Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Horizon alarm tamper issue

Options
  • 05-12-2011 12:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi,

I have an old Horizon alarm - installed 1992.

Last Thursday we had a power cut and the external bell box began going off about 10 mins after the power cut - this was due to the battery in the control panel going dead - I intend to replace battery. I disconnected one of the power leads to the outside sounder to stop nuisance noise.

Power was restored after an hour and internal bell box started going off. As we have a 4 week old baby I needed to stop noise quickly and pulled box off the wall.

So today I tried to get unit operating again - I reconnected external box easily enough, but am not sure about internal box connections. After pulling box off wall I'm not sure about the wiring and what goes where.

I connected the red/ black wires to the poitive/ negative on the internal bell box. There are a blue and green wire that I conneted to the tamper connectiosn - is this correct. Do the blue green have a polarity / do I need to connect either of them to power?

I have removed internal jumer to reset the unit and put the jumper back in.

I'm still getting a "7" code on the control panel - tamper alarm - any suggestions?

I plan to replace controller in the spring as part of an extension.

Thanks,
    Rob

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

You would really need to get up to the bell to confirm the wiring.
    The number 7 is referring to a tamper condition.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,719 ✭✭✭✭altor

bertieboy wrote: »
    Hi,

I have an old Horizon alarm - installed 1992.

Last Thursday we had a power cut and the external bell box began going off about 10 mins after the power cut - this was due to the battery in the control panel going dead - I intend to replace battery. I disconnected one of the power leads to the outside sounder to stop nuisance noise.

Power was restored after an hour and internal bell box started going off. As we have a 4 week old baby I needed to stop noise quickly and pulled box off the wall.

So today I tried to get unit operating again - I reconnected external box easily enough, but am not sure about internal box connections. After pulling box off wall I'm not sure about the wiring and what goes where.

I connected the red/ black wires to the poitive/ negative on the internal bell box. There are a blue and green wire that I conneted to the tamper connectiosn - is this correct. Do the blue green have a polarity / do I need to connect either of them to power?

I have removed internal jumer to reset the unit and put the jumper back in.

I'm still getting a "7" code on the control panel - tamper alarm - any suggestions?

I plan to replace controller in the spring as part of an extension.

Thanks,
    Rob

The connection for the external bell tamper could be the wrong way around in the control panel, also check to make sure the control panel lid is closing its tamper when the lid is closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 bertieboy

Hi,
    I have attached a pic of internal sounder - and the damage I caused.

As you can see I broke the box when pulling it from the wall - one of the sounders was damaged - I'm not sure if this is the problem.

On the rear of the pcb the +ve connections come from the same area, same for -ve connections, so I'm not sure if the floating lead may be an issue.

When I pulled unit off the wall, I was left with the 4-core cable, but no way of knowing which way the 4 wires were connected.

When I box up the internal sounder I can hear the microswitch being pushed in - so I don't think this is the problem

Regarding the external bell box - I only removed one connection from the sounder so am pretty sure this isn't the problem.

Its a pity the tamper alarms all appear to be tampered up.

Can I bypass the tamper on the internal sounder to try and narrow down the issue?

regards and thanks for your help.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,719 ✭✭✭✭altor

bertieboy wrote: »
    Hi,
    I have attached a pic of internal sounder - and the damage I caused.

As you can see I broke the box when pulling it from the wall - one of the sounders was damaged - I'm not sure if this is the problem.

On the rear of the pcb the +ve connections come from the same area, same for -ve connections, so I'm not sure if the floating lead may be an issue.

When I pulled unit off the wall, I was left with the 4-core cable, but no way of knowing which way the 4 wires were connected.

When I box up the internal sounder I can hear the microswitch being pushed in - so I don't think this is the problem

Regarding the external bell box - I only removed one connection from the sounder so am pretty sure this isn't the problem.

Its a pity the tamper alarms all appear to be tampered up.

Can I bypass the tamper on the internal sounder to try and narrow down the issue?

regards and thanks for your help.

Yes, the blue and yellow you see on the internal bell is the tamper. If you take these out of there terminals in the bell and join them together this will eliminate the tamper of this.

Are all the tampers going to a global tamper ?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Disconnect & join the blue & yellw together from the internal.
    See if that clears it. If not can you post a pic of the connections in the panel indicating which cable(s) were disconnected.

• Advertisement

Hi
    I removed blue and yellow wires from internal box and shorted them.

I then isolated unit from mains, disconnected battery, pulled internal jumper.

I then connected mains, battery, put back in jumper - unit alarmed.

Originally I did not disconnect anything from the alarm panel - I thought I didn't anyway.

On further inspection of alarm box there are two floating cables - red and black - I'm not sure if this is a red herring.

There is a 6 core cable entering the alaram panel box:

Red : floating - ( one of the floating cables from above)
    Black : BHO
    Blue : TR
    Green : External bell -ve
    White : Int Bell -ve
    Yellow : wrapped up in a ball and connected to nothing

Also, looking at the panel there are two terminals with their screws wound out - these are
    External bell +ve and GND

The black floating wire comes from a nest of black/red wires from mutilpe cables.

The more I look at it the more I think these floating wires may be the issue - what do ye think?

If you are still getting a tamper is possible the red should be the external + .
    Anyway of getting up to the external bell to take a look?

spot on - tamper code gone - thanks to Altor and Koolkid

I connected the red floating wire to external bell +ve and all ok.

Not sure about the floating black lead and the absent gnd connection. A job for tomorrow as I don't want to wake the neighbours / baby.

Thanks again

Your welcome.
    If you get a chance to look at the external let us know. Just to be 100%

Advertisement