Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What next for Inferno?

Options
  • 04-12-2011 1:54pm
    Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭

As you may or may not be aware there were about 10 people at the last Inferno.

Can't really go on like that. I've been talking to a couple of people and considering the idea for DoC we're thinking making Inferno SF + MvC3 might be a good solution, 2 double elim tournaments. As part of the problem I am convinced is tournament fatigue I don't think encouraging DoC to be putting on another seperate tournament is a good idea.

I'm also aware that loads of people have tough college loads this time of year, but 10 people is a clear indication...

What do you all think?

Chopper, do we have the Exchange booked for next year?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭stev0knev022

As you may or may not be aware there were about 10 people at the last Inferno.

Can't really go on like that. I've been talking to a couple of people and considering the idea for DoC we're thinking making Inferno SF + MvC3 might be a good solution, 2 double elim tournaments. As part of the problem I am convinced is tournament fatigue I don't think encouraging DoC to be putting on another seperate tournament is a good idea.

I'm also aware that loads of people have tough college loads this time of year, but 10 people is a clear indication...

What do you all think?

Chopper, do we have the Exchange booked for next year?

Few things.

AE is dead, it was a bad game to start with and at this point people have had enough. So hopefully when 2012 drops there willl be renewed interest in SF4.

Marvel is probably the most played game atm so i agree with Doom that it should definitely be at every Inferno from this point on.

Maybe a new name would be a good idea..... aslong as we can come up with something better than "Big Two".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭Ry

It might serve well to make them less frequent as they were in the past. This might increase the sense of occasion about them and people will maybe be less inclined to say ah screw it I'll go to the one next month. They used to be every 3 months or so which was a long wait and a long time for people to train up but there was definitely a much more hype feeling about them when it was finally back on.

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

More screenings of True Grit would bring in the numbers.

If that doesn't work ban other games and start random punishment beatings on community members.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

More KOF.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,006 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

I'm very open to the idea of Inferno being 2012 and UMVC3 with just two straight up double-elim tournaments.

I've not booked anything for next year yet.

As for the frequency, it was made monthly when people complained that they were too far apart.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

Inferno being UMVC3 and 2012 sounds like a great idea to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Voa

If Inferno becomes a monthly UMvC and SF tournament, I think DoC will be able to stay as a bi monthly tournament, with the lesser played games, like MK, BB and KoF.

Yeah, I was thinking that Voa, as long as people are happy with that then it sounds like a perfect plan.

Voa wrote: »
    If Inferno becomes a monthly UMvC and SF tournament, I think DoC will be able to stay as a bi monthly tournament, with the lesser played games, like MK, BB and KoF.

At this point SF4 is a lesser played game :(:(

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

That was suprisingly easy...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Da Bounca

Maybe add Soulcalibur into the mix come February?

Day of Champions is more likely to be the tournament hosting a SC5 tournament I'd say Da Bounca and there'll be at least a few I'd imagine (probably more if the game picks up popularity). If Voa doesn't want it at DoC for some reason then I'd say it'd be happily run at Inferno.

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭Jun_DP101

Wasn't it the same story last year? a very sparse turn out for the dec one, then after a 3 month hiatus it came back with a boom in march. everybody was interested again, I'd say we should have just the national 5v5 in march, to build up hype again.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Or we could actually all show up to a Belfast event...
    (yes I'm guilty too)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Owwmykneecap

Isn't the team SFIV comp at Day of champions, taking a huge amount of steam out of inferno?

How about Inferno as the SFIV led tournament with say KoF thrown in there.

And Doc as the Marvel led tournament with BB MK etc.

Also for what it's worth, my idiot nephew broke his ankle yesterday.

I think it's prob best to keep the Capcom games together tbh. Capcom day and non capcom day.

Things don't need to be set in stone, we can look at it again in a couple of months if SF does resurge with 2012 (which may be possible as there's multiple reasons it could be suffering right now).

Agreed with Doom. KOF would have more crossover with the BB lads I'd say so it makes sense to have it at DoC (plus the one of the reasons for DoC is to rep games which aren't getting as much play, which KOF is and Marvel no longer really is).

I think it's prob best to keep the Capcom games together tbh. Capcom day and non capcom day.

Things don't need to be set in stone, we can look at it again in a couple of months if SF does resurge with 2012 (which may be possible as there's multiple reasons it could be suffering right now).

Then you're saying Doc would be MK, Kof and BB and inferno would be SF IV and MvC3, or some variant of this?

Would there not be more overlap between SF IV and KoF than SFIV and marvel. Gameplay style over Dev house...

I think ultimately you can't have both a monthly singles and teams tournament in SFIV, held 2 or so weeks apart.

Edit: Wrote that before Dreddys post.

Yeah, I don't see teams SF4 at DoC anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

I think marvel and sf4 is a good idea. Swap out marvel for gem fighter when it comes out. Couldnt care less about teams.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,006 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Just like this year, I'm not booking the Exchange for January. I'll try to get the first Saturday of February to December though.

bush wrote: »
    I think marvel and sf4 is a good idea. Swap out marvel for gem fighter when it comes out. Couldnt care less about teams.

Yh teams is less fun than you'd think.

Yh teams is less fun than you'd think.

Ye its crap and its one game taking up 2 spots.

Well Voa initially had teams to bring in the SF crowd, I don't want to speak for him, but I think the other communities have certainly built to the point they don't need extra bodies, tbh.

Yeah maybe put teams on the backburner. Run another team tournament in 3 or 4 months or something, think it's more fun as a less regular thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Voa

More than willing to do such a thing :D

Also, while I'm askin', do people reckon a DoC would go over well in January's second/third week?

Voa wrote: »
    More than willing to do such a thing :D

Also, while I'm askin', do people reckon a DoC would go over well in January's second/third week?

Yeah, sounds good. Let Inferno rest til the start of Feb.

With the new balance patch would we not want to start 2012 edition before Feb?

With the new balance patch would we not want to start 2012 edition before Feb?

Ye I agree, get in there while its fresh and everyone is playing. There was like a 3 month gap before we had an AE inferno.

• Advertisement

Agreed with that.

Advertisement