Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Transformer from USA

• 04-12-2011 7:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

My son was given a present of a Lionel " POLAR EXPRESS " train set about four years ago. It came from the States. The following are details of the transformer that was supplied with the train set,
    Model : CW-80
    I/P : 120VAC, 60Hz
    O/P : 18VAC/80W
    P/N : 6-14198.

I went to a PEATS store to get a step up transformer. Details of the transformer I got from PEATS are,
    Model : 651.004UK
    Input : 240v-50Hz
    cos = 0.2
    Output : AC 120v 100W.

When I use the transformer I got in Peats, the train did about two laps around the track and then blew the transformer. I got a new transformer from the States and that blew as well.
    My son is very anxious to get this working
    Can anyone advise me on what type of transformer to buy here.
    Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,526 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I assume that you connected the Peats transformer to the original transformer i.e. you fed 120V from the Peats transformer into the original transformer that came with the train set?

Please confirm that you did not connect the Peats transformer direct to the train set.

The only issue I can see is that that the output from the original transformer is AC while most toy motors are DC so the frequency might be an issue, did the Peats transformer output at 50 or 60 Hz?

In terms of specs. the Peats transformer should have done the job, it's a higher power rating (100W vs. 80W) than the original transformer and it's outputting the right voltage.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Bakugan

Thanks for the reply coylemj,
    I connected the Peats transformer to the train set transformer first. You can't connect the Peats transformer directly to the train set because of the two pin plug on the train set transformer. The Peats transformer is an AC to AC converter, I'm not too sure about the train set transformer/controller.
    It doesn't say on the Peats transformer anything about the output Hz, only the input Hz is at 50Hz, it just says on the transformer, Output : AC120v 100w.
    Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭JohnnyTodd

I do something very similar with my laptop with no issues.

I had one problem a few moths ago but it was the fuse that was blown

Its the train set transformer that keeps blowing, I think it is the fuse but you cant replace the fuse, you have to replace the whole transformer/controller.
    What Irish transformer can I buy to stop the train set transformer/controller from blowing.
    cheers

That Peats transformer calls itself a 'Step Down Voltage Converter' so it's only changing the voltage and not the frequency.

http://avslgroup.com/en/product/651.004UK

That means that you're pumping a 50Hz AC feed to a device that is expecting 60 Hz AC. Given that the US transformer outputs 18V AC to the train set, it's likely that the frequency is the issue (wouldn't matter if the motors were DC) so you probably need a true mains converter i.e. 220V 50Hz in, 120V 60Hz out and not just a simple 2:1 transformer which is all that that Peats gadget is.

If the US transformer was outputting DC then the input frequency probably wouldn't matter but as the device iteslf (the train motor) is AC then the frequency does matter. That Peats gadget would work for something like a 110V US phone charger (AC in, DC out) brought to Europe but where the gadget is expecting an AC feed you need something better than a simple voltage converter.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭JohnnyTodd

Can u not just buy a step up frequency device? This will get you up to 60 cycles per second

JohnnyTodd wrote: »
    Can u not just buy a step up frequency device? This will get you up to 60 cycles per second

Does such a device exist without changing the voltage?

Interesting line in this article which might point to the frequency being the culprit, bearing in mind that the US transformer is being fed 50 Hz though it's built to take 60 Hz and it is the device that's failing (underscoring is mine)...

Equipment with high-powered motors or internal transformers designed to operate at 60 Hz may overheat at 50 Hz even if the voltage supplied is correct.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voltage_converter#Mains_converters

Thanks for the advice
    I'll let you know the outcome
    cheers

What do you plan on doing next?

coylemj wrote: »
    What do you plan on doing next?

I will go back to peats and I will also try maplins to see if they have the appropriate transformer,
    Is there anywhere else I could try.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Most American transformers are not rated for 50Hz, and will overheat significantly if they are run on 50Hz. If the product is designed for use with 50Hz then this will not happen, which is why computer equipment is OK. Most domestic stuff like toys are over-rated so they can be cheap.

Get a transformer that inputs 230V 50Hz and outputs 16V 50HZ (or so) and dispense with the American one completely. (Reducing the output voltage will reduce the likelyhood of the motors in the train being damaged. Look at the train controler and see if the voltage is rectified within it, it probably is.

Advertisement