Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sourcing solid wood ply for longboard skateboard.

Options
  • 04-12-2011 10:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭

Hey there, not sure if this is the right forum for this but Anyway im making a longboard skateboard (if you dont know what they are or what they do look at this, http://www.youtube.com/user/Original...sw&feature=pyv) Anyway, I am a 5th year student doing construction and engineering, i'm making a longboard and i've chosen 40 inches long roughly for the board and 10 inches wide. all the main manufacturers of longboards tend to use canadian maple ply (6-9 plys) they bend and laminate each layer as they go but to do this yourself is a challenge so the internet suggests getting three or four ply balltic birch or maple sheets, and bending and gliong them in a press then cutting to shape, but for the life of me i cant find this ply in ireland does anyone know where i can get it from? any help is appreciated!

thanks a million, Pete

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 550 ✭✭✭earpiece

www.woodworkers.ie
    Mount Tallant avenue in Terenure D6.
    As good a price as you'll find and always have stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭pswanto

i cant find it on their site? what exactly is the name of what i'm looking for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 550 ✭✭✭earpiece

pswanto wrote: »
    i cant find it on their site? what exactly is the name of what i'm looking for?

look under Products-Wood Materials-Plywood sheets. Birch Plywood.

Sheet dimensions can be found in the price listing.....probably the place to go.
    http://www.woodworkers.ie/prices/p_sheet_plywood.shtml

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭wwwboof

birch ply is about 50 euro a 8x4 sheet in most places and thats 18mm thick

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,328 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Might be worth thinking about marine ply as it's a lot more dense with less voids plus the glue is waterproof so well able for the weather also if you coat it in fiberglass cloth and resin it will be very strong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Double Barrel

My nephews have being inquiring-pestering me to make them boards.
    You might think about buying a kit with all the material required to build a skate board.
    What you are looking for is not all that easy to find, - Solid hard maple veneer 2 mm - 1/16" thick. Not plywood.

On the woodworkers.ie site the 4 mm Birch Plywood Moisture Resistant BB/BB(MR) Moisture resistant grade for interior use ) is the closest but I do not believe it is moisture resistant glue. The type of adhesive is important, it needs to be flexible and moisture resistant (exterior quality).

I have a link somewhere for a kit.

If you have access to a large bandsaw setup to resaw you could make your own 2mm hard maple, beech or ash veneer. Just a thought. ;);)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

If you have access to a large bandsaw setup to resaw you could make your own 2mm hard maple, beech or ash veneer. Just a thought. ;);)
    And this would give you a better way of forming the bends. Glue-lam.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭pswanto

anyone fancy makin one this guys a genius! http://toothless.tk/ ended up gettin an 8x4 sheet of 6mm baltic birch ply wbp for €35 ish plus a bottle of titebond III, I have made a press and im going to make an 2 x 18mm down hill boards and a 12mm board aswell i'll let you know how it goes

• Advertisement
Advertisement