Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Intel or AMD CPU for gaming PC?

Options
  • 04-12-2011 9:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭

Hey all,
    I was recently talking with one of my mates about a potential PC build, and he was of the opinion that AMD CPU's were as good/better than intel's for gaming as all the hyperthreading etc. that the intels have don't do a lot for games, and that this coupled with the fact that AMD rarely change their mobo sockets that an amd based pc was the way to go. there's obviously the cost benefit too if you're stuck for cash.

However I have noticed that most if not all of the gaming builds suggested here include i3/i5/i7 so...

Any opinions with out this turning into a great big intel v AMD flame war? Thanks guys :cool:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

AMD used to be better value, but at the moment Intel blows AMD out of the water at all but the lowest price-points. (i.e., not gaming builds).

tl;dr - Intel FTW.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Gaming pc - i5 2500k
    Budget pc gaming i5 2400

If anyone tell you anything else, you have my blessing to spit in theyr face.

Amd had a chance with bulldozer, but they pooped it badly.

If anyone tell you anything else, you have my blessing to spit in their face.

Nicely put. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html

Intel looks the clear way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Intel CPUs have the upper hand in almost all segments barring the netbook segment. The last time i'd have recommended an AMD CPU to anyone was back in the days of the Athlon 64 and Pentium 4. They've been trailing behind Intel for years.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

Gaming pc - i5 2500k
    Budget pc gaming i5 2400

If anyone tell you anything else, you have my blessing to spit in theyr face.

Amd had a chance with bulldozer, but they pooped it badly.

I'd add the i3-2100 for real budget builds as well :)

That's a fantastic little chip. The computers in our lab got upgraded this year. From P4/1GB to i3-2100/4GB, and they're very bloody quick!

Actually, now we're on the topic... anyone here have a 2100 running in something they'd be able to check for me? Interested to see how it would handle a couple 3-5 person Minecraft servers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭Eamonn Brophy

Serephucus wrote: »
    That's a fantastic little chip. The computers in our lab got upgraded this year. From P4/1GB to i3-2100/4GB, and they're very bloody quick!

Actually, now we're on the topic... anyone here have a 2100 running in something they'd be able to check for me? Interested to see how it would handle a couple 3-5 person Minecraft servers.

Pretty well I'd imagine, I used to run a server here off my laptop (4 gigs ddr2 and an amd turion 64 dual core processor)

The i3's much faster than that.

In regards to the OP's question, Intel Intel Intel. AMD have even said themselves they're probably going to stop trying to compete anymore.

Did anyone read the 40% of the transistors on the bulldozer chips are missing and they only found out? looooool

Did anyone read the 40% of the transistors on the bulldozer chips are missing and they only found out? looooool

YES! That was hilarious!

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5176/amd-revises-bulldozer-transistor-count-12b-not-2b

And how many people were using that, roughly? (The server, I mean)

YES! That was hilarious!

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5176/amd-revises-bulldozer-transistor-count-12b-not-2b

And how many people were using that, roughly? (The server, I mean)

I had 5 or 6 on it at one stage with almost no lag at all. They were all within a LAN but I still thought it was impressive. The processor should run a server fine.

I dont know about multiples though.

Ironically, the extra cores on a bulldozer chip might be good for running multiple servers :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭kfish2oo2

Guy I know runs a Minecraft server on a Pentium 4. Multiple worlds, loads of computing heavy mods and lots of traffic (20 - 30 a day). Lots of RAM and a good connection are friends of Minecraft servers.

To the OP: there are a few Phenom II's that still hold their value pretty well, but are old tech. I'd struggle to recommend an older chip like that for a new build. Intel really dominates the CPU game at the moment. AMD looks to be focusing more on the low end market (where they've always held themselves pretty well) and are really pushing the idea of APU's. AMD is aiming to change the processing game whereas Intel is intent on refining the CPU as it is.

For the moment, Intel is the clear winner.

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭aperture_nuig

seems to be unanimous decision here! I knew that it was always intel at the higher end of the scale, but what of the budget areas? If you're looking for a €400 - €500 gaming PC are you better off going with an AMD and putting extra cash into the graphics card or should you still go with an intel CPU and have less to spend on a Graphics card?

seems to be unanimous decision here! I knew that it was always intel at the higher end of the scale, but what of the budget areas? If you're looking for a €400 - €500 gaming PC are you better off going with an AMD and putting extra cash into the graphics card or should you still go with an intel CPU and have less to spend on a Graphics card?

how-dare-you-thumb.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

The big advantage of going for something like the i3 2300 now if that you leave yourself open to upgrading to an IvyBridge chip next year or the year after if you get a bit more money put together. The 1155 socket is a very good idea at the moment from an upgrading point of view.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Go with Intel and get a good graphics card at the same time. What you don't spend today you'll spend tomorrow. I'd only go for an AMD if you were looking to buy a low end laptop or netbook.

nesf wrote: »
    The big advantage of going for something like the i3 2300 now if that you leave yourself open to upgrading to an IvyBridge chip next year or the year after if you get a bit more money put together. The 1155 socket is a very good idea at the moment from an upgrading point of view.

now just fingers crossed intel would not drop a ball like someone did with AM3+ socket.... :o

now just fingers crossed intel would not drop a ball like someone did with AM3+ socket.... :o

Even if they do, you've a nice upgrade path from the i3 to the i5 2500K chip when it drops in price when IvyBridge comes out. So you win either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

If you have a bit of money but can't afford the full 2500K, I think it's a good idea to spend the extra into getting a good quality motherboard (i.e., Z68), even if you're just getting the i3. Although the selection has improved, a good few of the H61 boards are fairly sorry in the line of features so even if you do upgrade to a 2500K later, you won't be getting the best out of it and you won't be able to maximise performance in one of the best technologies in recent times, the SSD (i.e., no 6Gbps on the cheap boards). I'm mostly thinking of upgrades here, but given the prices that HDDs have shot up to, SSDs are definitely finding their way into PCs quicker.
    I think there's still some room for AMD in the sub €100 CPUs if you really want to game with a very low budget as graphics cards are overall still more important. With new cards to be announced soon (today?) and Intel's Ivy Bridge around the corner, AMD's desktop CPUs just won't cut it.

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭aperture_nuig

Monotype wrote: »
    If you have a bit of money but can't afford the full 2500K, I think it's a good idea to spend the extra into getting a good quality motherboard (i.e., Z68), even if you're just getting the i3. Although the selection has improved, a good few of the H61 boards are fairly sorry in the line of features so even if you do upgrade to a 2500K later, you won't be getting the best out of it and you won't be able to maximise performance in one of the best technologies in recent times, the SSD (i.e., no 6Gbps on the cheap boards). I'm mostly thinking of upgrades here, but given the prices that HDDs have shot up to, SSDs are definitely finding their way into PCs quicker.
    I think there's still some room for AMD in the sub €100 CPUs if you really want to game with a very low budget as graphics cards are overall still more important. With new cards to be announced soon (today?) and Intel's Ivy Bridge around the corner, AMD's desktop CPUs just won't cut it.

Thanks, and thanks to everyone that replied, expect to see a new thread asking for a specific (intel!) build from me very soon! ;)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

The socket was fine, what you could put in it was the real problem. :pac:

• Advertisement

marco_polo wrote: »
    The socket was fine, what you could put in it was the real problem. :pac:

>.<

1155 seems to be going strong though, and still a year left in it with Ivy on the way. Hopefully Intel's finally starting to learn that if you change sockets like [ insert witty comparison here ], you just loose business in the long run because people get fed up!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

>.<

1155 seems to be going strong though, and still a year left in it with Ivy on the way. Hopefully Intel's finally starting to learn that if you change sockets like [ insert witty comparison here ], you just loose business in the long run because people get fed up!

I meant AM3+ and bulldozer, Intel certainly seem to have learnt their lessions anyway, and if anything AMD are going the opposite way at the moment. Somewhat understandable I suppose given that they are simultaneously developing APUs and Bulldozer (badly) with the end goal of them meeting up again next year sometime, but at the moment it appears that they have managed to end up with two socket types of questionable life span both of which it appears will be replaced by FM2, and as you say confusion is never good for business even if there is an acceptable reason for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Paul_Hacket

Thanks, and thanks to everyone that replied, expect to see a new thread asking for a specific (intel!) build from me very soon! ;)

Just saw this thread. This question is impossible to answer without knowing your specific budget - but if you're planning to spend less than around Euro 2500 you won't find an Intel chip that will beat the AMD x4-955 Black Edition which retails for about 150 Euro. You could then spend the money you've saved on a cheap SSD boot drive, which would make a huge performance difference.

The X4-955 has four cores and 6MB of cache while all of the Intels in this pricepoint only have two and are limited to 3MB of cache. It is also highly overclockable from it's 3.2ghz base, and can easily hit 4GHZ without any additional cooling hardware.

If you're on a budget I would strongly recommend considering this chip, it will be much better than any i3 as far as multitasking is concerned. A lot of the above comments about Intel above are only true of the higher end of the market.

In short - spending more than 150 Euro on an Intel chip that beats the X4 isn't going to make any noticeable performance difference as far as gaming is concerned and in order to get an Intel chip that would beat the x4-955 for general computing you'd have to spend over 220 Euro.

In short - spending more than 150 Euro on an Intel chip that beats the X4 isn't going to make any noticeable performance difference as far as gaming is concerned and in order to get an Intel chip that would beat the x4-955 for general computing you'd have to spend over 220 Euro.

You've not played Skyrim then. Even with an i5 2500k overclocked to 4.3GHz the CPU is a bottleneck on Ultra (has to do with shadows being computed on the CPU). It's highly dependent on clock speed and core speed and scales poorly past two cores. On paper more cache and more cores should win but it doesn't really work that way. What happens per clock cycle is far more important.

Secondly, the i5 2500k doesn't just beat the X4, it makes it look really poor. They are a generation in technology apart. For any CPU intensive game or application it is far superior. You get a lot of general computing performance for 100 extra Euro. This is at stock before you take into account the i5's greater overclocking potential.

Thirdly, the lowly i3 2100 for 100 Euro beats the X4 in benchmarks at stock despite lacking 2 cores, lacking a lot in cache and being slower: http://www.anandtech.com/bench/GPU11/204?i=330.292.290.293.297.313.315.311.305.309.306.294.291.295.331.316.296 This should underline the power difference per core and per cycle on the Sandy Bridge chips compared to the Phenom II's and that many/most games just aren't optimised for 4 cores.

Finally the X4 lacks an upgrade path. The 1155 socket is continuing for at least one more generation making for a cheaper upgrade down the line for someone with an i3 if they want a more powerful CPU in a year or three.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Another series is expected in for socket AM3+, if they could beat phenom IIs this time it would be good. I know what you mean though that upgrade options exist here, now, if you want to replace an i3.
    I think the pricing is pretty fair, you are getting what you pay for. The i3s start at €100 or so and most of AMD's lineup are below that, competing with pentiums and celerons. It looks like the i3s are more competing with phenom X6s. They could do with having the X4s cheaper, both Athlons and Phenoms. I'm seeing the 965 cheaper than the 955. I wonder if these have stopped production and they've moved completely onto bulldozer? They're probably still making Athlons for FM1 since they only came out recently, so I'd imagine they're still going.

They said that there will be more variations on bulldozer. It's really a shame it costs more and is below 2500k and 2600k :(

Monotype wrote: »
    Another series is expected in for socket AM3+, if they could beat phenom IIs this time it would be good. I know what you mean though that upgrade options exist here, now, if you want to replace an i3.

Exactly, even if Ivy Bridge turns out to be a damp squib, the 2500K is a solid upgrade for an i3 and 2500Ks are only going to be going down in price.

Games won't demand a quad core chip for a good long while.

Exactly, even if Ivy Bridge turns out to be a damp squib, the 2500K is a solid upgrade for an i3 and 2500Ks are only going to be going down in price.

Games won't demand a quad core chip for a good long while.

Some badly coded ones do. GTA IV works much better with one, especially if you want to use ICEnhancer as well.

If we could actually get a couple of good, PC-focused games, quad cores would be a huge benefit. As-is we're just getting more console ports.

Some badly coded ones do. GTA IV works much better with one, especially if you want to use ICEnhancer as well.

If we could actually get a couple of good, PC-focused games, quad cores would be a huge benefit. As-is we're just getting more console ports.

The average game just wants a relatively modern dual core though. We should have most games taking advantage of 4 cores at least if not hyper threading too but they just don't make the effort to code that kind of stuff in in most games. Not that it surprises me, people gaming off custom builds or high end machines are the exception not the rule.

• Advertisement

The average game just wants a relatively modern dual core though. We should have most games taking advantage of 4 cores at least if not hyper threading too but they just don't make the effort to code that kind of stuff in in most games. Not that it surprises me, people gaming off custom builds or high end machines are the exception not the rule.

Welp, as consoles reelase with multi-core and multi-threaded processors (I'll cry if the next xbox isnt at LEAST a dual-core) we'll see that stuff slowly start to flow in, a billion years too late albeit, but still better than the current state!

Sometimes I feel like modern gaming PC's are like Usain bolt with no legs, all that potential never getting used!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement