Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What next for Inferno?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

I'm cool either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

My opinion on this is that as 2012 came closer to release, some people just stopped playing AE....myself included. There is only so much Yun bs I can take before I want to kill myself.

I would wager we would be back up to 30 people for january's inferno. New interest with the new balancing....and a new year. I would hold off on tweaking anything until we see the turnout for next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

I don't think low attendance can be blamed 100% on AE.

Cold weather makes people way less willing to travel (and it's bloody cold); and December is a busy time for everyone.

Speaking personally, I'm always happy to come to events regardless of weather, but there are only 4 Saturdays in December, and I'm afraid I can't spare any of them for tournaments.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Goody2shoes15

I can vouch from the sign-ups at the DoCs that most people who sign up for teams are only doing so cause they're there for other tournys and want to enter everything. We could easily give out the SFteams spot to KoF or the like and it'd save a lot of time. We might actually get it back to a six hour day! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭ayjayirl

The last 2 inferno's have had low attendance. I can see why people are questioning its viability for a tournament on its own but is that not something that always happens when a new release is coming out? Either way I think it may be premature to make a decision on changing the format for inferno just before the release of the new game with no concern for what effect that might have on the tourney. This is just a word of caution and not a stance in opposition to the idea. SF at its height attracts most player per tourney (average over the last year) so what happens to inferno if say there is a large turn out. Does this mean that (like DoC) the event will run until 9pm? Or start earlier? (Is this always possible for booking?). I know details like this can be worked out but consider that for large and successful events we have people coming from Belfast, Cork, Limerick, Galway and other areas outside Dublin. Considerations for these people have to be included imo. Inferno was the defacto standard for events and was in itself a ranking event for SF and changing a favoured tourney a week before release of a new iteration of SF seems fool-hearty. Does anyone have the info on attendance pre christmas last year? I can't see it being a record turn out and that was with a better game.

This is just my opinion and I am trying to take an objective view on the situation. I like SF, I don't like Marvel. That being said my points above stand. Its not about the game but the tourney and the community.

An idea might be to alternate the games each month. One month 2012, one month Marvel. That way you keep both going and you have enough time between tourneys for each of the games to get maximum attendance. If numbers for one of the games dwindles at least then you have a better picture as to why and can act accordingly. I would propose that inferno stay SF and we start a new ranking Marvel tourney called "insert some elemental name here". Having two ranking tourneys in the country for the 2 best games* would the best outcome? This could allow for side 'team' tourneys in the relevant game to be played on the day for that event if desired.

Marvel is not a real game ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

I would second that. How about the second saturday every month could be Marvel tourney? We would have to think of a name for it. "UMvC3 day" sounds kind of bad. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 11,006 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

The main "problem" at the moment is too many tournaments, so putting Marvel on it's own on another Saturday is a non runner.

Going straight up double elim for both SF4 and UMVC3 is doable with the standard booking we have for Inferno.

We could even keep the same pricing structure and just have it a fiver per tournament and five for entry.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭blag

The main "problem" at the moment is too many tournaments, so putting Marvel on it's own on another Saturday is a non runner.

Going straight up double elim for both SF4 and UMVC3 is doable with the standard booking we have for Inferno.

We could even keep the same pricing structure and just have it a fiver per tournament and five for entry.

This seems like the most sensible thing to do. Having both marvel and SF4 should ensure there are always enough players to justify the event.

Besides the fact I've been too busy to go to tournaments recently (and will be through to May/June) one of the things which would be stopping me attending Dublin tournaments is the volume of events taking place which makes it difficult to make a judgement on what tournament is most worth going to.

I don't want to spend £50 and give up an entire Saturday to play in a tournament with a handful of people there because people are waiting for something else the next weekend.

Just my opinion as someone living outside Dublin as to why numbers are shrinking. There are obviously other factors (game fatigue etc) but I believe less frequent tournaments would see better numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭Ramza

I haven't touched AE since the Inferno I was at last (2 infernos ago) I've been busy plus been playing marvel and also losing interest until 2012

I don't mind and will definitely come to Infernos anyway, it's just this time I could not as I had other plans but I had fully intended to so I am impartial to how inferno is run as long as there is still a tourney of course I am happy :)

I agree with Ayjay and maybe this is just a hiccup since people are waiting for AE 2012? Play it by ear for now I think anyway

Out of interest if Inferno becomes SF4 + UMvC3 tourney day (which I would like since I doubt I'd get to enter any other marvel tournaments since inferno is pretty much the only time i can get to show up offline now these days, and they are the only two games I play properly as of now too), if someone enters both tourneys how will that go? Will they be run seperately?

Yeah they'll be run one after the other.

Though signups will have to be done for both by the same usual time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭ayjayirl

Seems logical. Like I said, I am not against the idea, just think the timing of this, a week before new SF iteration drops, might be unwise but the next one isn't until Feb anyway so that point might be moot.

We going to run MVC like SF with seeds and a table of results like SF?

Yeah, someone can do up a seeds list table like the one we have for SFIV and update it with the DOC results.

It'd be very handy to have one of those done up for every game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Voa

Yeah, someone can do up a seeds list table like the one we have for SFIV and update it with the DOC results.

It's be very handy to have one of those done up for every game.
    Hai :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Nutrient

I'd say short comings to this inferno were the time of year definitely

Exams

Cold as hell [Not a valid excuse, cept for us Lazy Irish:)]

AE

3 reasons that could turn away even the biggest of fighting game enthusiasts

I am still interested in that idea of multiple SF4 tourneys [Vanilla, Super etc]

I think the next inferno will have much higher numbers then this one when the work load is lowered due to college time of year and 2012's release.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭ladnopoka

ye vanilla, super and ae is a brilliant idea.

Just to jump into this thread with the next DoC idea;
    4 games; KoF, BB, UMvC3 ('cause there's not Inferno on), MK9, second saturday in january. Any major objections?

Sounds good to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

So no 2012 tourney in January?

If someone wants to run one, go ahead, but I'm not booking anything for January.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Nutrient

Voa wrote: »
    Any major objections?

OBJECTION!
    You walked into that tbh:pac:

Can people start offering their consoles atvm?

• Advertisement

I was going to wait till this weekend before sorting anything like that out. Lotta work to catch up on.

Hurray college :pac:

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

If you want to talk nitty gritty for a DoC please start a new thread, I'm trying to keep this one focused on Inferno (obviously this isn't a dig at Voa chiming in or anything, just I think this topic needs to be discussed plainly).

This is what I've heard so far.

1) People are stuck in college, and will be for a while. Nothing can be done about it, but good to know there's willing peeps who just can't come right now as opposed to not wanting to.
    2) Tournament fatigue (including money). We should probably try and keep the number of tournaments streamlined.
    3) AE is poo, and at this point with 2012 knocking on the door no one wants to play it. It may be an idea to run a tournament in early 2012 to gauge interest, perhaps on it's own. Someone is gonna have to man up and do that if so, Chopper doesn't want to which is fair enough, its R and R time for a lot of people.
    4) The weather/ time of year doesn't help. No it doesn't :)

From talk to people off line I've heard another couple of points:

We should announce tournament dates as soon as we get them. There were people wondering if this inferno was happening.

We should probably be a bit more active in promoting tournaments on facebook et al. It's sooo easy to get lax about these things, and I think we have been.

A weird corrolory- the videos for the smallest ever Inferno have been the most successful ever, and over all have given me my biggest day yet second only to the Evo qualifier. Sods law.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

1) People are stuck in college, and will be for a while. Nothing can be done about it, but good to know there's willing peeps who just can't come right now as opposed to not wanting to.

To expand on this I'd say there's a lot of reasons why non-college students are busy in December too: Shopping for Xmas presents, Traveling to visit relatives, depending on the industry you work in Xmas can be an especially busy time at work too.

For me all of the above are true. My weekends are basically booked out until January.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭Kuro Tao

Voa wrote: »
    Just to jump into this thread with the next DoC idea;
    4 games; KoF, BB, UMvC3 ('cause there's not Inferno on), MK9, second saturday in january. Any major objections?

Just one, if you're going to run those games in January, the next TYH I run (Which will probably be close to January/early February), I'll have to rotate the games a bit too, as that line-up is very similar to my current one.

Not really a problem, but it brings me to my next question:
    With Gem Fighter coming up, do you guys think it would be worth my while running a T6 event? Just a thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Owwmykneecap

Cash money.

Tournament = €15 x 2
    Transport = €20 x 2
    Food = €10 x 2

If I go to both then that's around 90 quid a month, and that's before any optional beers, though I duck out early on those.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Fergus_

Yeah, it's costing me about 30-40 euros to go to an event so I don't really go as much as I would like to

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Fergus_ wrote: »
    Yeah, it's costing me about 30-40 euros to go to an event so I don't really go as much as I would like to
    How is it costing you that much?

Matthews coach is €12 return.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    How is it costing you that much?

Matthews coach is €12 return.

€12 + €15 for the tournament + €10~ for food = ?

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Speed Boat

If he buys lunch kiki that's about 30 quid.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

Makes sambos and thumb

Advertisement