Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My Australian Gamble - Am I Crazy?

Options
  • 04-12-2011 2:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭

So I am off to Oz in Jan 2012.

I am currently working for a large worldwide logistics company based onsite in Dublin EU HQ offices of the worlds largest internet search giant (I cannot say who but you know who)

I decided to move about 7 months ago and got my flights etc before I got this role, when i got the job I paid extra and changed my flights.

Is this a crazy thing to do (leaving a very good job to no job in a new country?)

Im thinking aloud here :)

The biggest factor in my favour is somewhere to stay when i arrive in Sydney. My sister has just got her 10 yr visa and has been there for over 4 years. So I can stay rent free for the length it takes until I get a job.

I want to be interviewing in the first week and working the second...

I'm nervous!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭ArraMusha

Go go go...and the best of luck to you. I know someone who left Ireland last weekend, like you have full time job and is now near Sydney with interview tomorrow, weather looked lovely yesterday on the skype.

Why stay here an let the government take your hard earned money to pour down a gamblers black hole. Why stay here and live with the fear of having your saving halved or worse. Why stay here with the cost of everything and it going up. Why stay here and listen to moaning and groaning. Why stay here in a shrinking economy with no resources and living off a corporation tax rate that's keeping the country afloat. Why stay here with the rain and wind and trying to stay warm and dry for 11 month and 28 days of the year. And finally why stay here with all our youngster 17-30 over there or heading over soon....and I forgot ...why stay here with all the fine sun blessed sheilas over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭markfdrums

....if I go, I aint coming back...

Nervous :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭ArraMusha

..life is full risk, go for it. Did you watch the arrivals program on rte? Should be still on the player...anyone that went to Oz were working and happy they made the right decision..

Post back here in a few months and let us know how you got on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭CamperMan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ResearchWill

To be honest it is a real personal decision, my sister left 3 jobs in Ireland 1 full time 2 part time in 1981 to travel, she got to Sydney on her round the world trip, there now 30 years always had a good job went to university there married there kids and she never looked back. But she would say the difference between Ireland 1981 and Sydney 1981 miles apart now pretty similar except of course the weather. From what she has told me lots of things down under cheaper but lots are more expensive, you are lucky to have accommodation as that can be very expensive.

On the economic side Australia has not been hit by the downturn, But the warning signs are there Australia is been spoken about in property terms as over heating similar to Ireland circa 2006. Australia is very dependent on mining exports mainly to china, if Europe and US sink in to depression then China no longer exporting and Australia then hits problems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Oz has changed a lot in the last 5 years. In the big cities you are more likely to see a person of Asian decent. The face of the country is definitely changing. Then again places like Darwin have always had a strong Asian presence. The bigger thing is that oz has got v expensive. Wages have got crazy because of the resources boom. It's pushing up wages across all other sectors. Many european tourists are turning away because of that and the stronger dollar. The pensioner in the article above is a prime example.
    Europe looks like it is in for a sustained down period. This will have to affect oz in some way. It is still a brilliant place to see. People say there is no culture but what about the aboriginal culture that was there for thousands of years. Great place to see. Once in a lifetime chance to travel for a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭SONIC2008

Yeah you are maybe a little crazy, but do it anyway! I too am moving to Australia next year, the difference though is that I don't have a job. Whatever decision you make best of luck with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 38 whosyour_daddy

I don't think you're that crazy to be honest. I would definately go unless you are earning a fortune here. You have experience, a place to stay and should have no problem landing a job. My cousin went a few months ago, walked into a recruitment agency and had a well paying job the NEXT DAY! No interview or anything.
    I'm giving myself until the new year to get an engineering job here in Ireland. If not, then it's off to Oz in January!

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭sponge_bob

should ask your employer if they have a job for you in sydney, i prsume that they probably have offices there aswell;)

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭rediguana25

I'm in the same boat OP. Have a great job in EU HQ of one of the most profitable companies in the world. As a previous poster said- see if you can get a transfer. That's what I'll look into too. It does seem a bit mad but I know how you feel....if it's in you to go then you've gotta go. You will regret it if you don't. That's the reason I'm going to do it..but yes it's very scary and of course you're nervous..it is a big move. You don't have to stay there though. If you say to yourself that you will stay a year or so it may not seem so daunting...that's what i'm trying to focus on now too. You have to do it!:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭arandale

Yea, i fully agree with Sponge Bob, if you are a good employee they will not want to let you go. Please go and don't live with the ' what ifs' and the best of luck to you, you are lucky to have your sister,

Let us know how you get on and post us every now and again. :)

Thanks to all for opinions and responses - some good stuff.

My company has an office in Sydney but its more a pop-site.

Im writing this during Enda's speech.... this is so frickin weird :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Oscars Well.

CamperMan wrote: »

There isn't a culture of going for a drink after work and the TV is terrible.
    :pac: :pac: :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

I don’t know what a pop site is but you should defiantly look into getting a transfer to the Sydney office. It will make your life so much easier not only in that you will have a job set up for when you get there but also for getting a visa and if things don’t work out you can ask to be transferred back. That company is world renowned for being one of the best to work for so Id try and stay with them if I were you. Having said that with them on your CV you shouldn’t struggle to get a good job in another company here either.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

ArraMusha wrote: »
    Go go go...and the best of luck to you. I know someone who left Ireland last weekend, like you have full time job and is now near Sydney with interview tomorrow, weather looked lovely yesterday on the skype.

Why stay here an let the government take your hard earned money to pour down a gamblers black hole. Why stay here and live with the fear of having your saving halved or worse. Why stay here with the cost of everything and it going up. Why stay here and listen to moaning and groaning. Why stay here in a shrinking economy with no resources and living off a corporation tax rate that's keeping the country afloat. Why stay here with the rain and wind and trying to stay warm and dry for 11 month and 28 days of the year. And finally why stay here with all our youngster 17-30 over there or heading over soon....and I forgot ...why stay here with all the fine sun blessed sheilas over there.

Ah christ spare the bull**** mate!! Jesus! Irish people are some of the most negative in the world!

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭Mike...

I am off thursday, In a similar position to yourself...best of luck with your move

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭statina

Do it, as Mark Twain said 20 years from now you will only regret the things you didnt do, not the things you did do. I left a fulltime permanent job at home and everyone thought I was mad to leave! But it was something I had to do and Im so glad that I did. I got work in my field within 2 weeks and am having a ball. Best of luck either way

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Same here.... packed in a job/car etc 7 years ago and practically walked into the same position in Sydney, still here and have never been happier. Life is not worth living unless you are willing to gamble with it once in a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

markfdrums wrote: »
    So I am off to Oz in Jan 2012.

I am currently working for a large worldwide logistics company based onsite in Dublin EU HQ offices of the worlds largest internet search giant (I cannot say who but you know who)

I decided to move about 7 months ago and got my flights etc before I got this role, when i got the job I paid extra and changed my flights.

Is this a crazy thing to do (leaving a very good job to no job in a new country?)

Im thinking aloud here :)

The biggest factor in my favour is somewhere to stay when i arrive in Sydney. My sister has just got her 10 yr visa and has been there for over 4 years. So I can stay rent free for the length it takes until I get a job.

I want to be interviewing in the first week and working the second...

I'm nervous!

If I had a job I loved and a pretty much secure Income I would have stayed in Ireland.

The sun may split the stones on good days here and opportunities are greater
    but it is not for everyone.

Just because there are Sun drenched sheilas in Oz does not mean any are bound for your bedroom. Blokes that do well with the ladies at home are the same blokes that do well with the Ladies here.

Your euro will possibly go a lot further in Ireland than your dollar will here.

The fact you have family here is a big bonus. You will spend enough time missing the ones that are not here.

The one thing you cant take with you is your family and your mates.

Mike... wrote: »
    I am off thursday, In a similar position to yourself...best of luck with your move

And you too MIke.

I'm trying to find a decent rate to ship some stuff over at the moment.

Really dont want to haul lots of stuff on the plane.

• Advertisement

its getting close...!!!

I've spent the last few weeks sending the CV off and have a few agencies meets when I get there...

Also got a few no thanks mails which I'm putting down to currently still being in Ireland...hopefully.... :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

Well done. Have left secure jobs twice, been on the dole a few times, had loads of oportunity to rake in cash but didn't, life just been too interesting and i wish you well in yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭sponge_bob

its getting close...!!!

I've spent the last few weeks sending the CV off and have a few agencies meets when I get there...

Also got a few no thanks mails which I'm putting down to currently still being in Ireland...hopefully.... :eek:

i wouldn't worry too much about it, once you are there you will come across alot more job oppurtunities. alot of it will come from meeting people and mingling with people in the same line of work as yours.

whens the big day?

Yeah hope so..

Im off on the very last day of this month..

I will keep this thread updated throughout if anyone is in the slightest bit interested..

No 'oh its amazing blah blah blah' just straight up facts..

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭arandale

That would be fantastic, it would be good to hear how you get on warts and all. The best of luck to you.:) :rolleyes: :eek: :confused: :pac: :cool: :p:D;)

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭markymark21

There isn't a culture of going for a drink after work and the TV is terrible.
    :pac: :pac: :pac:

I'd have to dis-agree with the 'no drinks after work culture'. The chefs in work would go through their own mothers to get a few beers after work!

Although in London, the drinks after work thing is massive..The streets are jammers with people in suits drinking at 7.30pm

Hey so here a month...

Spent the first week job hunting - nothing. No responses really from anyone including agencies.

Second week got an interview for a 5 month contract role. Went to the interview and it turned out they wanted the role full time, permanent. Got the job and they were the ones talking sponsorship.

Accepted the role and the 457 application is in process.

My girlfriend is here on a tourist visa and will be going partner on the visa (agreed with the employer)

Money isnt great - 65k but they are covering all costs of sponsorship and want me to possibly enter a management role in 6+ months. This will mean more money.

Living in Sydney. The city is amazing it really is. But be warned it is $$$$$$$$$ crazy money. I spent 3K in a month and that was barely out drinking. I paid $6 for a bottle of water the other day.

Coupled with the pox x/r at the moment, someone coming over on a 417 would need AT LEAST 5K to survive (i stayed rent free with my sister too)

The job market is difficult, make no mistake about it (I havent read other threads here, just giving my 2 cents on that)

Thats all for now really except the weather has been awful but not too bad this week.

Mark.

Hey so here a month...

Spent the first week job hunting - nothing. No responses really from anyone including agencies.

Second week got an interview for a 5 month contract role. Went to the interview and it turned out they wanted the role full time, permanent. Got the job and they were the ones talking sponsorship.

Accepted the role and the 457 application is in process.

My girlfriend is here on a tourist visa and will be going partner on the visa (agreed with the employer)

Money isnt great - 65k but they are covering all costs of sponsorship and want me to possibly enter a management role in 6+ months. This will mean more money.

Living in Sydney. The city is amazing it really is. But be warned it is $$$$$$$$$ crazy money. I spent 3K in a month and that was barely out drinking. I paid $6 for a bottle of water the other day.

Coupled with the pox x/r at the moment, someone coming over on a 417 would need AT LEAST 5K to survive (i stayed rent free with my sister too)

The job market is difficult, make no mistake about it (I havent read other threads here, just giving my 2 cents on that)

Thats all for now really except the weather has been awful but not too bad this week.

Mark.

Congrats dude. Dunno if I could commit to the staying with one employer f

Congrats dude. Good to hear you doing well so quickly. Dunno if I could commit to 4 yrs working with the same employer while in oz (probably due to the revolving doors that is employment within in the hospitatlity industry) but hope it works out anyway!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭SONIC2008

Good to hear that you are getting on well. Wow I knew Sydney was expensive, but 3k in one month!?

Can someone just confirm this for me please. I asked in another thread but noone replied. So many people talk about getting sponsored and being stuck with the one employer. I found this on the Australian government website, am I totally missing something or are you allowed change employers as the following states from this webpage http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/457-sponsor-obs-faq-visa-holder.htm

Can I change jobs?

Yes. Under the new laws coming into effect on 14 September 2009, you are required to work only in the occupation that is identified in your most recent approved nomination and only for the sponsor who nominated you in the most recent approved nomination.

If your sponsor wanted to employ you in a different occupation, your sponsor must lodge a new nomination in respect of that occupation. Once the new nomination has been approved by the department, you will be able to start working in that occupation.

If you want to change sponsors, your new proposed sponsor must lodge a nomination for you. Once the new nomination has been approved by the department, you may, subject to any requirement to give notice to your old sponsor, commence working for your new sponsor.

In either case, you will not be required to apply for a new subclass 457 visa, unless your existing visa is about to expire.

Advertisement