Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Attach large mirror to lathe and plaster wall

• 05-12-2011 11:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 29

I am trying to attach a large mirror (6 1/2 ft by 8 ft) to an old lathe and plaster wall.
    The mirror is extremely heavy - 2 of us can only just lift it, and we are obviously trying to bolt it to the wall rather than hang it. It is mounted in a wooden frame with mounting brackets attached.

What are the best type of fixings to use for this? The lathe and plaster is very crumbly and disintegrates a bit when we try to drill holes - quite an old house. There is a stone (not brick) wall about 3 inches behind the lathe and plaster. We have tried drilling in to this stone, but the plaster just disintegrates around the hole and it makes lining up the holes very difficult.

Thanks for any advice.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

The laths are nailed to verticle studs, if you probe along horizontally you will find these, the old ones are usually at 14" centres, you may have to alter the position of the brackets to match the stud positions. I suggest you secure a 2x1 or something similar to the studs on the bottom to carry the weight of the mirror.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

You might consider bonding it to the wall with mirror adhesive. Would be much safer too since the bonded pieces won't fall on top of anyone should it break.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

suppose the wooden frame is 4 inches wide and 1 inch thick and oak.

I would get two pieces of oak 4" wide and 1" thick, long enough to sit on the floor and touch the ceiling.

I would then cut a notch in the uprights 1.5 inches deep and 6.6 feet high so as the mirror can be seated in the 2 uprights, transmitting all the weight to the floor.

the frame can be screwed though the side of the notch.

Season to taste:)

Advertisement