Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smart phones eating credit question!

Options
  • 05-12-2011 12:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭

Hey, dont know if this is the right place to put this and sorry if this had been asked a million times! Ive noticed that smart phones eat your credit whether your doing something or not. I know thats its got to with services running in the backgound and what not. I know these phones are designed for bill pay but is there a way that i can turn off all these settings so this doesnt happen.
    I use my wifi at home for most of the online modes etc. I had an iphone that did this so i thought my phone was broke so i upgraded to a samsung s2. I had turned off all the location settings, online settings etc etc to the best of my knowledge and still lost credit due to it(iphone). Im assuming that my new s2 will do the same so i will not buy credit yet just in case. Is there a setting/settings in the s2 that i can switch off so this doesnt happen or will it always eat credit no matter what i do?
    So what do other prepay smart phones users do, just let their credit run dry each time and spend 100's or 1000's in credit???

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Trevor451

Make sure that "Data connection" is turned off. Many applications/serves use mobile data in the background (e.g.weather, email)

I used to have a galaxy europa (android handset) and if you held the power button it would give you a list of options (one of them being to turn off mobile data services)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭chasm

I have "background data", "auto sync" and "enable always-on mobile data" turned off on my phone. I mainly use my phone on wifi, (as my mobile internet is a joke) so these settings suit my usage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭GreenWolfe

Have you tried setting up a dummy APN?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Dummy APN name is good, great even if you leave the country for any reason.

Get a network with a decent data allowance if you want a smartphone, ie not O2

• Registered Users Posts: 9,231 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Dummy APN name is good, great even if you leave the country for any reason.

Get a network with a decent data allowance if you want a smartphone, ie not O2
    If its Android based install an app called APNdroid. You can turn the data connection on or off with that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭Irishmaster

Thanks guys for all the replys, ive found another answer somewhere else and this has worked a treat!

On Android go to : Settings > Wireless & Networks > Packet Data > Untick.

On iPhone go to: Settings > General > Network > Mobile Data > Off

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

If I turn off mobile data will I still be able to go online outside of wifi i.e my network's interwebs?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭GreenWolfe

Yakult wrote: »
    If I turn off mobile data will I still be able to go online outside of wifi i.e my network's interwebs?

Don't think so, no. By any chance are you on Three and want to check your credit?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Not on 3, no.

Gonna look into bill pay I think.

Advertisement