its ATX

Any help will be gratfully accepted!

Why wont the lga1155 fit in the case, sure its ATX

What's ATX? The motherboard or the case? Nearly every Dell desktop case is BTX. At least their mainstream ones, sometimes XPS/alienware will follow different rules.

Monotype wrote: »
    What's ATX? The motherboard or the case? Nearly every Dell desktop case is BTX. At least their mainstream ones, sometimes XPS/alienware will follow different rules.

Ya checked up its BTX, il need to save for a case aswell,
    Will i be able to swap hard drive to new motherboard /cpu and boot it up with my os and software still intact?

• Advertisement

First of all it might not even boot as the drivers would be different and it can be messy. Secondly, the license won't be valid any more and it would ask you to activate windows again (which it wouldn't allow given that it's a different system).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭Eamonn Brophy

Ya checked up its BTX, il need to save for a case aswell,
    Will i be able to swap hard drive to new motherboard /cpu and boot it up with my os and software still intact?

There's a company called bitfenix that do cases for about 40 quid, the merc beta and alpha. they're budget but have nice features and are built well.

I'd personally go with:
    the i3 2100 (you can upgrade later to a 2500k)
    any p67 or z68 board that's within your budget (If you dont plan to get the 2500k at a later date, don't bother. the reason I'm picking those chipsets is potential for future overclocking.)
    any 8gig ddr3 kit (usually 30-40 euro)
    The merc case I mentioned above
    Use the hdd from your current machine (wipe it, new copy of windows)
    use the drive from your current machine
    A superflower amazon psu, about 450 watt should do.
    and then use whatever you've left for a graphics card

Advertisement