Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repeating Leaving Cert as an external candidate ?

• 04-12-2011 9:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 470 ✭✭

Hello all !
    So I'm trying to sort a plan B if I don't get the course that I really want to do.
    I was thinking about repeating LC. However I'm not feeling like spending another year in school. I thought about doing my LC again as an external candidate I would pick the same subjects as I am doing now etc. How does it work ? Do you just sit at home and study and than do your LC in a normal school or do you have to report your work to someone ? Obviously I will try my best to get my course this year but you always need a plan B :)
    Thx for replying

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 486 ✭✭hollingr

I am repeating my l.c this year externally, just two subjects which I never did before though (chemistry and biology) to increase my chances of getting into medicine as a mature student.

If you are an external candidate you are not affiliated with any school, you are your own boss, master of your own destiny. The only thing they give you is an exam centre where you will sit your subjects. As far as I know applications close end of January.

I wouldn't suggest repeating a full leaving cert externally, it's a hell of a lot to organise and self-motivate to do the work required to actually improve on your results from last year if they aren't good enough. In my opinion there are definitely better options availble to you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 470 ✭✭angela1711

But how can you repeat 2 subjects only ? Do you think it is better to do a PLC or repeat LC in school ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 486 ✭✭hollingr

I got the points I need to get in as a mature student, but I never did chemistry and biology so that is going against me and would mean i'd have to do foundation year of med which I don't want to have to do.

so there is no point in me repeating the whole thing, for this and various other reasons. forget about me though, it's very irrelevant as your situation is completely different! I am a mature student which changes things alot.

Depending on your financial situation (or of your parents if its them fronting the bills!) another year in school might be the best option.

My advice would be to put everything into getting the points you need this year, and focus on that to make sure you won't need plan B!

If plan B is necessary, you will have plenty of time to look into it once you are finished the leaving and have a better idea of how you did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 470 ✭✭angela1711

Yeah I guess you are right. I think I will speak to my guidance consular and she will probably give me a lot of different ideas of how to get into my course if I don't get the points this year. Anyway thx for replying :)

Advertisement