Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trouble connecting to public networks.

Options
  • 05-12-2011 11:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭

A few weeks ago I was in a hostel and tried to connect to the network. I managed to do so but for some reason it wouldn't connect to the internet. One of the other lads in the room managed it no problem. The network map showed me connected to the network but not the internet. The message on Google Chrome said it may be the DNS settings. When I tried to troubleshoot it came back with a message saying my settings were correct but I was not connecting to the internet.

The other day I was in the library and I had the exact same problem. I'm not especially gifted when it comes to this sort of thing so any help would be appreciated. I can connect to my home network no problem it just seems to be public connections.

Any additional information needed let me know and I'll try and get screen shots later on.

(To mods: If this is the incorrect place to post could you kindly move the thread or instruct me where to open it instead of simply closing the thread. I really need this resolved. Thank you)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

What OS ?

Make sure you are in DHCP mode and not in static IP address type

Go to Windows & Run (Windows + R keys),type cmd and:

ipconfig /release
    ipconfig/renew
    ipconfig/all

take screenshot of the DOS window!

while in there run this commands,in a DOS command prompt:

ping 127.0.0.1 - check if your PC works fine

ping IP address (whatever local IP v4 address you get from DHCP)-check LAN

ping default gateway (whatever default gateway you get from DHCP) - check LAN

ping DNS server (whatever DNS address you get from DHCP) - check LAN

ping www.o2.ie

ping 62.40.39.196

tracert www.o2.ie
    tracert 62.40.39.196

In all pings you should get 4 replyes.
    If one fails,do the next test and take screen shots,post it back here...
    In tracert,you may have to cancel command due to time outs...

Please note that some LANs are configured to don't allow pings send/reply.

Good luck

Advertisement