Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Got a Free Engine but what's it out of?

• 04-12-2011 5:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 576 ✭✭✭

Went to pick up a vintage car that my friend bought yesterday, (It was a Vanden Plas 4 Liter R, I know you were wondering)

There was a spare engine with the car and as we were loading it I spotted another morris engine that the seller was going to throw out :eek: so he said I could have it.

Anybody know exactly what car its from, I'm thinking Morris Minor as it looks similar and has a RWD gearbox. Any other ideas?

DSCF6769.jpg

DSCF6764.jpg

DSCF6762.jpg

DSCF6765.jpg

DSCF6763.jpg

It turns over on the starter, but there seems to be a bad knocking coming from the bottom end, even when turning by hand.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭f4fay

Yes I think your right....Morris Minor !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭rugbyman

Mr Foxman,

might I ask if the 4 litre is Irish and if so ,from what county?

Regards Rugbyman

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

Deffo an B(L)MC A series lump that. If it's from a Minor, then I guess it'll be 1098cc. From memory under the manifold there may be a couple of tappet chest covers, but it's a long time since I've had one in front of me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 576 ✭✭✭MrFoxman360

rugbyman wrote: »
    Mr Foxman,

might I ask if the 4 litre is Irish and if so ,from what county?

Regards Rugbyman

Well we have 3 of them..... and 5 engines!;)

The one we got on saturday is zv reg, owned by a guy form meath for years,

We also have another one that we bought from co. Laois, thats english reg

and another one from Kildare I think is english reg too.

Hopefully we'll have one perfectly restored one by the end of next summer! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭rugbyman

Thank you Foxman,
    the reason I asked was that I have often wondered if anybody has a dark blue one, perhaps two tone , reg as I recall from 40 years ago AIY 272.

Might you know of it?

Rugbyman

• Advertisement

rugbyman wrote: »
    Thank you Foxman,
    the reason I asked was that I have often wondered if anybody has a dark blue one, perhaps two tone , reg as I recall from 40 years ago AIY 272.

Might you know of it?

Rugbyman

haven't heard of that one, I'll keep an eye out though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

Cant ever have been many Irish 4Rs even when current models?

No, very few irish ones, I knew of one, thats all. They weren't produced in huge numbers. They suffered very badly with rust too, which killed many of them, and the fact that they weren't all that special, compared to the like of a RR, means they are few and far between now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

No just a Farina really, but with a Rolls Royce engine. Most have gone round the small oval by now I imagine. Photos always welcome on here.

http://s244.photobucket.com/albums/gg35/MrFoxman360/?action=view&current=vandenshort.mp4

Not to sure how to embed the video above, but here's the still anyway

th_vandenshort.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

jeez that little Badger-thing nearly had your nuts...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

corktina wrote: »
    No just a Farina really, but with a Rolls Royce engine. Most have gone round the small oval by now I imagine.
    28 4Rs, including an Irish Hearse in good order were wrecked at the All Westy meet in July. Though very few if any had original engines, mostly the Austin/Wolseley 6 cyl or Datsun 2.4s.

Much neater styling than the equivilent A110 shell IMO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Kevin_Herron

I used to own an original Irish 4LR, it was MZH22.

28 4Rs, including an Irish Hearse in good order were wrecked at the All Westy meet in July. Though very few if any had original engines, mostly the Austin/Wolseley 6 cyl or Datsun 2.4s.

I saw one of those hearses before it was raced, we actually bought the engine out of it, they had a 2.4 Laurel engine in the car for the track. The other hearse that was raced had the original RR engine as far as I know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 353 ✭✭DaveCol

There was one for sale at the Classic Car Auction in Freshford, Co. Kilkenny way back in 1991 or 1992. First time I ever saw one

Here is the full video of the days happenings

Not to be digging up an older thread but I got a few pics of the other two Vanden Plas 4L R's, a few days ago. I know a few people are interested

Photo0121.jpg

Photo0122.jpg

Photo0123.jpg

Photo0124.jpg

Advertisement