Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Placing GPS tracks on OS Maps with ExpertGPS

Options
  • 04-12-2011 4:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi
    As a newbe to this forum I was looking for some help as I can't figure out how my copy of ExpertGPS is behaving as it is. I'm from N Ireland & I've set up the particular preferences for the Ireland OS Map within preferences.
    I have scanned part of an OS map, then calibrated it & finally have inserted my GPS track. The problem is that each time I try to do this the track is showing way off to the left of the actual scanned map. I have tried the same exercise with Google earth and it works perfectly there.
    Is there something very simple like changing a setting that I'm missing. I have only recently purchased ExpertGPS and was looking forward to being able to use it on a weekly basis with my rambling group.
    Can anyone help please and suggest a solution. Will be very grateful if someone can help at this time.
    Also has anyone ever produced a user's guide for ExpertGPs even for an earlier version that would help me in learning this program?

Regards
    Gerald

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭garydubh

Hi
    As a newbe to this forum I was looking for some help as I can't figure out how my copy of ExpertGPS is behaving as it is. I'm from N Ireland & I've set up the particular preferences for the Ireland OS Map within preferences.
    I have scanned part of an OS map, then calibrated it & finally have inserted my GPS track. The problem is that each time I try to do this the track is showing way off to the left of the actual scanned map. I have tried the same exercise with Google earth and it works perfectly there.
    Is there something very simple like changing a setting that I'm missing. I have only recently purchased ExpertGPS and was looking forward to being able to use it on a weekly basis with my rambling group.
    Can anyone help please and suggest a solution. Will be very grateful if someone can help at this time.
    Also has anyone ever produced a user's guide for ExpertGPs even for an earlier version that would help me in learning this program?

Regards
    Gerald

This is a coordinate related isssue. You most likely had georectified the scanned OS map using Irish Grid Coordinates (1965/75 datum) but you must make sure you are using a 6 digit easting and northing (12 numbers) and nothing less - data will transfer from your GPS in Lat/Long (WGS84 datum). Somewhere between these points you have made a mistake.

You should also beware of copyright issues related to scanning OS mapping.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 walkman1943

Hi
    Thanks for your suggestions. Two things. Tried the WGS84 datum as you suggested but no joy. Also take your point about scanning OS maps. It is strictly for personal use & the scan is also a very small part - possibly about an A5 size. Can you think of anything else? Regards, Gerald

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭garydubh

Hi
    Thanks for your suggestions. Two things. Tried the WGS84 datum as you suggested but no joy. Also take your point about scanning OS maps. It is strictly for personal use & the scan is also a very small part - possibly about an A5 size. Can you think of anything else? Regards, Gerald

What coordinates and datum did you rectify the scan with? give me an example of coordinates used with the map scan?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 walkman1943

Hi

Sorry for delay in replying to your post as I have been up to the eyes in work.
    In answer to your question I scanned a section of the Irish Map and then brought it into ExpertGPS. My settings within ExpertGPS preferences show the Irish Map 1965.
    Then I used 3 points to coordinate the map - top right; bottom left and then middle bottom.
    From there I proceeded to merge my waypoints GDB file.
    Still no success. I know it has something to do with coordinates but what is the quesion.
    Thanks again and hope this helps.

Gerald

Advertisement