Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PC Gaming and Console Gaming

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,866 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

There's a reason RTS games aren't marketed exclusively to the console, they're usually incredibly dumbed down (EndWar and Halo Wars spring to mind) and have to cater to people with the bare minimum of peripherals on their console, ie the 360 or PS3 wireless pads. You were able to play an average RTS on your PS3 after having to buy a motion controller and sensor just to (attempt to) emulate the way it'd be played naturally on a PC, bravo. Also, this "I get to sit on a couch" crap people like to bring up in relation to why they prefer consoles is nonsense too, especially when they try to make it sound like sitting at a desk and playing a game is some sort of inconvenience and use phrases like "hunched over a mouse" to further make it sound uncomfortable. Sitting at my desk with my feet up in a big leather chair at my desk with a much beefier system is great; but it's irrelevant. I don't need to bring it up.

Hence why i said the Move is great for RTS and not the wireless controller is great for RTS. I also never mentioned anything about RTS being marketed exclusively to consoles. I said having the Move allows the Console market to be opened up to the RTS genre which was previously closed to it as it gives the functionality of a mouse to the user.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

o1s1n wrote: »
    Have you ever played Command and Conquer on a Playstation with the official Playstation mouse?
    Didn't know the PS1 even had a mouse!
    Don't think I've ever thought PC components looked cool though...functional would be the main word there. I'd hardly be comparing a new motherboard or some RAM to The Fonz. The Neo Geo AES on the other hand is definitely worthy of that title.
    I'd be mainly thinking about the glowing water cooling pipes, LEDs on the fans, etc.
    Retr0gamer wrote: »
    In 320x240? With loads of slow down? It was horrible :'(
    Indeed it was. I think the 486 or P1 that I was playing C&C on at the time had me spoilt, though :P

=-=

Oh, and gaming with a wireless gamepad and a wireless trackball mouse can be done anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

oh its this discussion again. really its all personal preference, being a pc gamer doesnt make you a better gamer, not in the slightest, neither does being a console gamer. I can play fps games perfectly fine on both a pad and kb&m, right now I dont have a pc rig so its consoles only but years ago when I had the options it was fps on pc and everything else on console, playing something like a 3rd person action game just feels odd to me on a pc with a keyboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,539 ✭✭✭✭Varik

I am a lot older than I look :(

Isn't that better?

Hey o1s1n, boy do you look old.

was going to post some stuff about cost, and if a game is good it's good also had some mention of Old republic in there, but this thread should just die and never come back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Twilightning

krudler wrote: »
    oh its this discussion again. really its all personal preference, being a pc gamer doesnt make you a better gamer, not in the slightest, neither does being a console gamer. I can play fps games perfectly fine on both a pad and kb&m, right now I dont have a pc rig so its consoles only but years ago when I had the options it was fps on pc and everything else on console, playing something like a 3rd person action game just feels odd to me on a pc with a keyboard.

I'm lucky I can use pretty much any controller I want with a PC for 3rd person games then! And most of the newer release games support 360 pads from the getgo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,956 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

the_syco wrote: »
    Didn't know the PS1 even had a mouse!.

It did indeed! Nobody really bothered with it though. There's something pretty cool about playing Syndicate Wars on one of those little PSone consoles with a mouse and the flip up LCD. Like a little Playstation laptop! Actually have a pic of my one before I sold the LCD a while back -

DSC_0170.jpg
    Varik wrote: »
    Isn't that better?

Maybe if you're in your 40s, but being denied entry to a pub when you're 27 while your baby 18 year old sister waltzes in ahead is pretty ****ing embarassing!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Would be cool if you could get RTS's and **** on the PS3, with keyboard and mouse support.

Even just for some single player fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

for consoles to have a K+M setup they would have to come as standard otherwise people that buy them as add-ons would have an advantage at FPS games

actually are the consoles manufacturers missing a trick there as it would force people to try and keep up and buy the accessories?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

No console has Blood

Argument over

:pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

although they might very well have blood 2, that's just how terrible that game was

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Clooney George

Designed for the objective of gambling and still handle to come last when in comparison to a reasonable PC.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,040 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

the_syco wrote: »
    Didn't know the PS1 even had a mouse!

I remember i got mine with Riven, the sequel to Myst. I believe that was the only game i ever used it on. I just wanted all Official PS accessories...

To the original question, why can consoles do better than PC's? Easy. Out of the box readiness.

Console
    Choose which console you want, buy console, take console home, take console out of the box, hook up to tv, 2 minute initial set up, game.

PC - Shop made
    Choose which Model you want based on technical specs you may know nothing about, pick which accessories/programs you want with it, take it home, unbox it, put it together, turn it on, wait through initial start-up, complete initial set-up, install the game (or download, which can take ages!), set up the graphics options and other stuff i have no idea about, give out about the game and download and install mods...

PC - Custom
    Same as above but with loads of deciding, waiting for delivery, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

consoles in 2012

2zfiu09.gif

PC in 2012

2XEL6.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

consoles in 2012

2zfiu09.gif

PC in 2012

glorious-PC-gaming-master-race-vs-Dirty-console-gaming-peasants-500x282.jpg

The PC is a broken image link?
    Fitting.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I remember i got mine with Riven, the sequel to Myst. I believe that was the only game i ever used it on. I just wanted all Official PS accessories...

To the original question, why can consoles do better than PC's? Easy. Out of the box readiness.

Console
    Choose which console you want, buy console, take console home, take console out of the box, hook up to tv, 2 minute initial set up, game.

PC - Shop made
    Choose which Model you want based on technical specs you may know nothing about, pick which accessories/programs you want with it, take it home, unbox it, put it together, turn it on, wait through initial start-up, complete initial set-up, install the game (or download, which can take ages!), set up the graphics options and other stuff i have no idea about, give out about the game and download and install mods...

PC - Custom
    Same as above but with loads of deciding, waiting for delivery, etc.
    This is a bit OTT, it's not like you have to set up a PC every time you play so judging a PCs lifespan by the first two hours is a bit much.

Fair enough PCs can be a pain, I'm just after going through an evening of getting Dirt3 to run but in the end it did run at full settings looking ten times better than it ever could on any console. If you want the best in anything it's going to take more work and a better knowledge of what's going on.

Installing mods is at the users discretion too they're not requirements just things that make PC gaming better in he long run.

Master of the Universe

And on the console one you're forgetting a new horrible trend -

Insert disc > need to download huge patch/install game to HDD before playing.

On in the case of the 3DS -

Buy new game > try to play on the way home > need to install firmware update first > console wont let you install update with current battery level.

Or another 3DS one -

Buy console > wait months for anything decent to play on it

Or how about -

Buy console > unbox > discover they gave you the ****test AV cable imaginable > have to go back out to buy a better one

Or -

Buy console > red ring

Or -

Buy console > turns out to be an Atari Jaguar/Sega 32X/Panasonic 3DO/CD-I/Mega CD/Game.com/VirtualBoy/Gizmondo :(

Buy console > turns out to be an Atari Jaguar/Sega 32X/Panasonic 3DO/CD-I/Mega CD/Game.com/VirtualBoy/Gizmondo :(
    Don't forget the Amiga CD32, the last console I ever owned.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,040 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

ScumLord wrote: »
    This is a bit OTT, it's not like you have to set up a PC every time you play so judging a PCs lifespan by the first two hours is a bit much.

Fair enough PCs can be a pain, I'm just after going through an evening of getting Dirt3 to run but in the end it did run at full settings looking ten times better than it ever could on any console. If you want the best in anything it's going to take more work and a better knowledge of what's going on.

Installing mods is at the users discretion too they're not requirements just things that make PC gaming better in he long run.

Well, it was meant to be a bit OTT! :P

I agree that the process is first time only applicable, but it goes to the point i made, out of the box readiness (3DS aside, but thats a handheld, not a console imo). And i think there's only been one game where there was a lenghty download required at start-up, and the install doesn't usually take too long (except that one that took 45 minutes).

At the end of the day, it's preference. I would love to be able to have a savage gaming rig as my XPS isn't capable of playing modern games (i don't want to try in case it doesn't play properly and i'm down €x). If i ever have the money, i'm buying a tower and making it as future proof as possible, but until then i'll stick to my (2nd) PS3 and (2nd) 360.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

consoles in 2012

PC in 2012

2XEL6.jpg

Thank you for my new wallpaper on my new custom biuld gaming pc! :D

Thank you for my new wallpaper on my new custom biuld gaming pc! :D

Its a bit small for a wallpaper but knock yourself out :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Everytime I see that image being used I wonder did people actually get the point he was trying to make or just dribble excitedly when they heard "PC gaming master race". :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

gizmo wrote: »
    Everytime I see that image being used I wonder did people actually get the point he was trying to make or just dribble excitedly when they heard "PC gaming master race". :pac:

ofc we got the point. WE ARE BEST! :D

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

gizmo wrote: »

Quiet peasant. Now away with you, back to your xcrap 360 or whatever it is you commoners choose to demean yourselves with.

Quiet peasant. Now away with you, back to your xcrap 360 or whatever it is you commoners choose to demean yourselves with.

zFwf5.jpg

It was quite uncouth but about what i'd have expected from the unwashed peasantry.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

I've got one that I bet no one has thought about or even cares about. It's a bit niche.

An xbox or PS3 is way easier to throw into a bag and bring to one of our fighting game tournaments.

I can think of exactly 2 times I have seen a PC running SF4 at these events, as opposed to literally hundreds for consoles.

It also seems to me using a hauppage as an external source makes for much less problems for streaming and commmentary (of course you could use a second desktop for that, but then you have 2 desktops and a hauppage instead of a console, small laptop and hauppage). Capturing direct on the machine running the game is a recipe for disaster with money on the line.

I've got one that I bet no one has thought about or even cares about. It's a bit niche.

An xbox or PS3 is way easier to throw into a bag and bring to one of our fighting game tournaments.

I can think of exactly 2 times I have seen a PC running SF4 at these events, as opposed to literally hundreds for consoles.

It also seems to me using a hauppage as an external source makes for much less problems for streaming and commmentary (of course you could use a second desktop for that, but then you have 2 desktops and a hauppage instead of a console, small laptop and hauppage). Capturing direct on the machine running the game is a recipe for disaster with money on the line.
    This again is another aspect that PCs invented. I don't see why Networking on a PC would cause any problems. networking with PC is fairly straight forward. If you can't let your PC automatically find it's network settings I don't see how you'd have a chance with any other device.

Master of the Universe

PCs are for the peasant commoner now too to be honest.

The real gaming elite use candy cabinets :pac:

/Rides off the back of his Atomiswave SD, crushing console and PC owners to death under its mighty castors.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

This again is another aspect that PCs invented. I don't see why Networking on a PC would cause any problems. networking with PC is fairly straight forward. If you can't let your PC automatically find it's network settings I don't see how you'd have a chance with any other device.
    I think the point he was trying to make was that throwing your PC into your bag won't end particularly well compared to throwing your console in. :)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Mainly because it's nothing to do with networks, (tournament level fg play CANNOT be over a network, has to be local, dropping a single frame can be a missed combo, and regardless every single modern fighter is played on one machine) and the main point was about mobility.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Gaming laptops?

Advertisement