Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My Australian Gamble - Am I Crazy?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭sponge_bob

Just looking at the posts here.

If you want to go to Australia, there seems to be a couple of options.

Going over on a holiday or sponsorship visa, but these seem to be frayed with other difficulties, especially if you keen on staying. You are either spending a lot of money and time looking for work that may not appear, or are worried about staying in the current job. Both have limitations and you placing the onus on the employer to keep you there.

One of the points illustrated about the skilled worker sponsorship that worried me, is that your time in Australia is bound to your current employer, and if you wish to leave there is a significant amount of stress involved, in looking for another employer that will continue the visa. It seems like hassle for the employer, and again you are putting your own life in Australia in the their hand. For example, if you the original sponsorship did not work out so well, and you wanted to get another job, then how easy is it to get another employer to take responsibility for that current visa, seeing that the original job did not pan out so well?

It seems all luck of the draw in these two cases.

It seems like if you are keen on just heading over to Australia and staying there, then the best bet is to just save up and try and get the Skilled Workers migration? This is just my current feeling at the moment.

I know it is pretty expensive, (around 5-7k euro right?) but when you are over there, can you go directly to collecting the dole (like some support for job seeking)? Are you tied directly into the role you chose in your Skilled Workers migration visa, or can you go directly into a shop assistant or something, while you look for work in your required area? How much money do you actually need?

Also, how will the new SkillSelect immigration scheme work? Will it mean I can even immigrate anymore???

My visa cost about €4k for a family of 5, Iam on a subclass176 relative sponsored visa I will not be able to claim dole or any assistance from the Australian govt for 2yrs, afaik that is the responsebility of my relative, but certain types of visa do allow for claiming the dole straight away. If you are state sponsored then I think you must work in your specified skill even though Iam not 100% on this, where as I can work at what ever I want to. As for how much money do you need, well how long is a piece of string?, it really depends on your situation, one thing I do know is that you can never have enough when it comes to uprooting your family and shipping them 1/2 ways around the world, but.... you have to make do with what you have:(

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭ellaq

Are you entitled to family assistance spongebob? While some visas will not allow you to be entitled to the dole for 2 years you are entitlted to receive family assistance which is a means tested tax allowance for people with families.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭d.pop

You cannot claim the dole for 2 years regardless of your visa. The reason australia doesn't have ridiculous immigration problems is that if you get in here on any of the migration visas it's because you've got a skill that will get you a job or you are smart enough to be adaptable once in. What country wants to open their doors to everybody to come and bludge the dole?
    Yes, you can get some help like family assisitance and maybe carers allowance if you have sick kids or similar and depending on visa you are often entitled to medical care, education etc but in fairness if you plan to fly to other side of world to sign on dole you got to ask yourself wtf you're doing leaving home in the first place? If you've got the skills to get in to Oz you will recover the cost of your visa in your first few months wages.

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭sponge_bob

ellaq wrote: »
    Are you entitled to family assistance spongebob? While some visas will not allow you to be entitled to the dole for 2 years you are entitlted to receive family assistance which is a means tested tax allowance for people with families.

Iam not sure, afaik Iam the responsability of my brother for the first 2yrs and if I need assistance he is suppossed to provide it for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭SONIC2008

I'm a month here now and cannot get any work in healthcare (psychology, counselling, youthwork, childcare etc). All the positions really want someone with permanent residency. I've applied for some really remotely located positions also because obviously less people want to work there. No luck either with casual work, probably because of all the checks they have to do with police clearance and working with children checks. I won't go back home to sit on the dole just yet, but I am getting slightly concerned!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Cooperspale

SONIC2008 wrote: »
    I'm a month here now and cannot get any work in healthcare (psychology, counselling, youthwork, childcare etc). All the positions really want someone with permanent residency. I've applied for some really remotely located positions also because obviously less people want to work there. No luck either with casual work, probably because of all the checks they have to do with police clearance and working with children checks. I won't go back home to sit on the dole just yet, but I am getting slightly concerned!

You should get the clearance and children checks done for yourself, just so you have some and consider volunteering somewhere you'd like to work and get a casual job to keep you going in meantime.
    Unless you're a nurse or a high demand medic/allied health professional, healthcare can take a while to crack here.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭SONIC2008

Yeah I thought it might take a while, but I thought i would pick up casual work a bit easier.
    I have already applied for my national police certificate here, and I did bring a recent one from Ireland. I cant get a working with children check for NSW, the employer has to do it on my behalf. I've spent the last 4 years volunteering, its just a bit displeasing that I'm going to have to go down that route again! Suppose i'll just have to do what it takes. Its not like I would be any further at home! :)

Advertisement