Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nice Christmas Dins Option

Options
  • 04-12-2011 4:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

Just to let you know we were at a pre-christmas dins last night and we had the full whack of veggies and potatoes stuffing and the works and we tried out the Avoca Lentil and nut loaf, it's absolutely yummy and am going to get it again for Christmas day!

Just a heads up if anyone wants something handy but tasty for their veggie dins on the day!:pac:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

I was thinking of making a nut roast and someone has promised to make me a butternut squash pie thing. Roasties and stuffing is a given. Gravy, lots of gravy. I like this idea of a thread for christmas dinner options!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

It'll be a Dennis Cotter recipe again this year: Cabbage timbale of celeriac & chestnuts with mushrooms in cider cream - http://www.cafeparadiso.ie/recipes/?id=199. Also have the pudding steaming away here in the background - can't beat the veggie Christmas Pudding after a good feed.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Mary-Ellen

I'll be doing mushroom and cashew nut roast on the day :D
    Bought one from M&S last year and it was yum, had a trial run at recreating it a few months ago so I'll ready to go on the big day.

It's really easy to make I'll type it up if anyone wants the recipe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

I'll be getting the M&S nut roast I reckon, though I'm tempted to try and make one myself!

Lots of roasted veggies (mmm brussel sprouts) and of course, chocolate :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭Linguo

It's so important to make sure the Christmas dins is a bit extra special!

There's always the Quorn family roast to fall back on, I like it:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

Mary-Ellen wrote: »
    I'll be doing mushroom and cashew nut roast on the day :D
    Bought one from M&S last year and it was yum, had a trial run at recreating it a few months ago so I'll ready to go on the big day.

It's really easy to make I'll type it up if anyone wants the recipe

Do! Inspire us :)

Linguo wrote: »
    It's so important to make sure the Christmas dins is a bit extra special!

There's always the Quorn family roast to fall back on, I like it:D

I have one of those saved in the freezer down home but tbh other stuff is far tastier.
    what to have for dessert though, always damn pudding which I hate

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭Linguo

True but very very handy and kinda tasty:D

I like the chicken pieces in white sauce in a pastry parcel as well, anything covered in pastry just tastes amazing to me, may add a pastry hat to the avoca bake:pac:

I like a bit of trifle over Christmas but I think we're gonna get the yule log in Avoca as well, looks yum, ah the laziness:p

Or M and S have a wicked looking praline Christmas dessert cake!

I'm dieting so plan to make Christmas Day an epic feast!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

We're having goats cheese and roasted pepper puff pastry parcels. I love all trimmings so I always choose something to make that I can have roasties and mash and veggies with! It's the first year for a fully veggie dinner though, hubby has only gone fully veggie in the last 6 months since we had a bit of a ding-dong about me always having to be the one sharing my meals in restaurants with our little girl cos he ordered meat.

Serves about 4 maybe three for a big xmas feast
    I'm not great for measuring when I cook :o
    Cashew nuts (about 300g) .....blitzed in a blender, I like it with some chunky bits so not all powder
    Slice of bread .....blitzed to breadcrumbs, I use brown but whatever you fancy
    Onion.... finely chopped
    Garlic.... Lots ;) finely chopped
    Mushrooms 200g or whatever the standand packet size is, finely chopped
    Mixed herbs, salt, pepper to season (pretty much any herbs you want)

Put nuts, breadcrumbs and seasoning in a mixing bowl
    Fry onion, garlic and mushrooms in oil/butter and add to the dry ingredients.
    The juices from frying the veg bind it.
    Mix everything together and add to a buttered oven dish and bake on a medium heat for 30-40 minutes untill top is crispy

If the meat's taking longer than expected to cook cover in tin foil to stop the top burning.
    *Shudders at the thought of the cremated quorn chicken I had on Christmas*

And this year I'll have LEFTOVERS :D (I'm thinking nut roast, cranberry and cheese toastie for tea)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

And this year I'll have LEFTOVERS :D (I'm thinking nut roast, cranberry and cheese toastie for tea)

You're physically able to eat another meal after dinner on Christmas?! :eek: Hats off to you! :D

Had this last night and it might suit someone for the dinner:
    http://www.lindamccartneyfoods.co.uk/cheeseleekredonionplaits.php
    They're gorgeous :D

Got them upstairs in the health food shop in Paul street shopping centre in Cork but I've seen them a few other places too

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

cosmic wrote: »
    You're physically able to eat another meal after dinner on Christmas?! :eek: Hats off to you! :D
    Hey, if you ain't got room, you make room. That's what Christmas is all about ;)

Hey, if you ain't got room, you make room. That's what Christmas is all about ;)

and don't forget the other tummy for the sweet things :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

Totally! That one's never full, tbh :D

I'm doing to do a nutroast (recipe above!) and I couldn't resist getting the old Redwood Celebration Roast too for the festive season :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

I got a bit bored with nut roasts and lentil loaves, nice as they are, and I'll be making a mushroom roulade this year.

Sounds more difficult than it is, you just get some nice mushrooms, fry them up with some onion and garlic, and then add some white wine and cream cheese to make a really thick sauce.

In the meantime, you scramble some eggs, put a rectangular tray on the cooker with some oil in and once that's nice and hot pour in the eggs. after a few seconds on the fire, put the tin under the grill to cook the eggs through.

All you need to do then is spread the mushrooms on the rectangular omlette, roll it up and slice it.

Looks and tastes fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Going to try making one or both of these on Friday! Do they keep?

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭flikflak

I asked my parents to do a big Redwoods food shop online so there are lots of yummy things waiting for me at their house for the Christmas pig out!

I have the celebration roast thingy for my main dinner and lots of other treats for the other days mmmmm is it Christmas yet???

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

There are a few good ideas on the BBC's Good Food website - I'm doing a practice run of the layered squash, barley & spinach pie this evening

I'm also intrigued by this nut roast recipe, which can be adapted for vegans

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

Had this last night and it might suit someone for the dinner:
    http://www.lindamccartneyfoods.co.uk/cheeseleekredonionplaits.php
    They're gorgeous :D

Got them upstairs in the health food shop in Paul street shopping centre in Cork but I've seen them a few other places too
    They are AWESOME! Think they can be bought in Supervalu too, at least that's where my mum got them (although the Supervalu near home is massive, so it might not be in the smaller ones).

If tradition continues, I'm probably going to be having some sort of stuffed pasta for xmas dinner, as well as the usual stuff. Last christmas was my first one as a veggie, so I just picked something random I liked :pac: I'd love to try one of the nut roasts, but most of it would probably go to waste :( Going to take a look around M&S next Thursday to see if I can find anything yummy though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

I think i'm going to do the sweet potato and spinach en croute with red wine gravy from the Cornucopia cookbook. Obviously buying ready made pastry as I'd be too stressed to make my own bloody pastry!

Anyone made it before? I'm cooking for carnivores.

Obviously buying ready made pastry as I'd be too stressed to make my own bloody pastry!

Anyone made it before? I'm cooking for carnivores.

Shortcrust pastry is practically all the same. Frozen or homemade.
    If your making it with Filo pastry....I can recommend a better make of fresh sheets. Well if your in Dublin.
    Pies are really simple and satisfying. Always had good luck with them.

Are you cooking meat for the carnis?

Serves about 4 maybe three for a big xmas feast
    I'm not great for measuring when I cook :o
    Cashew nuts (about 300g) .....blitzed in a blender, I like it with some chunky bits so not all powder
    Slice of bread .....blitzed to breadcrumbs, I use brown but whatever you fancy
    Onion.... finely chopped
    Garlic.... Lots ;) finely chopped
    Mushrooms 200g or whatever the standand packet size is, finely chopped
    Mixed herbs, salt, pepper to season (pretty much any herbs you want)

Put nuts, breadcrumbs and seasoning in a mixing bowl
    Fry onion, garlic and mushrooms in oil/butter and add to the dry ingredients.
    The juices from frying the veg bind it.
    Mix everything together and add to a buttered oven dish and bake on a medium heat for 30-40 minutes untill top is crispy
    Tried it tonight and it was delicious. Everyone at the table loved it. Thank you Mary-Ellen :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

I think I'm going to make a Cranberry & Quinoa Cashew nut roast again this year (I had it last year and it was lovely!)

Here's a recipe for anyone interested, it's really lovely.

Ingredients:
    Quinoa - 60g dried
    Margarine/ Vegan Spread or even a little olive oil (although the spread's better) - 2 tbsp
    An onion
    2 cloves of garlic
    175g bread (Brown wholemeal bread is probably best) made into breadcrumbs in a food processor.
    Dried Cranberries- 100g
    Raw Cashew Nuts- 225g
    Thyme, sage, rosemary (around 2 tsps of each, or to taste) , salt, pepper
    Veggie Stock/ Bouillon

It's pretty easy.
    Preheat the oven to 200 C (or 180 for a fan)

First, rinse the quinoa and cook it in twice its volume of water and about half a tsp of stock and leave it simmer until all the water's been absorbed.

Meanwhile, sweat the onion for 5 mins, add the garlic (minced) and sweat for another 5 in 1tbsp margarine.

Put the breadcrumbs in a mixing bowl. Grind up the cashews and mix them in. Then add the quinoa and mix it in- it'll kinda bring it together. Add in the onions and garlic and season with your herbs and salt/pepper.
    Finally, add in most of the cranberries (keep a few back for the top!)

When it's all mixed up well, add in 200ml of veggie stock and stir it in really well.

Spoon the mixture into a loaf tin lined with greaseproof paper (and use a little margarine to grease the paper too)
    Use the cranberries you kept back to decorate the top.

Then, throw it into the oven for around 45-50 minutes. Check on it and make sure it's not browning too fast, if it is cover it in foil for a bit.

That's it!

Instead of cooking it straight away you can leave it over night in the loaf tin and roast it the next day either (Just prepare it on Christmas eve)

Enjoy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

One word: Tofurkey.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

Moonbaby wrote: »
    Shortcrust pastry is practically all the same. Frozen or homemade.
    If your making it with Filo pastry....I can recommend a better make of fresh sheets. Well if your in Dublin.
    Pies are really simple and satisfying. Always had good luck with them.

Are you cooking meat for the carnis?

I bought puff pastry... I thought this would work? I saw it in a similar recipe so got it in the shop. The recipe is complex enough as it is without the added stress of making pastry.

Oh dear me no, they're cooking and bringing their own meat. I'd never cook meat.

I bought puff pastry... I thought this would work? I saw it in a similar recipe so got it in the shop. The recipe is complex enough as it is without the added stress of making pastry.

Puff pastry will work great.
    Oh dear me know, they're cooking and bringing their own meat. I'd never cook meat.

Not so bad so!

I still havent figured out what I want to cook. :/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

bythewoods wrote: »
    I think I'm going to make a Cranberry & Quinoa Cashew nut roast again this year (I had it last year and it was lovely!)

Have mine made and waiting in the fridge to be baked for tomorrow. Soooo excited, mmmmm....

DSCF6263.jpg

• Advertisement
Advertisement