Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Business or accounting?

• 04-12-2011 3:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 28

Hello all,

What exactly is business like for the Leaving as I might pick business or accounting..

Im still stuck on which one I would like to do as I like both. Im not to sure on what is on each course? What sections are on business and accounting for leaving cert.. ??

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭padocon

Accounting is extremely difficult in my opinion. I think business is easier. If you were good at the Trial Balance and Trading P&L for the Junior then Accounting is for you. If you were better at the theory then Business. If you want to do a business course in college then do both.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

The type of learning needed for them are different. Accountancy is all about learning off a method and being able to apply it to the variations that can arise. There is no real rote learning, one question on the paper is theory based rather than an account but it still has calculations that have to be done - everything has to be figured out on the day rather than spewed out after learning it by heart.

I didn't do business but from what I've seen its all about learning off theory. Would be good if you find it interesting and you can learn things easily by heart.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

As far as I know the A1 % for Business used to be 9% but now its 2%. Kind of shows how easy it is, but how hard marked it is! I do business but not accounting, and its a really interesting subject. Its practical and pretty easy - and on the Applied Business Question you're almost hinted the answers, I find. I'd definitely pick it over accounting, which is hard from what I've heard.

What about economics though? Its supposed to be the easiest of the three.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Jimlad

Thats for your posts guys!
    I find both very interesting and was wondering your thoughts on them. pretty low precentage on A1..

Whats the curriculum for business/ economics?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,746 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Business is a load of bullhonky. Iv seen how my father runs his business (its fairly big btw) and none of it really matters. Accounting is something you can actually use in life, same as Economics so avoid business at all costs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭xclw

i do both and i'm also repeating this year.
    i would suggest Business to be honest but that's what i prefer.

Business however is honestly one of the hardest subjects to get an A1 in, it's easy enough to get a B but if you look at statistics it's one of the lowest subjects with A1s (around 2.7%)

Accounting - i was good at the trial balance stuff for junior cert but you really can't gage by that because it is a million times harder i find anyway. it is a subject that you could get an A2 in one day and then a D2 in it another. you have to study it by practising it- a bit like maths in that sense

Accounting is not solely learning a method off a huge huge part is understanding. There is a lot of hard work, like any subject. The reason it has such a high percentage of A's is because when and if you get it you get it. All parts of the course are linked. So once you figure it you figure it and as you move trough the course the other parts of the course fall into place more and more. I'm not encouraging you to do accounting, I am pointing out that you should not be influenced by the number of A's, they don't mean the subject is easy. There seems to be that perception.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Accounting was pretty easy for me, and 6 out of 9 in my class got As. A lot of it is repeated and there are so many attempt marks given.

Once you know how to do a trading, profit & loss and balance sheet, you're well on the way. There's not that much work involved- if you do 1 or 2 questions a week, that's plenty of revision and I know we finished the course in December, and you can always go back and practice them from then on.

It's not that much harder than Junior Cert...once you get the hang of it, you've got it.

Business is all theory and I hated learning off by heart so I didn't do it. But if you find that easy and remember stuff naturally, I'd advise that.

But I definitely think if you have the potential to be good at accounting, do that. It's a subject you can be fairly confident of an A1 in if you're good at it. I messed up pretty badly in the exam...nothing balanced but I still got a comfortable enough A1 because I knew the format of the accounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 boggermad

I'll just ask this here instead of starting a new thread...

I'm going to be picking my LC subjects this year and I'd like to business because it seems more interesting and useful than Geography or History but I didn't do business for my Junior cert. Would I be lost without doing it before? Would buying a revise wise and going through the JC course myself be worth the time or will I be OK?

It should be fine, I think you would want to have an interest in business and like it in general. But It is a grand subject to take on. Don't buy the revise wise book for junior cert. There is a huge difference between that and the LC Business. The accounting from JC is gone for LC business and for the Junior cert the theory is very basic.

If you want to get started on a bit of work over the summer get the Leaving Cert Revise wise and learn the easier things that you will manage by yourself. I would suggest things like the EU, contracts, finance and maybe a few others from Units 1-3 of the course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

Ah you'll be grand :) The main thing from the JC course is insurance, and because its on the JC course they dont like to ask it higher level.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 boggermad

OK thanks.

Business is a load of bullhonky. Iv seen how my father runs his business (its fairly big btw) and none of it really matters. Accounting is something you can actually use in life, same as Economics so avoid business at all costs

It is relevant to a business of course. In fact the bigger the business the more related it is!

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭lainey108

im doing business and accounting.
    if you can choose between business and ecconomics pick ecconomics.
    business is all theory but you have to annalyse and give oppinions, and its hard to get high marks.
    my friends are doing ecconomics and they say its all deffinitions i wish somebody had told me to do ecconomics.
    if you want to do business courses in college its also way better if you do ecconomis.
    as for acounting..practice practice practice..which can be hard to find the time to do it..

Advertisement