Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Was my reading estimated so I'd pay more on new rates?

Options
  • 05-12-2011 11:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭

I moved house in August and connected ESB at this time. In October we received a bill for approx 30 euro for August and September (estimated reading) and last week I received a bill for 158 for Oct Nov (actual reading). It seems obvious to me that the first bill was too low and I don't know how it was estimated as it was our first bill but why should all the second bill be paid at the new more expensive rate?

I also have a query on the meter readings, how often is this done? There is no issue with access to our meter as it is at the side of the house, I would have thought that the first few bills should be actual readings rather than estimated?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Electric Ireland: David

Hi ceewa,
    ceewa wrote:
    ...meter readings, how often is this done?
    ESB Networks, on behalf of all suppliers (be it Bord Gáis Energy, ourselves, or Airtricity), plan to read your meter 4 times a year, so in a 12-month period, customers can expect 2 estimations.
    ceewa wrote:
    I don't know how it was estimated as it was our first bill... I would have thought that the first few bills should be actual readings rather than estimated?[/

Estimates are based on past usage patterns, so where there is a regular turnover of tenants/occupants at a property, these patterns would then be subject to greater variability.

When readings are taken depends on the area in question; for example, it would be normal for everyone in a given estate to get their meter read at the same time every two months. It wouldn't be possible to have meter readings taken specifically every time there is a change of tenancy.
    ceewa wrote:
    why should all the second bill be paid at the new more expensive rate?

When this happens, the original estimates are recalculated in light of the up-to-date reading, so any obvious discrepancies should be dealt with this way.

We try to make submitting/adjusting readings as straight-forward as possible, as we understand sometimes there will be estimates where actual readings would be much more preferable. You can ring 1850 372 372, email us, or adjust your bill online here if you see that it has been estimated (this will be clearly marked on your bill). With the introduction of our Meter Reading Apps, you can now also submit readings via your Smartphone.

If you would like me to have a look at your account for you, please feel free to send on your details via PM.

Thanks,

David.

Advertisement