Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

loose speaker cable - want to put a head on it to connect to CD player

Options
  • 04-12-2011 8:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭

Sorry this title is probably a bit confusing, but I'm lacking in the techno lingo....

Basically I have two speakers and each has 4 loose cable endings (grey, blue, black and red (-- and ++) - these clip into the associated CD player in the back into clamp type connectors. I now don't want this CD player anymore, but I want to keep the speakers and I want to plug them into a different device, that has an audio connection - a red and a white jack (R and L). So I need to somehow combine the 4 cables into 1 - so do I just buy the right head/plug for the hole and combine the 4 cables? And if that is the case, do maplins or peats sell those type heads I need?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Generally speaking RED and WHITE RCA plugs (Phono) are LINE level signals incapable of driving speakers without some form of a power amplifier. Without seeing your speakers I would guess that they are either bi-wired - separate cables for woofer and tweeter or are some type of pseudo surround setup.

What is the device you're trying to connect to by the way ?

Ken

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭cltt97

Many thanks Zener, I've attached pics of the speakers. and I want to connect to this CD/DVD player

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Looks like the speakers are bi-wired. Separate cables for woofer (low frequency) and tweeter (high frequencies). You're going to need a crossover to use the with anything other than the amplifier they came with.

A crossover separates the low and high frequencies and sends them to the appropriate speaker - woofer or tweeter. You can buy or indeed make theses but to be honest I doubt they are worth the expense.

The cd player or rather BD player you've linked to doesn't have a built in amplifier so you will need to get some form of amp and a set of speakers.

Perhaps it would be better to get a complete home cinema system based around a Blueray player ? Something like these ?

Ken

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭cltt97

Thanks a mill for all your help Zener! Pity, I had hoped I could do something with those speakers and I did not really want to spend any more money on speakers - I bought those Aldi Vivanco WIFI ones so I could listen to music in the garden and they worked well for a while and then the transmitter died and it seems I can't get them fixed anywhere and the manufacturer has not gotten back to me. So I feel like I'm drowning in useless speakers and I had hoped that I can do something with at least the wired ones....

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭clint_eastman

Hi Zener, it looks like you know what you're talking about. I've a quick question. I've got some ceiling speakers that are cabled back behind my TV, the cable for each speaker is white and has 2 cores. How do I connect this up to my tv or to a dvd player? I've already connected 2 other speakers to a mini hi fi in the kitchen which had the clip mechanisms at the back for its own speakers. So I put 1 core of each speaker cable (so 4 wires) into the 4 clips separately and it works fine... Do I need an amp for the TV or DVD player or simply plug tops for direct connection?

• Advertisement
Advertisement