Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

R plates?

• 04-12-2011 7:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭

Hi all, I was wondering if anyone has an info on when the R plates are coming into effect here? Someone yesterday told me that it's in the next few weeks?

I have my provisional licence since April 2010, and have been properly driving around since September this year, had about 3 lessons with an instructor during the summer. So am I right in assuming that I wont have to use the R plates no matter when I get my full licence? And that the 12 compulsory lessons don't effect me? And what happens when you move on to your second provisional?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 415 ✭✭matt70iu

Hi

I believe the R plates rule will only apply to those who pass their test after the new rules are brought in. My sister asked her ADI that question and that is what he seemed to think.

So if you pass your test before the new rules come in, you won't have to display R plates. They'll more than likely use the same phasing in system that they used when introducing the EDT for learner permit holders.

Of course they may do it differently but only time will tell:)

Best thing to do is put in for and pass your test asap.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭TheJinMu

Thanks for your advice :)

Any idea when these new rules are coming in?

No worries, from what I've heard, there's no date set. The system will more than likely be very similar to what they have up north. The driving test is also due to be modified.

It will soon include things like parallel parking, but again, there's no date set for that either. Could have done with learning how to parallel park TBH as it's still a weak point for me:) Have no problems with reversing as it was part of what was required in the test.

Best of luck with the test, if ya don't get it keep trying. Didn't get it till my third attempt:)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,396 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

matt70iu wrote: »
    It will soon include things like parallel parking, but again, there's no date set for that either. Could have done with learning how to parallel park TBH as it's still a weak point for me:) Have no problems with reversing as it was part of what was required in the test.

This video helped me a lot when I was learning to parallel park.
    - obviously different cars will have slightly different techniques, but the general routine tends to work ok for me, unless I'm driving a particularly large car!

The best way to improve parallel parking is to go to some quiet residential street where there's lots of spaces to reverse parallel park into but not much traffic so you can take your time. Once you master that, it's easy enough to apply your skills to traffic! It's not actually that difficult of a manouvre, it just can be a bit nervy while getting used to it when there's a queue of traffic waiting behind you for you to finish, and you don't want to rush it and end up at an awkward angle (and potentially needing to pull back out slightly to fix yourself).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,040 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

matt70iu wrote: »
    Hi

I believe the R plates rule will only apply to those who pass their test after the new rules are brought in. My sister asked her ADI that question and that is what he seemed to think.

So if you pass your test before the new rules come in, you won't have to display R plates. They'll more than likely use the same phasing in system that they used when introducing the EDT for learner permit holders.

Of course they may do it differently but only time will tell:)

It'll properly be on when you apply for your licence not when you pass your test.

ie The 25kw restriction on A licences is from the date of licence issue not from the date of passing the test. Several people have been caught out be this little trick.
    Best thing to do is put in for and pass your test asap.

+1

• Advertisement

Del2005 wrote: »
    It'll properly be on when you apply for your licence not when you pass your test.

ie The 25kw restriction on A licences is from the date of licence issue not from the date of passing the test. Several people have been caught out be this little trick.

I'd say you could be right on that one, would make the most sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,348 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Hi OP,

I have looked up the RSA website and can't find any particular date but it was to be some time after September 2011, going into the fourth quarter of 2011 or 2012 I think? There is a PDF file showing the proposed dates can't seem to find that file. For the moment I think issuing the R plates is being discussed and in progress and might not be rolled out for another few more months but think it be before next year is out!

Check out the RSA website will have info on 'R Plates'. Here are a few links:

http://www.rsa.ie/Utility/News/2010/RSA-announce-nine-additional-measures-to-protect-learner-and-inexperienced-drivers/

http://www.rsa.ie/Documents/Learner%20Drivers/GDL/FAQ%20Graduated%20Driver%20Licensing.pdf

http://www.rsa.ie/Documents/Learner%20Drivers/GDL/Graduated%20Driving%20Licensing%20Recommendations%202009.pdf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 255 ✭✭SellingJuan

Simple!! If you got yout provissional after April 4th you have to complete 12 lesson and use R Plates when you pass you test.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭paulmclaughlin

Incorrect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Simple!! If you got yout provissional after April 4th you have to complete 12 lesson and use R Plates when you pass you test.

That is not correct.

There is no R plate system in use in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Mister Jingles

Not effected by this but either way there is or isn't there going to be an R plate system in Ireland as first speculated months ago ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bobby42

All I can find on the RSA site is that the legislation is still being written. Gonna do my driving test as soon as I can.

Advertisement