Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Forestry as a career

• 04-12-2011 8:18pm

Hi guys

I'm currently working at the moment in media and advertising but I'm looking at a complete career change at the minute (mid twenties) and would love to get involved in another passion of mine which happens to be forestry. I'm just finding out what the job prospects are like as I assume I'd need to go back to college (is this essential? Already have a degree and don't fancy going back unless it's essential)

So has anyone any advice for me? Would love to hear it.

Cheers :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16 temujinhayes

i made a switch to working in the forestry world about 7 years ago, i was then 30. i did a forestry diploma through the national school of forestry in penrith in england, had to attend college there 4 weeks spread over the academic year. best move i ever made! now work as an independent forester, tough work but i wouldn't go back. lots of forestry organisations to join, i would reccommend prosilva ireland as a good starting point. very progressive. good luck!

Thanks a lot for the reply. That's a nice positive success story. And are there jobs in the industry nowadays?

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Peter T

Jobs are getting tight now, my girlfriends father was a very experienced opperator with a good reputation and was left go a few weeks ago. He tried applying with a few other contractors but no joy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭greenfingers89

Peter T wrote: »
    Jobs are getting tight now, my girlfriends father was a very experienced opperator with a good reputation and was left go a few weeks ago. He tried applying with a few other contractors but no joy

was he a forester or operating a harvester? i thought forester positions were popping up now and again, have heard of 3 positions going since august....

.......also theentrepreneur..pm'd you

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Peter T

He was operating a harvester but his boss shut up shop. He's getting odd jobs on the saw now for a friend of his, usually 1 or 2 days a week

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 bml

Hello temujinhayes
    I'm just enquiring about the diploma you studied in england.
    I'm working in forestry at the minute but would like to study it more.
    could I email you about this course just to see what you though of it??
    Thanks.
    bml

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

An alternative to forestry, but in a similar vein is arboriculture:

http://www.merristwood.ac.uk/SubjectAreas/Arboriculture.aspx

as they point out on the website:

Become a…tree surgeon, work local authorities as a tree officer, inspector, town planner or consultant; for national parks and gardens as an arborist, supervisor or woodland manager; or work as a self-employed arboricultural contractor and many more…!

They do a fantastic course either certificate (1 Year) or diploma (2 years) and the college is well known worldwide.

I returned to college after being made redundent from an office job in the 90's and it was the best experience of my life and very rewarding. The tutors were excellent and very patient. I was in my mid 30's

Some forestry is also covered in the course.

Advertisement