Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WARNING SKERRIES ROAD

Options
  • 05-12-2011 10:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭

I just came back from dropping the kids to school.OH OH MY GOD, the skerreis road is like an ice rink.There where 5 cars crashed or broken down.I had to ring the Garda for one poor woman that crashed at the lady stairs With a child in the back of the car.I cant really understand why two cars passed her by and none offered to help.I passed on the way back and the fireman had the child wrapped in a blanket.He was still crying.So please drive very slowly and carefully.Cathy

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Balrothery to Balbriggan bit lethal as well
    Should have left the bike at home :rolleyes:

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Skerries Rd from Lusk? I was along at 5 this morning (on the way to the airport, so fortunately no bike today) and it was OK, but with fine drizzle and the temperature hovering around zero it looked like it could turn treacherous

Hopefully everyone's OK

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Kumsheen

No sign of any salt on the roads this morning from what i could see.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Kumsheen wrote: »
    No sign of any salt on the roads this morning from what i could see.
    I passed what looked like a gritter, but it was not actually spreading anything at the time - may have been heading to Skerries to turn round before the bridge and do the "commuting" direction (as I suspect it could not get under the bridge, and so am not sure why else it would be heading that way)

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Kumsheen

I wonder if the council have anybody available late on Sunday nights to decide to grit the roads for a monday morning ?
    Gritting the roads at 9am after the ice has set is a bit late.
    I hope all the people involved in the accidents are ok.
    This was in the forecast.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭PaulD77

Saw a few crashes this morning. One car was in the ditch around Collinstown. There was no one in the car from what I could see.

Another at the roundabout as you enter Lusk. This one was bizarre. The only thing I could think was the car was coming from the Lusk direction, is it was on the left hand side of the road facing towards Skerries stuck into a pole failry heavily. It was just about to be moved when i saw it, and although the car was defo a write off everyone looked to be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Kumsheen wrote: »
    I wonder if the council have anybody available late on Sunday nights to decide to grit the roads for a monday morning ?
    Gritting the roads at 9am after the ice has set is a bit late.
    I hope all the people involved in the accidents are ok.
    This was in the forecast.
    The council were gritting roads out of the Fancourt depot in Balbriggan from Sunday evening well into the night.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭GlennaMaddy

Cycled up to Skerries train station this morning, didn't see any sign of ice, crossed the ballast pit and arrived in the car park and almost immediately went face down onto a thick sheet of ice -must have been a 2-3mm layer.

Either the ice is patchy or the treatment of it is patchy.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

Surely its CIE's responsibility to clear ice from their car park rather than FCC?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Cardinal Richelieu

Morphéus wrote: »
    Surely its CIE's responsibility to clear ice from their car park rather than FCC?

Irish Rail

• Advertisement

Probably NCPS now that the management of car parks was outsourced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Cardinal Richelieu

Might be a few more people joining you on the morning cycle to train stations around NCD.

Irish Examiner
    Parking charges to increase at many train stations

Tuesday, December 06, 2011 - 01:00 PM

Irish Rail has is to increase its car-parking charges at train stations across the country, it was announced today.

The new rates will come into effect from Monday, December 12.

The daily parking charge will increase by €1, to €3, while the weekly fee will be raised to €10.

Day parking charges at Heuston, Connolly, and Cork stations has increased to €8, up from €7.

However, motorists using Irish Rail's text service, Park By Text, will be charged at the current car park rates.

More details can be found at www.irishrail.ie.

Might be a few more people joining you on the morning cycle to train stations around NCD.
    He was taking the lazy option today (but had the icy roads as an excuse;)) - he usually cycles all the way into Dublin, and I am sure will appreciate company on the journey if anyone else wants to get some exercise, while saving the rail fare as well as parking cost

Hope you're OK GlennaMaddy

the parkbytxt thing is very handy, just dont forget to send the text!

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Rushwan

In reply toCardinal Richelieu s postingre increased parking charges-What's the story with this? this is the first I have heard in relation to increased parking charges-another tax by stealth,after all the others in the budget today. I don't agree with parking charges at train stations anyway, we should be encouraging people onto public transport. it will be cheaper to get the 33X now rather than pay for train ticket/parking fee

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Rushwan wrote: »
    In reply toCardinal Richelieu s postingre increased parking charges-What's the story with this? this is the first I have heard in relation to increased parking charges-another tax by stealth,after all the others in the budget today. I don't agree with parking charges at train stations anyway, we should be encouraging people onto public transport. it will be cheaper to get the 33X now rather than pay for train ticket/parking fee

It was announced last night. I suspect its related to reduced subsidies for all public transport systems from next year on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭dcr22B

Rushwan wrote: »
    It will be cheaper to get the 33X now rather than pay for train ticket/parking fee
    The 33X is starting to become overcrowded as it is so hopefully Dublin Bus will take into account passenger concerns and have more of the VT twin axle buses available. I get on at the last stop in Lusk and most days now I'm standing all the way into town (it's not that much of an inconvience TBH) but some mornings we've been left stranded as the bus has been full passing our stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

Bluetonic wrote: »
    The council were gritting roads out of the Fancourt depot in Balbriggan from Sunday evening well into the night.

Not sure where they were gritting but I was on the road from 5am and they were lethal. Mind you it was not white frost but black front in places. When I was back on the road about 7.30 it was lethal. Cars skidding all over place.

I think Its actually worse than snow as at least with snow you can see it. Four crashs when I was coming back again around 9.

Did I hear today we are due snow this weekend???:(

• Registered Users Posts: 24 shanemasseyman

dcr22B wrote: »
    The 33X is starting to become overcrowded as it is so hopefully Dublin Bus will take into account passenger concerns and have more of the VT twin axle buses available. I get on at the last stop in Lusk and most days now I'm standing all the way into town (it's not that much of an inconvience TBH) but some mornings we've been left stranded as the bus has been full passing our stop.

all buses are twin axle. . your refaring too the tri axles;)
    yeah i used to have that problem at murrys stop in lusk, but now i walk to the op bus stop and its grand, shelter with seat and all;)

Advertisement