Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New router!

• 04-12-2011 5:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 213 ✭✭

Right, my internet access at home is eircom, and it is pretty dcent, get about 3.5 mb download and about .20 upload speed with a ping of anywhere from 50 to 200 but the ping is killing me for playing online, I hate having to time when I play my xbox so there will be less traffic etc. I was wondering if getting a new router an putting it in my room would help? I have called eircom numeous times but I still get lag times playing fifa or CoD? Can anyone help me with this?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,797 ✭✭✭✭kippy

bobbaggio wrote: »
    Right, my internet access at home is eircom, and it is pretty dcent, get about 3.5 mb download and about .20 upload speed with a ping of anywhere from 50 to 200 but the ping is killing me for playing online, I hate having to time when I play my xbox so there will be less traffic etc. I was wondering if getting a new router an putting it in my room would help? I have called eircom numeous times but I still get lag times playing fifa or CoD? Can anyone help me with this?
    How are you connecting to the router?
    What broadband speed are you paying for?
    Does anyother device/person use the router also?

It is unlikely that purchasing a new router will do anything significant for your ping times.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

I think its due to Eircom using Interleaving on the line to get faster speeds, I think Fastpath is the option you want, but it will drop your dl speed

Nick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 213 ✭✭bobbaggio

What is fastpath?

connecting to the router - wired
    paying for 4 mbps I think, I dont pay it so I'm not sure
    Yes they all use it, 3 iphones in the house, wireless on the laptop and have a home computer. But I make sure that the laptop is turned off, nobody is on the computer and the iphone users aren't using their phones, but their is still lagging, sometimes it doesnt, sometimes it is brutal, but probably 70% of the time, I get lagging, can't even look forward to a game because I don't know if it will be lagging or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Where are the servers located?

when I use speedtest.net, it is saying Galway,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Find out where the servers you are playing on are located, and ping them.

What is fastpath?

connecting to the router - wired
    paying for 4 mbps I think, I dont pay it so I'm not sure
    Yes they all use it, 3 iphones in the house, wireless on the laptop and have a home computer. But I make sure that the laptop is turned off, nobody is on the computer and the iphone users aren't using their phones, but their is still lagging, sometimes it doesnt, sometimes it is brutal, but probably 70% of the time, I get lagging, can't even look forward to a game because I don't know if it will be lagging or not.

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/2182

Contact Eircom if you want to go back to fastpath, but you'll notice a drop in download speed. Also try the_sycos advice, your ping issues may be related to distance rather than this

Nick

How do I find the servers, when I do that test it says galway, when i Ping galway these are the best results, but still the ping is still too high.

Ok, I read that link, thanks, it explains a lot but to be honest, I hate the fact that I have to sacrifice one for the other as I play as much xbox as I do surf the net so it is like choosing your favorite child! So I won't be trying fastpath as it would also be unfair to everyone else in the house who never play xbox! Is there an IP address I can try that will let me know what server I am running on and whether I am on fastpath or not, or low interleaving? Thanks a millions again by the way for all the help, I have some idea of what I am talking about but you guys are class! Thanks

Ok, I read that link, thanks, it explains a lot but to be honest, I hate the fact that I have to sacrifice one for the other as I play as much xbox as I do surf the net so it is like choosing your favorite child! So I won't be trying fastpath as it would also be unfair to everyone else in the house who never play xbox! Is there an IP address I can try that will let me know what server I am running on and whether I am on fastpath or not, or low interleaving? Thanks a millions again by the way for all the help, I have some idea of what I am talking about but you guys are class! Thanks

http://192.168.1.254/indexTroubleshootStatRES.htm?adslRES.htm

This will do it if you have a Netopia, if "Data Path" is set to interleave it could be the issue. Pings of 60-70ms can be quite normal to certain close servers with interleaving on, although it may not affect your online games. You will need to find the server IP or domain name to ping it, is it an xbox 360 game or pc game? Xbox live is usually peer to peer so it may be the connection from the 360 to router is the issue, or the host

Nick

• Advertisement

yeah datapack is set to interleave! That must be the problem, yeah it is an xbox game, yeah that ping seems pretty decent like, 50 is not bad but I just was wondering if there was anything I could do to prevent me from turning my laptop off and making sure nobody is on their phone before I play a game of fifa! Ya' know? But thanks folks, I appreciate it, and now I know about interleaving! Thanks again

Advertisement