Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Martial Arts Class Limerick City Centre

Options
  • 04-12-2011 8:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm rehabilitating from a torn ACL and I want to get back into Martial Arts again. I had previously only taken very low level Karate. I'd be looking in the Limerick City Centre area; living on O'Connell Ave area.

I'm not into collecting belts or anything, I don't think I'd be able to attend super regularly, but I want an easy going dojo or trainer.

I'm a struggling student so cost might be an issue as well: sub €10 would be my bracket ideally!

Thank guys,

constantg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭judosean2005

There is SOOO many threads about this,
    But hes my best two off hand:own preference here.

For self Defence i recommend the Waza Kai with Mike carrol and son.
    Both very good martial artists.they have moved around recently from place to place,but loads of posters up.Seen one in Spar henry street today.

Secondly i highly recommend Ger and fegal in combatsports centre.
    They do soo many types of martial arts,one is bound to suit you.

My preference is Ger in combatsports.
    Great guy adn wont push u in any direction u dont wanna go.

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=581081563#!/combatsports.centre

Best of luck and take care of the Lig.

Burkie

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,892 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

The Drifter and I both train with Mike and Mikey in the Waza Kai Ju Jitsu club, so you'd be in good company there! :)

They're just off O'Connell Avenue, on St. Gerrard's Street. New Facebook page is here: http://www.facebook.com/WazaKaiJuJitsu PM me for more info.

judosean2005 mentions the Combatsports Centre as well, and from everything I've heard it's a very good club too. MMA or BJJ, depending on which nights of the week you want to train. No idea of training/membership fees, but I think they have a website as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

Again cant sing enough praise for Waza Kai club has had a major impact on my life from friends to self defence to fitness the place has become like home at this stage I spend so much time there.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Soulcrew09

judosean2005 mentions the Combatsports Centre as well, and from everything I've heard it's a very good club too. MMA or BJJ, depending on which nights of the week you want to train. No idea of training/membership fees, but I think they have a website as well.

E50 a month but theres training 5/6 days/nights a week. MMA/BJJ/Judo/Wrestling/Boxing at catered for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 961 ✭✭✭TEMPLAR KNIGHT

The Drifter and I both train with Mike and Mikey in the Waza Kai Ju Jitsu club, so you'd be in good company there! :)

They're just off O'Connell Avenue, on St. Gerrard's Street. New Facebook page is here: http://www.facebook.com/WazaKaiJuJitsu PM me for more info.

was interested in this for a while whats the situation like, how often is training, times, price etc?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,892 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

was interested in this for a while whats the situation like, how often is training, times, price etc?

Adults classes are Tuesdays and Thursdays, 19:00 to 20:30/20:45.

The price varies depending on how often you train.

A single class is €10.
    4 classes a month (once a week) for €30.
    8/9 classes a months (twice a week) for €60.

If you pay the €60 at the start of the month there's an additional session on Saturday mornings (11:30, I think) at no extra cost. That would work out at around €5 per session if you did all 12 in the month, but not everyone has the funds for that every month.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭SuperWoody101

There is also the Pankration Kickboxing Academy on the Ballysimon Road.

Pankration Kickboxing Academy

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Delighted to see Mike Carroll getting mentions. An excellent sensei and a good guy. He is a man who has a great interest in styles, and is very respectful of other disciplines.

I know that he is highly regarded by many, and I think he may know another man I highly respect in Renshi Mark Hayden-Smith.

OP, you will not go wrong with Sensei Mike Carroll, and whether you just wish to reignite a desire to learn or simply rebalance yourself after your injury, I can think of no better man in Limerick for you.

Advertisement