Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question re license " good reason"

Options
  • 04-12-2011 1:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭

It was put to me recently that if say you have a shotgun and you put clay pigeon as the reason to have it , then you can't shoot game with it even if given permission, the same for 0.22 rifle. If you got it for bunny rabbits then you can't target shoot at a club . Is it that restrictive

Boatmad

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭aurin07

BoatMad wrote: »
    It was put to me recently that if say you have a shotgun and you put clay pigeon as the reason to have it , then you can't shoot game with it even if given permission, the same for 0.22 rifle. If you got it for bunny rabbits then you can't target shoot at a club . Is it that restrictive

Boatmad

Sounds like horse**** to me..

The only reason I know of to click multiple boxs on reapplication is to increase the amount of rounds your allowed have..

Some fellas are full of ****ing tripe dont mind em

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

Supposedly if you dont tick the hunting box you arent meant to hunt with it. Really doubt that a guard would check up on that to be honest. but no harm in ticking the hunting box anyway.

If you just ticked the box for target shooting you would have to be a member of a authorised shooting range. shooting targets in a field wont get you a licence since all target shooting is meant to be done on a range outside of checking the zero on the scope.

have you a licence for both or are you planning on getting one?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,986 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

I have my rifle for target shooting but argued for my moderator by saying I hope to get into hunting soon(which I do). Super obviously had no problem with that as the mod is in the safe as we speak:P

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,559 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Is it that restrictive

No.

Its the primary reason for wanting the firearm that you put on the application. So if you hunt then tick the hunting box. If you decide to do some target shooting also or at a later date there is nothing to stop you.
    garv123 wrote: »
    Supposedly if you dont tick the hunting box you arent meant to hunt with it.

No. As said above you tick the form according to main or primary reason for wanting the license. Your license makes no distinction as to the use of the firearm.
    .......... shooting targets in a field wont get you a licence since all target shooting is meant to be done on a range outside of checking the zero on the scope.

To be technical there is no allowance for "zeroing" in law. So any zeroing could be classified as target shooting if a Garda wanted to be fussy. I doubt an Garda would be that nasty though.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭FOXHUNTER1

Boatmad

Buy some earmuffs lad some people talk a lot of s**t.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Mr.Flibble

No restriction unless it's stipulated on your Firearms Certificate Grant Notice letter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭One shot on kill

for a 22 or shottie i think the ear muffs would be handy alright but as far as i know its pos to get a 243 upwards just for target shooting on a range and not for hunting if you have no stalking license etc when getting rifle for these you prob could get in trouble for hunting with it if target shooting on license. but then not sure where it comes in with foxing but if im wrong or unclear sorry

........ but as far as i know its pos to get a 243 upwards just for target shooting on a range and not for hunting if you have no stalking license etc ...
    You can get any caliber for target shooting once the range is authorised for those calibers.
    when getting rifle for these you prob could get in trouble for hunting with it if target shooting on license. but then not sure where it comes in with foxing but if im wrong or unclear sorry
    If your license has any conditions limiting what, where, and how you shoot then you must abide by those conditions. If not then the primary use of the firearm when applying still stands as valid, but does not limit you to ONLY that reason.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

im not trying to give incorrect info

that was just my understanding of it but yours is a bit clearer alright haven said that id say its a vast gray area and plenty of wiggle room for the guards maken decisions

I'm not correcting you, just clarifying things.:cool:

• Advertisement

oh ye no hastle didnt think you were as any info you have given has always been clear and accurate

......as any info you have given has always been clear and accurate

Thats a bit of a stretch, but cheers.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

thanks lads, thats what I thought too. The person that mentioned it to me is a well known pistol man, and is on boards, so manybe we have put him straight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭xesse

good man boatmad...yea it does look like i got it wrong :eek::eek::eek:
    but does that also mean that i dont have to worry about a guard getting all legal on me and taking a rifle off me that i have for target shooting, if i'm out hunting foxes????

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

xesse wrote: »
    good man boatmad...yea it does look like i got it wrong :eek::eek::eek:
    but does that also mean that i dont have to worry about a guard getting all legal on me and taking a rifle off me that i have for target shooting, if i'm out hunting foxes????

Nope, perfectly legitimate.

Advertisement