Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Septum piercing?

Options
  • 05-12-2011 1:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭

Just a question for anyone who has their septum pierced. I got mine done 3 weeks ago but had to flip it up almost immediately for work. Unfortunately I couldn't do it myself and had to go back in and ask the piercer to do it. Apparently it was still swollen and eventually they got it up...the pain left me never wanting to go back in again!

But I'm off work next week and I decided to turn it back down tonight to leave it out for the time that I'm off. (the girl in the piercing place said to leave it for at least 2 weeks before taking it down again, and seeing as how it's now 3 weeks, I figured it'd be ok) Trouble is, when I tried to see if it would go back up again, it wouldn't. Getting it down wasn't a bother but getting it back up again is just impossible, it feels exactly like it did when I first got it done; it just doesn't work, no matter what way I fiddle with it. It also hurts a bit when I try. Surely after 3 weeks it should have healed somewhat? I hope I can get it back up before the end of the week, I really don't want to have to go back into the piercer again for them to do it. Has anyone else had a similar experience?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Lauren7fold

I got the piercer to widen the ring the day I got it pierced, to make it easier to flip it up. 3 weeks after, I bought a retainer from Body Art Forms or Body Jewellery Online (I can't remember which0 and had the piercer put that in for me. I really recommend getting a retainer, staple shaped, like mine. It was so much more comfortable than the ring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 961 ✭✭✭TEMPLAR KNIGHT

I got my septum pierced about 5 weeks ago and I could flip it up with no pain a couple of days later, although its still sore at times when i touch it now. if you go back into the piercer they can widen the ring to make it fit easier because you seem to be going through a lot of pain id stop messing about with moving it up and down until its healed a good bit i know its for work and everything but still your just going to be agitating it if its that sore. best of luck with it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Viva La Gloria

^ Thanks for the advice, will try that! :)

I got the piercer to widen the ring the day I got it pierced, to make it easier to flip it up. 3 weeks after, I bought a retainer from Body Art Forms or Body Jewellery Online (I can't remember which0 and had the piercer put that in for me. I really recommend getting a retainer, staple shaped, like mine. It was so much more comfortable than the ring.

Oh really? But are you not supposed to leave it in until it has healed? I didn't realise they could widen them...but I've been wondering because the two balls do seem quite close together.

It's weird because it's not even that it's really painful when I try, it's just, it physically won't go up. It's like, there's no way to do it, it just won't budge in that general direction into my nose!?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

It could just be 'stuck' because you're still healing, and it's not loosened up yet, as your body is still trying to heal up the hole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Lauren7fold

^ Thanks for the advice, will try that! :)

Oh really? But are you not supposed to leave it in until it has healed? I didn't realise they could widen them...but I've been wondering because the two balls do seem quite close together.

It's weird because it's not even that it's really painful when I try, it's just, it physically won't go up. It's like, there's no way to do it, it just won't budge in that general direction into my nose!?

I know that when i try flip mine up, it will only go back, as in I flip it in towards my lip, instead of out away from my face like most people do. Maybe you could try this? I hope I'm helping:)

• Advertisement

It could just be 'stuck' because you're still healing, and it's not loosened up yet, as your body is still trying to heal up the hole.

Maybe, although when I soak it with the salt water it loosens up completely.

I know that when i try flip mine up, it will only go back, as in I flip it in towards my lip, instead of out away from my face like most people do. Maybe you could try this? I hope I'm helping:)

Do most people do that? haha I thought you had to turn it in towards your face. That's how I've been trying all along- still can't unfortunately :(

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Maybe, although when I soak it with the salt water it loosens up completely.

Sounds like that's exactly it then, if it loosens up when you soak it, it's because it's not healed yet, and is getting 'stuck'.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭shortie_chik

You're probably all sorted now, but incase not, here's my experience...

When I got mine done, I got sort of a stud put in (flat back on one side, a post through the septum, and a little rubber ring to hold it on the other side). Was told to wear this for about 6 weeks and just wait. No soaking, no poking, no twisting that I recall. Easiest piercing I ever had to heal! I can't remember there having been any crustiness on this piercing though. Maybe I just got lucky :cool:

6 weeks later went back to get a ring in. Had it widened just slightly and now I can flip it up to hide it (pushing it back towards my face, not away to the tip of my nose). It's like the most amazing magic trick for people who've never seen or heard of a septum piercing: now ya see it, now ya don't! :confused:

Thanks guys :)

I went back to my piercer, turns out I was just incompetent in my attempts; he had it flipped up within the space of 2 seconds. I decided to just leave it up there again for a while and I'll take it down again when I have another week off work in January so I have time to practice getting it back up :D

But the ball on the left side has fallen off (again) and I can't find it this time, slightly worried that I may have swallowed it...in which case, it will never be seen again. *shudder* so I'll have to get that replaced at some point. Jeez, maybe I should have just started off with the easier option of the retainer :rolleyes:

Advertisement