Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Game of the Week: The Legend of Dragoon

• 05-12-2011 12:15am
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,887 CMod ✭✭✭✭

256px-Legend_of_Dragoon.jpg

The Legend of Dragoon (LoD) is the best game ever. If you believe this then you are a terrible person. There are many bad games out there. Some are just no fun at all to play and frustrating. Some are a badly programmed mess. However most of these games are made by people with their hearts in the right place and due to a lack of talent, time and/or resources they weren't able to fulfil what they had in mind. LoD is a different sort of bad. It's certainly not a buggy mess and is competently programmed. However LoD is the most heartless and soulless game you will ever play with a designed by business suits mentality that is sickening.

LoD was designed by Sony as a response to the surprising international success of FFVII and JRPGs that followed. Sony wanted it's own JRPG fanchise. They then made a game that was so eager to please JRPG fans that playing it is like reading the JRPG entry on TV tropes. There's nothing original in this game. Everything is copied from it's superiors with no understanding of why people loved these games. The main character is a spiky haired cloud clone. The main villian is a mysterious grey haired guy trying desperately to be like sephiroth. There's a mysterious thought to be extinct race called the Winglies (because they have wings and the localisation team have no imaginations). The story is a long series of cliches and set pieces stolen from superior works. The only thing I kind of liked was Rose but probably only because of her menstration based attacks (I **** you not: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7Wk-qvGucQ) and even then she's just a female version of squall. Oh the scene when a character gets killed off Aeris style is hilarious. You'll have been wishing for this characters death at that point anyway because he is such a boring goody two shoes with no personality and then they replace him 2 minutes later with a character who is a carbon copy and has the same abilities.

The battle system is even worse. You only have the one attack but can add damage by timing button presses. An interesting idea until you realise you have to do this for every attack. Battles drag on for minutes at a time. This isn't helped by the dragoon forms you gain later on. Changing into a dragoon lets you cast a very limited amount of magic but every time you transform or cast this magic you get a cutscene similar in length to the summons in Final Fantasy. Even a battle with standard enemies can drag out to minutes at a time and you'll probably suffer an epileptic fit from the framerate hovering around 10 FPS. Also the worst song of the pretty ****ty soundtrack is the battle theme which you'll be hearing a lot.

gfs_93628_2_1.jpg
    Look at all the battle options you have. Don't expect any strategy in battles. Also did I mention the game looks like ass?

For some inexplicble reason LoD has quite a few fans. I can only guess that the these people played the game when they were around 13 and more impressionable, without much JRPG experience to compare LoD to. It's the only reason I can come up with why some people will swear by what I consider the worst JRPG I've ever played.

Sorry for the delay in this, my first draft was way too long, more suited to a blog post/rant! Also thought I'd try something different for game of the week, picking a ****ty game instead of a good game. As far as I see it game of the week is about discussion and not how good the game is :)

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I'm thinking you've missed the point of "Game of the Week" and mixed it up with the forthcoming "Sh1te Game of the Week"...

Oh, and I still sold mine for loads of money on ebay!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

This is beyond taking the p1ss :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,470 ✭✭✭RedXIV

I still actually have this game. And to be brutally honest, my enjoyment of the game has at least doubled by Retr0's hate. I agree with him on most of his points but the pure venom he has for the game always makes me lol. At least you know he played it first so it DESERVES his venom :P

I must complete this game some day, just to see if it turns me into a twisted lump of hatred too :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,886 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Someone give Retr0 a hug please.

I prescribe at least 8 hugs per day for a period not less than 8 weeks and these symptoms should subside.

If you start to look like the latest profile picture for Retr0 below please also increase your hug intake.
    grumpy_old_man.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

Never played this game. Don't think I want to either now! But gracias for the enlightening take on a bad game. :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,887 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I'm thinking you've missed the point of "Game of the Week" and mixed it up with the forthcoming "Sh1te Game of the Week"...

There's no criteria for it being a good game so decided to do something different :P

I didn't even touch on why the battle system was so bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

Why didn't you pick Dick Tracy then? :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    There's no criteria for it being a good game so decided to do something different :P

I didn't even touch on why the battle system was so bad.

Well if that's the case I can't wait til it's my turn and I can post about Gunstar!!!

Only kidding, it'll be a massive love in for all things Halo, we all know it has to be this way... ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,887 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Only kidding, it'll be a massive love in for all things Halo, we all know it has to be this way... ;)

Halo is not retro enough for game of the week, sorry :P

Streets of Rage however...

BEEEETCH!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Wasn't the best PS RPG but nowhere near the worst. Having played through dross like Granstream Saga, Ark the Lad and Shadow Madness, I came to Legend of Dragoon. It was a bit dull but mechanically sound and pretty inoffensive.

Ah now Granstream Saga and Arc the Lad are decent enough! Shadow Madness was fairly rubbish but thought the developers bit off more than they could chew. Ted Woolsey, squaresofts old localiser, and his group of developers really liked JRPGs and tried to make a western version of FFVII and fix everything they thought was wrong with that game. It was a monumental failure but the guys tried and it is an interesting game, especially the history behind it. Legend of Dragoon isn't even interesting. It's just dull, it's the JRPG Bubsy the Bobcat. For that reason it's the worst, except for Beyond the Beyond (christ, what happened there Camelot?).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

?url=http%3A%2F%2Ffiles.sharenator.com%2FI_am_commander_shepard_And_I_approve_of_this_thread_RE_Petition_Sharenator_Members_Chat-s360x360-159996.jpg&hmac=6c913c4cf067a560a1bc5e3de736c9ea

Tallon wrote: »
    ?url=http%3A%2F%2Ffiles.sharenator.com%2FI_am_commander_shepard_And_I_approve_of_this_thread_RE_Petition_Sharenator_Members_Chat-s360x360-159996.jpg&hmac=6c913c4cf067a560a1bc5e3de736c9ea

Aw, thought you were a fan?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

:P

Advertisement