Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hours reduced from 40 to 25 a year ago...can my employer reduce it again??

Options
  • 04-12-2011 6:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 43

Hi all- constructive advice please :)
    I am the longest standing employee in the company. A year ago, my employer asked me to take the lead and 'take a hit for the company' and reduce to a 3 day week as an axample to the other employees. I reluctantly did this, and our verbal agreement was that it was a temporary arrangement, and that the new hours would be worked over three days so I could claim half dole. Now my manager tells me my hours are to be cut again, and may well be spread over 5 days, therefore less money and I will be unable to claim half dole. Can he do this in light of our verbal agreement, and without first talking to me but going through my manager? Please help!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭as125634do

less than 25hrs over 5 days impossible

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Eire362436

5 hours x 5 shifts... quite possible in my workplace I'm afraid! Question is, is it legal?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭as125634do

you should consult someoneelse if no-one can answer the question on boards

I will do- but I also people on here tend to have a wealth of experience also, and I appreciate all efforts to help :)

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Have other people in the company taken the cut in hours that you have?
    Is your boss trying to get rid of you?
    By changing your hours to 25 hours a week over 5 day meaning you can't sign on therefore your wage makes it impossible to stay with your present employer.
    I think you employer wants you to leave rather than pay you redundancy.
    If your employer asks you this again I would say to them I need time to think about this. I would seek legal advice from some one with experience in employment law and bring your work contract for them to see.
    When your in work see if you can gather any dirt about your boss or the company. If you have computer access get a few memory sticks and bring out a much information as possible on them. I know some one who was in a similar position to you but they had some dirt dug which put them a good position when they had boss problems.
    Why should you leave your job to make life easy on your boss.

• Advertisement

wise words, wise woman :) The manager has not sent me a copy of the roster- this always comes to me via email. This suggests to me they don't want me to see what the more junior staff are working- I know they have more hours than me. And yes, I believe they want me out- the owner also spits on the idea of redundancy- his track record is to squeeze staff until they can no longer afford to work there. The last guy was reduced to 24 hours over 6 days- he left. I can't claim half dole (and use up my precious 'stamps' through no fault of my own) if they spread it over 5 days. The manager text me to say I'm down for 16 hours this week, and that he doesn't recognise my verbal contract for 24 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hello Eire 362436,
    I would only communicate by email to to the boss in regards to your hours. You need to be printing out and keeping all emails re your hours. You need to get legal advice from an employment solicitor asap & start getting dirt on your boss.
    You need to find out what hours your co workers are doing. Why not have a general chat with them - like how are things going? I am sure you are not the only one getting hassle from your boss. How do the other people you work with feel about your boss?
    See if you can speak to some one in accounts as some one being treated badly may give you some useful information.
    I would ask the local welfare office if you work 16 to 25 hours a week over 5 days what are you entitled to? If you don't have the part dole payment which you need to live on can you get jobseekers allowance or benefit if you leave your job.
    I would not leave this job to suit your boss. I would not do or say anything to you boss ie what you think of them. If they want you to leave they will have to pay you redundancy.
    If they sack you you can go for unfair dismisel.
    Let us know what is happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

wise woman wrote: »
    When your in work see if you can gather any dirt about your boss or the company.
    If you have computer access get a few memory sticks and bring out a much information as possible on them

I missed the bit in bold when I read this before.

Agree that looking for informaiton about the manager can be an option. However removing it from the premises could be breaking the law and/or your contract, so is not something that we recommend here on boards.ie.

Also, if the information could be considered personal, rather than work-related, you could be breaking privacy laws by collecting it.

/moderation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Wile E. Coyote

Eire362436 wrote: »
    The manager text me to say I'm down for 16 hours this week, and that he doesn't recognise my verbal contract for 24 hours.

Have you a contract that states your working week is 40hrs? If so then tell him your also no longer recognising the verbal agreement and you want to go back to your contractual agreement of 40hrs per week.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭knick_knack

Have you a contract that states your working week is 40hrs? If so then tell him your also no longer recognising the verbal agreement and you want to go back to your contractual agreement of 40hrs per week.

thats pretty good advice if you've still not signed anything new. Keep us posted on whats going on

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 jpaulb

Hello Eire362436,
    This is wise woman. I just want to know how your job is going now.

Advertisement