Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fighting games e-sports debate

Options
  • 05-12-2011 8:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭

http://www.twitch.tv/onemoregametv/b/301395241?t=110m49s

Sirscoots (head of evil genius, the team of justin wong) ranting about fighting games being held back by capcom/players and fans

What are your views on this

My main problem with Fighting games becoming a proper e-sport is the main fans on streams/at events being trolls. Ever try to watch stream chat during BB or MK??? Full of "WTF IS THIS ON STREAM FOR???" and "THIS GAME SUCKS"

And at dreamhack during the sf4 finals on main stage the chat/twitter was full of people saying fighting games/sf would never take off cause its players/viewers is full of "hipsters" who make fun of other games (KOF launch tounament on iplayerwinner twitch had a commentator spend at least 15 minutes making fun of day[9] and this blew up the chat and twitter with iplaywinner having to apologize once he was taken of stream) which really cuts the growth of it as an e-sport

But on the other hand you have MLG holding a massive MK tourny (i know there is hate but it was a stepping stone) on the same week as EVO i believe and wondering why no one showed up.

I for one hope to some day have SF4 (or whatever is the game of the time) having center stage with Starcraft and Counter Strike but until the FGC gets out of the hole it is in (Ski Sonic and Markman being 2 of the biggest supporters of it with MLG and Dreamhack sponserships) and try branch out and accept all fighting games and try explode with a vengeance (I mean for followers to stop hating on some games and try support a lot more for the spotlight)

If this post is out of bounds go ahead and delete, first time I made a thread so not sure if it is done right

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

This is a good topic for debate, but I'm not sure that link and timestamp are enough fodder to get a chat going.

Sirscoots point seems to be that FG players are all a bunch of whiny bitchy little children, and it's Capcom's fault.

He doesn't elaborate on this point at all beyond that, and just ..... whines and bitches for the rest of the interview.
    I'm not convinced of a solid link between a game's viability as an e-sport, and how whiny the fans are.

The bitchy/trolly thing is a fairly common human reaction to people not being confident enough in their own interests/themselves.

In order to feel better about themselves and more justified in their hobbies; they bitch and whine about stuff they don't like. Even if the things they bitch about are remarkably similar to the things they love.

Not talking about anyone in particular...

*looks at 95% of this forum*

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Sir Scoots is known for "controversy". Basically saying stuff people disagree with to get it known...I would say deliberately in the style of Clarkson or George Hook.

Streams everywhere are the same. If Quake is on, there's arguments. If Starcraft is on, there will be a few voices (it even had a TeamLiquid thread recently where someone essentially whined that BroodWar was better). It's human nature - even more so when there is only so much money within the competitive scene and obviously people want it for their favourite games.

It was a poor move by MLG to have the same tournament on at same time as EVO. Whenever this idea of competitive gaming gets as structured, stable or widespread as the likes of Tennis or Golf, then fine...Best event gets the bigger people. But until then, it's tough.

People won't support the games they don't like. That's natural. Imagine you liked basketball, soccer and rugby. Unfortunately, there is only enough money and sponsorship interest going for a handful of sports...Are you going to back the likes of handball, darts and American football getting the slice of the pie? Even with plenty of money behind both rugby and soccer, people from both sides (staunch supporters) will knock the other sport. Crazy!

🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭blag

You should read Inkblots article on SRK today, relevant and makes a lot of sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Sairus

blag wrote: »
    You should read Inkblots article on SRK today, relevant and makes a lot of sense.

I was just going to post that. Definitely a great article that hits many great points.

The stream linked in the first post is painful to watch.
    One of the three guys mentions how at many events there could be Quake 3, FIFA, Counter Strike, Starcraft, etc all under the same roof and that he's never heard a FIFA player go on about how CS is trash, whereas FG players do nothing but put down all other games.

I've been to and watched streams of many general, not exclusively fighting gaming events over the years and I don't think I've ever been to one where I haven't heard a player from game X bitch about game Y. The same for real sports events.

As Inkblot mentions on SRK, many of the previous major eSports events that have had fighters recently have botched them badly. If people really want to see FGs be added to lineups on the eSports/MLG events and handled properly, then FG tournament organisers are going to have to pursue them aggressively and make them adapt.

Just look at Ireland as a scaled down version of this. All the conventions in Ireland had fairly mad rules for fighters before RS.ie injected ourselves into them. I think both the FG community and the conventions in Ireland have benefited from this.

Eirtakon in particular has been making real strides to getting standard tournament rules established for all its games (This year was especially great. Good job on that ChrisD! :D) and I would actually give some of the credit for that to RS making sure the FGs were handled properly in the last couple of years and showing that this stuff should be taken seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭the 1st hardter

My bad on the time stamp, debate goes from 1hr48min onwards. They talk about the bb and MK hate etc,etc and srk hate

• Advertisement
Advertisement