Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mature Student Applicants

Options
  • 04-12-2011 9:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭

Hi I am just wondering could anyone help me,
    I am looking for some information on Mature Student Applicants in regards to UCD.

I am looking to do Computer Science,
    I am 23 years old and am eligible to apply.
    I am a qualified Electrician who just finished my final exams,
    I am looking to take a different direction,
    Having worked alongside several IT engineers and seeing what their job entails, It's a path in which I myself would love to follow.
    I've had an interest in computers my whole life, and I think it is something I could do very well in.

Having gone to several different open days, I've been told by different colleges that I should have no problem getting onto their Computer Science courses, giving my background in being an Electrician.

I've past all my Electrical exams with flying colors from start to finish,
    But here's the tricky part.
    I don't have a good leaving cert,
    I didn't pass Maths, or Irish for that matter.
    I know if I was to go back now I would fly through them, as I am much more mature then I was back then,
    After reading Mature and Graduate pathways supplement,
    I noticed that CAO Mature student applicants must forward their Leaving Cert results also (understandably,)
    But how strict on LC results are they?

It's states:
    "Generally, the programme board is looking for evidence of academic ability, interest in and aptitude for the programme for which you have applied."

Is it worth my while applying?
    As far as having in Interest for the programme goes, I am starting a six month course in January to June, which entails the following:
    • CAREER PLANNING AND JOB SEEKING SKILLS
    • COMPTIA A+ ESSENTIALS 2009
    • COMPTIA A+ PRACTICAL APPLICATION 2009
    • COMPTIA NETWORK+ 2009
    • IN-COMPANY
    • INDUCTION
    • WINDOWS SERVER 2008 ACTIVE DIRECTORY CONFIGURATION
    I'm hoping this can stand to me aswell, At 23 I really don't want to have to go back to doing my Leaving Cert again.
    I will go to a different college if needs be, But I want the best course/education possible and I know UCD is the place to get it.

All help, greatly appreciated.

Richie

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

You might need to do an Access course first. Have you contacted the relevant Schools/Programme Offices?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭richierichballs

You might need to do an Access course first. Have you contacted the relevant Schools/Programme Offices?

No, I am planning on making some calls tomorrow.
    I missed the Open day as I had exams that week unfortunately.

I would happily sit any Access courses if needs be,
    thank you for the reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,011 ✭✭✭✭bnt

There doesn't appear to be an Access Course that suits Computer Science directly. The Arts one is non-technical, but the Science & Engineering one is possibly too technical - and you've missed it for this year anyway, since it runs over both semesters. I think you can apply to the CAO as a mature student anyway, since you'll have a chance to explain your situation in the application and perhaps in an interview.

If it might come down to an interview situation, there is one thing I think you can do to improve your chances: take an independent test such as the GRE. I know it's called a "Graduate Record Exam", but nothing in it requires that you have an undergraduate degree of any sort, and it's very doable by any reasonably smart person. If you can nail the Quantitative Reasoning section, that would (IMHO) satisfy UCD that you have enough Maths.

(I did the very similar GMAT a couple of years before I applied to UCD, scored pretty well despite having no degree, and I think it was helpful in my application even though I didn't study Management at UCD. I even got a couple of offers from MBA schools, but decided I should get an Engineering degree instead.)

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭edenbridge146

Hi,

I'm a mature student and didn't do an Access course.

I applied through the CAO and had to do an apptitude test.

Good luck

Advertisement