Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Organising 12 pubs of Christmas in Dublin city

Options
  • 04-12-2011 3:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭

Hi guys. I'm new to this forum so I am not sure if this is the right place on the site to have posted on, but I feel it's somewhat relevant to the trend so I'll shoot ahead :P

Anyways, I'm organising the 12 pubs of christmas in Dublin city with some college friends. Having it sometime in the middle of December. The only thing is, I am not familiar with the pubs around Dublin city at all, and wouldn't know where to start in organising it.

However, I plan on organising it around the temple bar/o connell street area. Basically, the city centre!!! Could someone do me a huge favour and do out a sample 12 pubs concentrating around those areas which you think would be best for college students? :)

Thanks in advance!!

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,507 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

How about te 12 beer pub of Christmas:

1. Porterhouse temple bar
    2. Oneils suffix street
    3. Porterhouse central
    4. Mulligans poolbeg street
    5. Messers maguire
    6. The grand social
    7. The cobblestone
    8. L mulligan grocer
    9. Dice bar
    10 Ryan of parkgate street
    11. Bull and castle
    12 against the grain

if Ryans of parkgate street is too far, substitute pifko on the quays.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Temple Bar and O'Connell Street would be the most expensive places to do it, and not necessarily the best craic. I'd probably start at the top of Camden Street, at the Bleeding Horse and work your way down Wexford Street, Aungier Street, Georges Street (quick pint in the George ;)) and then into Temple Bar for a couple and down the quays to Messrs and O'Reillys.

I always wonder about doing the 12 pubs in town, where pubs have bouncers that don't take nonsense. Do people not get refused all the time, and then the plan gets thrown out the window?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭podge018

that's an awful 12 pubs you've offered there. The pubs should be near eachother.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Micko23

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

baggot mile is easiest and nicest pubs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭SuiteCheex

Following on from what JoeSoap said, I came across this route recently and thought it was a pretty good representation of Dublin's more "studenty" establishments.....

• Dtwo
    • Diceys
    • Against the Grain
    • Solas
    • Village
    • Whelans
    • Flannerys
    • Devitts
    • Cassidys
    • Bleeding Horse
    • Odeon
    • Dtwo
    Not what you asked for, but it's food for thought at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭DynamiteC101

SuiteCheex wrote: »
    Following on from what JoeSoap said, I came across this route recently and thought it was a pretty good representation of Dublin's more "studenty" establishments.....

• Dtwo
    • Diceys
    • Against the Grain
    • Solas
    • Village
    • Whelans
    • Flannerys
    • Devitts
    • Cassidys
    • Bleeding Horse
    • Odeon
    • Dtwo
    Not what you asked for, but it's food for thought at least.

Thanks to both of you for the help! Are those venues you just listed there all pubs yes? I know it sounds like a silly question but I really amen't familiar with the dublin pub scene!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

What I've seen a lot of people do is just pick a street (like Dawson St), then go onto Google maps streetview, find all the pubs on it and arrange to visit them all. Lazy, perhaps, but you've less chance of losing people if you only have to walk 50m between pubs. Most streets right in the city centre will have between 8 and 12 pubs on them, so it should be easy enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Happyturtle00

If you're trying to keep thing cheap/normal priced, Temple bar is not the place to go. It can be very expensive.
    Anywhere around Baggot Street is pretty good as there is a goood few spots to choose from, and if someone is too drunk to get in somewhere, you can easily substitute that pub with a new pub.
    This is the route we usually take for the 12 pubs - it starts near Ballsbridge and ends beside Stephens green:

1. Paddy Cullens
    2. Crowes
    3. Mary Macs
    4. Bellamys
    5. Searsons
    6. The Waterloo
    7. The Wellington
    8. The 51
    9. Larry Murphys
    10. Toners
    11. The Baggott Inn
    12. O'Donoghues

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭SuiteCheex

Thanks to both of you for the help! Are those venues you just listed there all pubs yes? I know it sounds like a silly question but I really amen't familiar with the dublin pub scene!

Yep, they're mostly pubs with a few of them (DTwo, Dicey's and Odeon) being late bars. You could always swap out the second trip to DTwo and end your night across the road in Copper's instead.

WARNING: If you're going to Coppers's it's essential you leave it to last as you'll need the 11 previous pints if you want to survive!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,023 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Apparently Searsons is closed now? Only heard it from a friend who was doing a Baggot mile 12 pubs on Saturday so maybe someone else can confirm?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭sagat2

For something a bit different.

The Ranelagh Run:

Start at the top of Ranelagh Village and head North into town.
    1. McSorley's, Ranelagh village

--Food stop Luigi's chipper, Ranelagh Village--

2. Humphrey's/Smyths, Ranelagh Village
    3. Russells, Ranelagh Village

--5 minute walk--

Take a left onto Mountpleasant Place
    4. The Hill, Mountpleasant Ave

--5 Minute Walk--

Head back to the Renalagh Road towards the canal
    5. The Barge, Charlemont

Follow the canal West to Portobello
    6. The Portobello, Portobello

Head North on Richmond Street straight into town
    7. The Bernard Shaw, Portobello
    8. The Bleeding Horse, Camden Street

--Food stop at Zaytoon's, Camden Street--

9. Flannery's, Camden Street

--10 minute stagger or throw out the original plan and head to Coppers(optional)--

10. Capitol Bar, Aungier Street
    11. Hogans, George's Street

Turn right onto Exchequer Street
    12. The Exchequer, Exchequer Street.

Disclaimer: the names of some of these pubs may have changed since I was last in them, or they could indeed be out of business. If anyone notices a discrepancy please let me know as I plan to do the run when I'm home in a couple of weeks.

Except where noted all pubs are less than a 5 minute walk from each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭aidom

Aren't Humphrys and Smyths two different pubs? I've been in both a few times and never noticed a reason to think they're in anyway connected??

If I were doing the 12 pubs I'd start at the bottom of Georges St and then work my way up to the Bleeding horse.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭DynamiteC101

aidom wrote: »
    Aren't Humphrys and Smyths two different pubs? I've been in both a few times and never noticed a reason to think they're in anyway connected??

If I were doing the 12 pubs I'd start at the bottom of Georges St and then work my way up to the Bleeding horse.

Would you ever so kindly do a sample 12 pubs (in the route you just mentioned - george st up to the bleeding horse) please? I'll appreciate it greatly!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭paudgenator

Apparently Searsons is closed now? Only heard it from a friend who was doing a Baggot mile 12 pubs on Saturday so maybe someone else can confirm?

Yep..it's closed :(

http://www.herald.ie/news/rent-row-with-guinness-shuts-sport-pub-2947452.html

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Boneitus

I created a route today, alot of bars around temple bar so may be more pricey

1) The brazen head
    2) The porter house - parliament street
    3) The czech Inn
    4) The Turks head
    5) Auld Dubliner
    6) Gogarties
    7) Foggy Dew
    8) The Bankers
    9) Stags Head
    10) International Bar
    11) The Duke
    12) Kehoes

Might change a few pubs on the way but hope to follow something along that route. Alot of people might finsh up in Kehoes so could be packed

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Wouldn't fancy pushing through the crowds in Kehoes after 11 pints!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭sagat2

aidom wrote: »

Yep they are indeed two different places however since they are side by side you can choose between which one appears to have the better craic at the time of arrival. Sorry for the confusion.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,507 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

podge018 wrote: »
    that's an awful 12 pubs you've offered there. The pubs should be near eachother.

If the purpose is to get pissed then it is not great.

But this thread started in the Beers wines and spirits forum and I tailored it to those pubs which serve a very good selection of beers.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭Yillan

Would you ever so kindly do a sample 12 pubs (in the route you just mentioned - george st up to the bleeding horse) please? I'll appreciate it greatly!!!

Bleeding Horse - Flannery's - Ryan's - Against the Grain - Whelans - Karma (€3 Fosters)- The Swan - Hogans - NoName - Market - Sweeney's - Globe

It's in the opposite direction because it's more downhill

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 TallaghtHoop

Doing it this Saturday with 2 mates over from Newcastle. Planning on starting in Reads on Dame St, Peadar Kearneys, Citi-bar, Foggy Dew, The Bankers, O'Neills and O'Donoghues on Suffolk St, Porterhouse Central(Old Judge Roy Beans), The Duke, The Dawson Lounge, Bruxelles and finish up in McDaids.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Doing it this Saturday with 2 mates over from Newcastle. Planning on starting in Reads on Dame St, Peadar Kearneys, Citi-bar, Foggy Dew, The Bankers, O'Neills and O'Donoghues on Suffolk St, Porterhouse Central(Old Judge Roy Beans), The Duke, The Dawson Lounge, Bruxelles and finish up in McDaids.

That's not a bad route, i'll be taking in a couple of those on Saturday myself. I was thinking of starting up around Peter's pub/Hairy Lemon and working down to Dame Lane and Suffolk Street.

A question for the well informed - i'm not a local anymore :(. Is it true that Cassidy's on Westmorland Street is back open? That was a great pub on a busy evening, i'd be incorporating it into my route if it's open.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭The Scientician

I've never done the twelve, how do yiz tend to feel by the time you're getting to the twelfth pub?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

I've never done the twelve, how do yiz tend to feel by the time you're getting to the twelfth pub?

It's just 12 pints (plus what ever you fancy yourself) so being the closet alcoholic that a proportionate amount of Irish men are bred to be, i've inadvertently done it quite a few times - although never laid out in such an intentional framework. Tbh, i reckon the walk from pub to pub will make it one of those occasions where you're drinking but not really feeling as drunk as you normally would if you were just slouched there on auto-pilot.

Depends on your rules. When 12 pubs first became popular, the rules were generally that you had 30 minutes per pub to order and drink your drink. Only pints or shorts were acceptable, no bottles or half pints (unless you'd finished your pint already).
    If you couldn't stomach a drink in one pub or couldn't finish your pint, you had to drink two in the next (usually a pint with a short chaser).
    It was forbidden to eat during the session, except for crisps and peanuts from the bar.
    Other sessions would add in variations that included a shot in every second or third pub, and a rule that if you finish your pint before the 30 minutes are up, you had to buy another so you're still drinking.

Most people seem to have recognised that these were fairly insane rules, and everyone was either balloobas or comatose by the 10th pub. So any time I've seen it now, the rules have been relaxed and bottles or half-pints are acceptable as drinks, and a food break (McDonalds or whatever) is slotted in between the 6th and 7th pubs. This means that most of the time you can easily get through them without being completely wrecked.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,880 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

theteal wrote: »
    Is it true that Cassidy's on Westmorland Street is back open?
    It is.
    seamus wrote: »
    When 12 pubs first became popular
    When was this? I don't think I'd heard of it before about two years ago.

BeerNut wrote: »
    When was this? I don't think I'd heard of it before about two years ago.
    It's been going around for at least fifteen years, but it seemed to take off around 2006/2007 as companies started cutting back and cancelling Xmas parties, so staff started doing 12 pubs instead.
    It's only in the last year or two that I've seen it change from a hardcore pub crawl into a more sober affair.

Advertisement