Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Soarview

Options
  • 04-12-2011 1:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭

My husband bought a soarview box, It says to point the ariel south, but if we do we get no signal, and so we point it back to north, where we do get a signal.Either way the box cant pick up anything.My husband thinks thast maybe we dont have soarview in our area yet.Any ideas, thanks,Cathy

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Cardinal Richelieu

The Saorview site has a coverage map and instructions on tunning
    http://www.saorview.ie/make-the-switch/coverage-checker/coverage-map/

If after that your still having trouble tunning it, you could try posting in this forum
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=40

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

cathy, we got one a few weeks back only to discover that there are a huge amount of 'black' or 'dead' spots around balbriggan/balrothery/skerries area.
    We are working of the arial in the Cooleys and its not fully working 100% yet

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056302397&page=5

I got some good info from the link above. From page 5 post 64 onwards. They give some good llinks in there as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Where are you based?

I'd try tune in an analog signal first, as it will be much faster to tune in compared to getting the saorview one. just plug the aerial into the telly. Try get TG4 or TV3 with as good a signal as you can by moving the aerial.

Make sure the X elements of the aerial are pointing across not up and down if you're pointing it towards the Wicklow mountains.

And that they're pointing up and down if pointing it at the Cooley mountains.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭bernyh

was only talking to my neighbour about this today, we have a sky dish, but wanted to put a link into the bedroom, if we bought a saoirview box would that be able to get a signal from our original sky dish?

• Advertisement

bernyh wrote: »
    was only talking to my neighbour about this today, we have a sky dish, but wanted to put a link into the bedroom, if we bought a saoirview box would that be able to get a signal from our original sky dish?
    Not as far as I am aware. Your sky dish is pointing at a sattelite many billions of light years away in space whereas the saorview ariel points at a pole on top of a hill somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭qpd

Hi Cathy,

There's an expert saorview/f.t.a. sat installer based in Balrothery
    - ASA Installations who is probably just the man for the job: John 087 6856811

qpd

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭saranac1

do you need an aerial to work the soarview box or is there an alternative way.my tv is not a new tv and does not have soarview built into it

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,328 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

This was on the Skerries fb page, I'm sure it should work for Balbriggan.

Freeview from Northern Ireland in Skerries -now switched on and working
    The Kilkeel (Mourne Mountains) digital transmitter was switched on Wednesday 10th October at 12 noon (and analogue BBC2 was switched off). The signal is strong in Skerries so if your aerial is pointing towards the Mourne Mountains (which most are in Skerries), you can re- tune your Saorview TV or Saorview box and you should be able to get the following channels: all the BBC radio and standard definition TV services, including BBC One NI, BBC Two NI, BBC Three, BBC Four, CBBC, CBeebies, BBC News, BBC Parliament, BBC Red Button (301), BBC Radio 1, BBC Radio 2, BBC Radio 3, BBC Radio 4, BBC Radio 5 Live, BBC Radio 6 Music, BBC Radio 1Xtra, BBC 4 Extra, BBC Asian Network, BBC World
    Service, BBC Radio Ulster & BBC Radio Foyle.
    On October 24th UTV, Channel 4, Channel 5, ITV2, Channel 4 + 1, More4, E4 UTV+1, BBC1 HD, UTV HD, Channel4 HD, BBC HD will start.
    Source: Skerries Community Association

• Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭martinn123

fergal.b wrote: »
    This was on the Skerries fb page, I'm sure it should work for Balbriggan.

Freeview from Northern Ireland in Skerries -now switched on and working
    The Kilkeel (Mourne Mountains) digital transmitter was switched on Wednesday 10th October at 12 noon (and analogue BBC2 was switched off). The signal is strong in Skerries so if your aerial is pointing towards the Mourne Mountains (which most are in Skerries), you can re- tune your Saorview TV or Saorview box and you should be able to get the following channels: all the BBC radio and standard definition TV services, including BBC One NI, BBC Two NI, BBC Three, BBC Four, CBBC, CBeebies, BBC News, BBC Parliament, BBC Red Button (301), BBC Radio 1, BBC Radio 2, BBC Radio 3, BBC Radio 4, BBC Radio 5 Live, BBC Radio 6 Music, BBC Radio 1Xtra, BBC 4 Extra, BBC Asian Network, BBC World
    Service, BBC Radio Ulster & BBC Radio Foyle.
    On October 24th UTV, Channel 4, Channel 5, ITV2, Channel 4 + 1, More4, E4 UTV+1, BBC1 HD, UTV HD, Channel4 HD, BBC HD will start.
    Source: Skerries Community Association

This will work all over DNC for anyone who used an aerial to pick up UTV and BBC, on the analogue system, with the aerial pointed at the north.

I re-tuned my saorview box and I now have BBC 1,2,3,4 etc, all perfect, and UTV is coming on the 24th. Plus of course the Irish channels.
    I am outside Lusk, on the R132, go into the menu on the Box via the remote and re-tune it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭sgarvan

Are the UK station being broadcast from this transmitter on the same frequency as Saorview?

Or does you Saorview Box/TV have to be able to pick up MPEG2 & MPEG4

sgarvan wrote: »
    Are the UK station being broadcast from this transmitter on the same frequency as Saorview?

Two Excellent Questions, both of which deserve a reply.

However, somehow, I don't think this Forum will be up to it.

So I'll refer you to the chaps, here,

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056755770

who know their MPEG's better than anyone,

all I know is that it works, not how it works.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭sgarvan

Tried it last night in the parents house and my brothers house in Balbriggan and both can pick up the BBC stations.

Time for a rethink on how I will wire the house up now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

sgarvan wrote: »

TV's or boxes need to have mpeg4 to get saorview, but mpeg2 will get british channels, and saorview sound only

• Registered Users Posts: 31 cracknafobia

only getting utv and channel 4 after i did an auto tune on the saorview box is there any way of getting the bbc ?

only getting utv and channel 4 after i did an auto tune on the saorview box is there any way of getting the bbc ?

On my Box, '' vision'' there is an option to do a '' Network Search'' I am not sure what the difference is, but I got all the UK stations.

Advertisement