Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stabbing on Kirean St

Options
  • 04-12-2011 8:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

was walking down Kirean St earlier and the Gards had the place closed off near the back of Dunnes.

Apparently there was a stabbing down there this evening. Anyone know what happened?

On a side note, the Gards had a Nissan patrol parked half up on the footpath on Rose Inn St, causing nothing short of chaos down there to traffic. Why they couldn't park up on Bateman Quay out of the way is baffling.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Heard a couple of rumours on friendface but don't really think I should be posting them here, particularly if the poor man is seriously injured or worse.

Heard it happened on Rose Inn Street, ? thats why the Guards parked there

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

dooferoaks wrote: »
    Heard a couple of rumours on friendface but don't really think I should be posting them here, particularly if the poor man is seriously injured or worse.

Heard it happened on Rose Inn Street, ? thats why the Guards parked there

Oh I agree about posting any rumours etc, just wondering if it was a fight gone wrong or if someone was mugged etc.

Thought it was Kirean St, thats where they had taped off at least and there was no problems walking down Rose Inn St, I may be wrong though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Davaeo09

Hi folks!
    My grandmother just called in on her way home from town and told me about this so I said i'd chance the forums and see did any one know what happened.

She was walking up the steps at the back of Dunnes and the security guards were stopping people, and they said it was the Asian guy who owns that shop on rose inn street with electronics and gadgets who was stabbed. I don't know him personally but he seemed a nice guy from his general demeanour.

Just sharing what I know and I for one really hope that there are no fatalities!

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Silverscott

Davaeo09 wrote: »
    Hi folks!
    My grandmother just called in on her way home from town and told me about this so I said i'd chance the forums and see did any one know what happened. I don't know him personally but he seemed a nice guy from his general demeanour.

She was walking up the steps at the back of Dunnes and the security guards were stopping people, and they said it was the Asian guy who owns that shop on rose inn street with electronics and gadgets who was stabbed.

Just sharing what I know and I for one really hope that there are no fatalities!

Is it the guy in the blue coloured phone shop. Or have i missed the electronics and gadgets shop ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭mousehouse

Yep it was the guy who owns the phone and gadget shop on Rose Inn street, a guy went in and tried to rob him so he ran after him up kieran street where he was stabbed. Kilkenny is going down hill fast....The guy is trying to make a living and some scum bag does this. I hope he is caught., a guy went in and tried to rob him so he ran after him up kieran street where he was stabbed. Kilkenny is going down hill fast....The guy is trying to make a living and some scum bag does this. I hope he is caught.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

I find this shocking and takes me back to when Alan Cunniffe was shot after he chased a robber. I hope his punishment will be severe but it certainly won't be sufficient.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Lord Derpington

I've edited out the identity of the victim until it's reported on a "real" news site, I'll restore it then.

I find this shocking and takes me back to when Alan Cunniffe was shot after he chased a robber. I hope his punishment will be severe but it certainly won't be sufficient.

According to the kilkenny people it was a shop worker anyanyway

[URL] http://www.kilkennypeople.ie/news/local/shop_worker_stabbed_in_kilkenny_city_1_3309095 [/URL]

• Registered Users Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Benny Cake

greenfly wrote: »
    According to the kilkenny people it was a shop worker anyanyway

[URL] http://www.kilkennypeople.ie/news/local/shop_worker_stabbed_in_kilkenny_city_1_3309095 [/URL]

Dirty scumbag, hope the victim makes a full recovery..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

Time to get the Guards armed and on the streets doing regular patrols. Not sitting back in the Station house waiting for stuff to happen.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

JohnMc1 wrote: »
    Time to get the Guards armed and on the streets doing regular patrols. Not sitting back in the Station house waiting for stuff to happen.

I don't think they should be armed, this will encourage criminals to carry guns. I completely agree with being more visible though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Davidian_ie

Criminals have little or no fear of the Gardai anymore. Punishment doesn't fit crime in this country of wrist slappers. Biggest problem for Gardai is that they seem to be understaffed now and with overtime cuts being implemented, it looks like it is going to be open season for criminals.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭1984baby

I heard that one of the guys who was arrested for this has already been convicted of armed robbery of a jewellers in Kilkenny already. And recently he robbed an old women outside a church and broke her hip - He is awaiting trial on this. How is this guy still on the streets - it's a joke. I have been in that shop a few times and the man who got stabbed seems nice. It's not easy opening up a new store these days and then having to deal with this s**t. He'll prob be out of action now for a few weeks when this should be his busiest time of the year. I hope the 2 arrested get a lengthy sentence.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Arawn

1984baby wrote: »
    I heard that one of the guys who was arrested for this has already been convicted of armed robbery of a jewellers in Kilkenny already. And recently he robbed an old women outside a church and broke her hip - He is awaiting trial on this. How is this guy still on the streets - it's a joke. I have been in that shop a few times and the man who got stabbed seems nice. It's not easy opening up a new store these days and then having to deal with this s**t. He'll prob be out of action now for a few weeks when this should be his busiest time of the year. I hope the 2 arrested get a lengthy sentence.
    They won't, It's Ireland

Agreed. The sentences here are a joke. Then the Court of Appeals make an already light sentence even lighter. There's no justice in this Country.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Silverscott

Is he a kilkenny lad ? Heard it might be a lad from another county. Do you know his initails ?

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭phkk

From Co. Kilkenny alright,he should get a good batin'... only thing these thugs understand.
    My heart goes out to this man and his family,truly awful thing to have happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭highgiant1985

Is he a kilkenny lad ? Heard it might be a lad from another county. Do you know his initails ?

The guy that was arrested is from Kilkenny. The exact town and his name was printed in the local free newspaper that gets popped through the doors on a friday, if I can find it I'll post up the article. It may already be in the bin though.

The guy that was arrested is from Kilkenny. The exact town and his name was printed in the local free newspaper that gets popped through the doors on a friday, if I can find it I'll post up the article. It may already be in the bin though.
    Man remanded in custody following city centre stabbing

Kilkenny Advertiser, December 09, 2011.
    By Naoise Coogan
    A man was arrested and remanded in custody following a stabbing attack in the city last weekend.
    Liam Foley, with an address at 22 Woodlands Estate in Graiguenamanagh was charged at Kilkenny District Court on Monday with assault and robbery following the stabbing.
    A man is still recovering in St Luke’s hospital following the assault which occurred following the robbery of the shop where he worked on Rose Inn Street on Sunday afternoon.
    He is understood to be in a stable condition following his traumatic ordeal which left him with multiple stab wounds.
    The man spent several days in the intensive care unit at St Luke’s Hospital this week where he was treated for at least four stab wounds to his body.
    The victim, an employee of a phone shop was seriously injured after he followed the thief who had come into the shop and stolen cash from the premises at 5pm on Sunday afternoon.
    The employee chased the thief down Rose Inn Street and onto Kieran St where the culprit realised he was being followed. He subsequently turned around and approached the man and allegedly stabbed him several times with a knife.
    The attack left the employee with several stab wounds including one to his arm, his hand and his chest. He was rushed to St Luke’s Hospital where he was immediately treated for his injuries.
    Gardai were called to the scene following frantic calls from local business people and two men were arrested some time later on Cootes Lane in the city. Having tried to flee the scene, Gardai caught up with the two men and they were detained.
    Cash was found and the men were taken to Kilkenny Garda Station for questioning.
    One man was released without charge while a second man, Liam Foley was detained and appeared before Kilkenny District Court on Monday. He was remanded in custody.

There's the article from the advertiser.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭phkk

Man remanded in custody following city centre stabbing

Kilkenny Advertiser, December 09, 2011.
    By Naoise Coogan
    A man was arrested and remanded in custody following a stabbing attack in the city last weekend.
    Liam Foley, with an address at 22 Woodlands Estate in Graiguenamanagh was charged at Kilkenny District Court on Monday with assault and robbery following the stabbing.
    A man is still recovering in St Luke’s hospital following the assault which occurred following the robbery of the shop where he worked on Rose Inn Street on Sunday afternoon.
    He is understood to be in a stable condition following his traumatic ordeal which left him with multiple stab wounds.
    The man spent several days in the intensive care unit at St Luke’s Hospital this week where he was treated for at least four stab wounds to his body.
    The victim, an employee of a phone shop was seriously injured after he followed the thief who had come into the shop and stolen cash from the premises at 5pm on Sunday afternoon.
    The employee chased the thief down Rose Inn Street and onto Kieran St where the culprit realised he was being followed. He subsequently turned around and approached the man and allegedly stabbed him several times with a knife.
    The attack left the employee with several stab wounds including one to his arm, his hand and his chest. He was rushed to St Luke’s Hospital where he was immediately treated for his injuries.
    Gardai were called to the scene following frantic calls from local business people and two men were arrested some time later on Cootes Lane in the city. Having tried to flee the scene, Gardai caught up with the two men and they were detained.
    Cash was found and the men were taken to Kilkenny Garda Station for questioning.
    One man was released without charge while a second man, Liam Foley was detained and appeared before Kilkenny District Court on Monday. He was remanded in custody.

There's the article from the advertiser.

The sooner he's taken off the streets, the better

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

10 years hard labour on a chain gang!
    Theres your crime rates,infrastructural deficit and overcrowded prisons sorted in one fell swoop.

• Advertisement

hi5 wrote: »
    Theres your crime rates,infrastructural deficit and overcrowded prisons sorted in one fell swoop.

Agreed, but you just know some stupid bleeding hearts will be out crying that we're torturing that poor soul.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

hi5 wrote: »

In fairness the council are doing a **** enough job on our infrastructure as it is, would it really be wise to let criminals look after it?

Couldn't be much worse i suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

Sky King wrote: »
    In fairness the council are doing a **** enough job on our infrastructure as it is, would it really be wise to let criminals look after it?

Maybe the council are widening all the footpaths so future prisoners have something to do when they are on the chain gang?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Arawn

Sky King wrote: »

Already are a bunch of criminals looking after it.

Over crowded prisons??? Like **** turn it into Carandiru prison in Brazil then let the scummers complain about our prisons.

Arawn wrote: »
    Already are a bunch of criminals looking after it.

Over crowded prisons??? Like **** turn it into Carandiru prison in Brazil then let the scummers complain about our prisons.

A friend of mine had to spend a couple of weeks in the Bangkok Hilton for possession of tiny amount of weed, reckons his parents paid his way out. Anyway, he was saying, he was never told how long he was going in for and the cell was crammed and when they slept there wasn't enough room for everyone to lie down flat so someone could be on top of his leg or vise versa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

I don't think they should be armed, this will encourage criminals to carry guns.

:confused: but don't criminals already carry guns, also a huge arsenal of them.

zenno wrote: »
    :confused: but don't criminals already carry guns, also a huge arsenal of them.

Yes and there's a rapid response unit to deal with them. If a criminal knew the garda he was facing had a gun, the criminal would be more likely to pull his trigger which would, in my opinion would lead to more gardaí being shot. Also if criminals knew the gardaí were armed, I believe it would encourage more criminals of less serious crimes to carry guns. I think the overall effect would be negative.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Yes and there's a rapid response unit to deal with them. If a criminal knew the garda he was facing had a gun, the criminal would be more likely to pull his trigger which would, in my opinion would lead to more gardaí being shot. Also if criminals knew the gardaí were armed, I believe it would encourage more criminals of less serious crimes to carry guns. I think the overall effect would be negative.

Would be interesting to see the figures for the North where the PSNI routinely carry firearms. Regardless, not sure it would make a difference to drug addled pond life, who need money for their next drugs, what the police do or dont carry.

Advertisement