Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question about washers

• 04-12-2011 4:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭

I'm working on an art project that requires several thousand washers, or something washer like.

The washers all need to have the same outer diameter with varying inner diameter widths. Is it even possible to get washers like this or do all washers have an outer diameter twice their inner diameter?

E.g. 1 washer with an OD of 10mm and an ID of 8mm, plus 1 washer with an OD of 10mm and an ID of 6mm etc.

Also, is it possible to get something like a washer but solid (i.e. a metal/plastic solid circle, like a washer but with no hole)

Even better than all that would be square metal pieces with holes in them.

E.g. 10mm squared metal (or plastic) piece with a 8mm hole, and another with a 6mm hole, plus another solid 10mm squared piece.

I could make these myself but I'm limited on time to finish the project so any help would be great. Thanks.

P.S. Not sure if this is the right forum but given it's about washers I figured it was best suited to the DIY forum that the Art forum.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

which do u need, washers or squares in what material and what exact sizes for the internal holes and how many of each and what thickness?
    if 10 is the outside how small are u going with hole and in what sequence
    8/6/4/2
    0r 8/7/6/5/4/3/2/1

if plastic what color/ opaque/transparent etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

The material and colour of the washers aren't important. The washer itself acts as a stencil and is not actually on the finished piece.

The washers should have a 10mm outer diameter with inner diameters ranging from 2mm, 4mm, 6mm and 8mm.

Circular washers (with the 10mm outer diameter) would suffice but square pieces with holes would be better (less work for me).

Here's an image to give a better idea of what I'm asking. The bottom row (squares) are ideal but the top row (circles) would do.

II2LB.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

Your requirements are quite specific and if these washers are only to be used as stencils it might make more sense to purchase a hollow punch set. A set can be used with paired dies to cut washers of varying internal diameters with external diameters remaining the same. Hollow punches can be used to cut cardboard, fibre sheet material, leather and plastics. Something like this might suit:

http://www.axminster.co.uk/boehm-boehm-hollow-punch-sets-prod22429/

Not cheap and not the only way to do this, but gives you flexibility.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

nice link Jack:)

OP: if being used as stencils I would imagine that material thickness and the finish on the cut will impact on the risk of any colors running: not my area of expertise but have seen colors running under stencils in industrial processes..
    also if u punch thin metal the material will inevitably have a slight curve so all the washers would need to sit the same way

Advertisement