Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

DJ-less radio - would you be in favour?

• 04-12-2011 1:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,057 ✭✭✭✭

OK so it may just be like an MP3 player with adverts, but I often commute early enough when TodayFM and RTE2 are just playing songs and no DJ is on air yet.

I think its refreshing not to have to listen to what is usually drivel coming outta them. Their crap attempts at being funny can become tiresome.

Would you listen to a DJ-less radio station?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

NIMAN wrote: »
    OK so it may just be like an MP3 player with adverts, but I often commute early enough when TodayFM and RTE2 are just playing songs and no DJ is on air yet.

I think its refreshing not to have to listen to what is usually drivel coming outta them. Their crap attempts at being funny can become tiresome.

An MP3 player could never warn you of an impending nuclear attack...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Trick of the Tail

Like Sky Radio or Zenith mostly? Yes, it fills a need. Not INSTEAD of DJ-presented stations, but in addition to.

A.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,068 ✭✭✭✭neris

I would like to have at least 1 dj less station. Travel to lithuania abit and they have a station with no djs or ads and plays alot of the current top songs and great not to have to listen to a plonker yapping on and then ads and hardly any music

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

I'm more of a listener to talk radio but occasionally I used to tune into music based stations to escape from the doom & gloom of recession speak.
    The music might be ok but the DJs do my head in. Almost always its just a matter of time before they mention the countdown to the weekend or start giving advice on how to drive carefully.

MP3 player for me from now on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭jonniebgood1

I would prefer ad free radion than DJ free if I had the choice.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

telekon wrote: »

The EMP effects might give one something of an inkling :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

telekon wrote: »

If the nuclear powers ever do issue the 3 minute warning the DJ on Galway Bay FM at the time would announce that he has some sensational breaking news,............ coming up after this ad break. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Fran1985

NIMAN wrote: »

Have to admit i really enjoy listening to Today FM's over night material. As you say there's no drivel or attempt at being funny, its just wall to wall music, no ads, not even as many jingles. quite refreshing. However I can tell ya from listening to some internet stations, its gets a bit boring without some interactivity.

So as someone else said, 1 DJ-less along side as opposed to "instead of stations" with DJs would be fantastic, and would only work with no ads. Nice just to chill out to every now and then

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Niles

Wouldn't mind it at all, though to be honest it's long commercial breaks that I really find grating. But the realist in me knows that I'm just going to have to put up with that. But as alinton says it needs to in addition to rather than instead of the existing stations. A bit of on-air banter is alright in small doses, though many stations seem to have difficulties in getting the balance right. Beat is one of the few stations I can tolerate in this regard, whereas I can't stand Hector et al.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Technocentral

I mostly listen to talk radio but BBC 6 is the only presenter led music one I can hack, most djs are idiots but BBC 6 has people who are passionate and knowledgeable about music, they have some great presenters like Radcliffe & Maconie, Marc Riley, Lauren Laverne and great archive stuff.

• Advertisement
Advertisement