Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Still waiting for deposit

Options
  • 04-12-2011 11:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭

Myself and two other girls rented a house for 2 years through a dublin letting agents.Lowes to be precise.We stayed until the end of our lease.No serious problems bar a few issues with damp and with piping over the christmas last year.
    However we moved out in august and are still have not get the deposit back.

We have being contacting the agent we deal with regularly over the last few months and she has started avoiding our calls.Though at one stage she said as the house hasnt being rented out since we left this was an issue..can they withhold our deposit for something like that??i didnt think it was a valid excuse at all!
    One of my housemates also rang the head office to complain...but still in spite of being told the cheque was in the post(twice now by 2 different people) our deposit has not materialised.

What do we do now?
    do we try and contact the owners of the property directly?
    Submit a dispute with the PRTB?
    Solicitors letter?or a formal registered letter to the company?
    Small Claims court..

Any one have any idea where we should go with this?
    Very disappointed with this letting company up until we moved out we were quite happy with them.But four months of a wait to get our money back is taking the piss.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

PTRB - only option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭dyer

i would go to threshold as well.. they will contact the agency on your behalf which will at least put a little bit more pressure on them if nothing else. when dealing with the likes, youre better off sending letters or emails that can be documented and presented later (make photocopies wherever possible) theyll just deny any verbal agreements when the time comes.

from past experience, ill never rent from an agency ever again.. but if you happen to.. in your last month.. tell them to keep your deposit instead of paying the last months rent.. its an effective way to avoid all the trouble and time wasting of trying to get it back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Try contacting John Lowe directly, we had nightmare experiences with them when we used them to let our house, the local office manager was less than useless. He was more helpful relatively speaking and we did get some resolution.

I still wouldn't recommend them to my worst enemy ;)

Advertisement