Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

coughing at night

Options
  • 05-12-2011 12:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭

hi all, my 11 month old son has a problem with coughing at night time, he doesnt seem to cough during the day its just when he tries to sleep at nite that it starts and it keeps him awake for ages, ive tried baby vicks vapour rub, karvol, giving him water, and now im trying the nelsons sootha natural cough bottle, but he still seems to be coughin and has to sit up every time,
    its keeping him awake for hours at nite and the poor fella just wants to sleep.
    anyone have this problem and if so any ideas what to do??
    p.s it doesnt sound chesty and he doesnt have a cold with it or a temp:confused::confused::confused:
    thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

My son goes through phases of the same. I got a mixture called pharmony from the pharmacy. It's glycerin and some other ingredients but it's very effective. I dont think sootha is recommended for under 1 as it contains honey. I bought it too and googled to see if I could give it and that was the general recommendation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

Is the heating on at night?? sounds like a dry or tickley cough..maybe a warm drink to calm the irritation? when did it start?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Mr Bloat

You could try putting something (like a couple of folded blankets or a pillow) under the top of his mattress, where his head would be, to create a slight tilt in the bed to elevate his head. I picked up this tip from a nurse when my eldest was born and I do it every time one of my kids has a cough. It works very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭jackben

cbyrd wrote: »
    Is the heating on at night?? sounds like a dry or tickley cough..maybe a warm drink to calm the irritation? when did it start?

Hi Thanks for ur reply, yes heating would be on but not too hot or not all night! Tried giving him water every time but to no avail. Must try warm drink instead.
    It is going on a few weeks on an off to be honest which is why I confused as to what it could be.

My son goes through phases of the same. I got a mixture called pharmony from the pharmacy. It's glycerin and some other ingredients but it's very effective. I dont think sootha is recommended for under 1 as it contains honey. I bought it too and googled to see if I could give it and that was the general recommendation.

Hi, thanks for reply, the woman in chemist said it was OK for him to use the sootha!! So I don't no? I must enquire bout the pharmony. Just want him to get a good night's sleep. And me :-(.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Roselm

It could be an allergy to something in the bedroom.
    Coughing can also be a symptom of asthma. Best to check with your GP what he/she thinks.
    Hope you get to the bottom of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭neonman

We are in the same boat. Our little one has/had croup recently and still has a cough from it.

We brought her to salt spa therapy in Malahide and I must say it made a difference straight away with the croup. But she still has a bad cough at night time that is waking her up.

I put a damp towel on the radiator in her room last night and I must say it made a big difference not as much coughing last night compared to others, so you could try that.

We're thinking of buying the Vicks Vapor Humidifier as the winter months with the heat on in the house will make her room to have dry air = coughing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

Been there for too long, 3 of mine had the asthmatic cough. 1 has grew out of it the other 2 now 5 and 6 have had it since the age age of 2. both are on inhalers (preventatives and relievers) They would cough and cough and cough, they could cough that much they would vomit but the gp said there was no chest infections or anthing on their chests, so after a while they were both diagnosed asthmatics. They have been given steriods a good few times it would clear the cough for a week and then it would be back in full force.

Go to the gp. we have tried everything from vicks to humidifiers to wet towels on radiators, windows open all night, (we also have wodden floors no carpet in the house) and the only thing that works is the flixotide 125 preventative inhaler.

Been there for too long, 3 of mine had the asthmatic cough. 1 has grew out of it the other 2 now 5 and 6 have had it since the age age of 2. both are on inhalers (preventatives and relievers) They would cough and cough and cough, they could cough that much they would vomit but the gp said there was no chest infections or anthing on their chests, so after a while they were both diagnosed asthmatics. They have been given steriods a good few times it would clear the cough for a week and then it would be back in full force.

Go to the gp. we have tried everything from vicks to humidifiers to wet towels on radiators, windows open all night, (we also have wodden floors no carpet in the house) and the only thing that works is the flixotide 125 preventative inhaler.

Thanks for replys, it is so annoying not knowing whats causing it. Last nite he woke at 3 coughing an couldnt get back to sleep for couple hours,
    Think i will make doc app for friday an get it sorted.

Hope the little one gets on ok,

• Advertisement

Hope the little one gets on ok,
    Hope the little one gets on ok,[/Quote

Hi all, had my son at the doc an she has put him on an inhaler for 3 weeks he will be using it 2 weeks this sat an to honest i dont see any improvement at all if anything its worse, he coughs so much that his face goes red an its as if his either goin to choke or get sick, he gets so upset too cos he trying too sleep and id say its hurting his throat.i just dont no what to do, i feel like goin back to the doc but im afraid ill be wasting my time an they say theres nothing they can do.????

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

My 11 month old son is exactly the same. I haven't brought him to the gp because the cough comes and goes and isn't chesty. Some nights he coughs a lot and others not at all but he never coughs during the day.

I read somewhere recently but can't remember where that this type of recurring cough goes when they're about one year old.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭annieoburns

This can be allergic reaction to dust mite or mould spores.

Check out bedding such as mattress and pillow. Get new pillow and dustmite proof cover for mattress. Wash bedlinen at higher temperature, 60 degree. Dry/ air bedlinen in sun if possible.

Keep cuddly toys to minimum and wash same. A spell in a freezer in a plastic bag can kill dust mites or a session in a hotpress. Ensure toys or pillows that are washed are fully dry as damp patch will lead to mould. Dust mites love warm moist environment so remember to 'air' the bedding during the day. Maybe put bedding in hot press during the day or have a set of pillows to rotate.

Keep bedroom as dust free as possible.

jackben wrote: »

Hi all, had my son at the doc an she has put him on an inhaler for 3 weeks he will be using it 2 weeks this sat an to honest i dont see any improvement at all if anything its worse, he coughs so much that his face goes red an its as if his either goin to choke or get sick, he gets so upset too cos he trying too sleep and id say its hurting his throat.i just dont no what to do, i feel like goin back to the doc but im afraid ill be wasting my time an they say theres nothing they can do.??????

That also happened to us, it took 3 years before we found something that worked. They could be coughing for weeks before they had respite. The gp changed their inhalers to flixotide 125 back in May and things improved. My boys coughed every night from November all the way to May without a break, they went to the gps once a month, even took them to out of hours doctor. (he prescribed seretide which was bloody brilliant but my own gp withdrew it as its only given to children with a severe wheeze and little is know on the side affects on children) They were given steroids on and off over the last few years and that gave them respite but 2 weeks later the coughing was back. To begin with mine never coughed during the day only at night

The coughing will cause a sore throat, also in the last 3 weeks is there any chance he could of got a sore throat or an infection of the throat which is making it worse.

My lads coughed that much they would vomit and choke. Their chests were always clear though. Its a nightmare, but your gp is the only one who can help so go back and see if there is anything they can do for him. We asked for an nebuliser but the gp said that only kids with a wheeze get one, so wouldn't write us a prescription.

What did the gp think it was? Did he think it was an alleric reaction or did he think it was an astmatic cough? or did he not have a clue? Sort of im not sure what it is we will give him an inhaler and see what happens, if that doesnt work we will try something else. Or did he think the inhaler would work?

This can be allergic reaction to dust mite or mould spores.

Check out bedding such as mattress and pillow. Get new pillow and dustmite proof cover for mattress. Wash bedlinen at higher temperature, 60 degree. Dry/ air bedlinen in sun if possible.

Keep cuddly toys to minimum and wash same. A spell in a freezer in a plastic bag can kill dust mites or a session in a hotpress. Ensure toys or pillows that are washed are fully dry as damp patch will lead to mould. Dust mites love warm moist environment so remember to 'air' the bedding during the day. Maybe put bedding in hot press during the day or have a set of pillows to rotate.

Keep bedroom as dust free as possible.

Is that not asthma?

Some peoples triggers are change in room tempreture others are dust mites / mould / smoke / detergents/ bleach/ aerosols / food preservatives / pets and so on and so on. The list is too long to go through.

Good idea to keep room/ house as dust free as possible, also carpet is supposed to be worse than wooden floors. We have wooden floors and still that hasnt helped.

Hi all, had my son at the doc an she has put him on an inhaler for 3 weeks he will be using it 2 weeks this sat an to honest i dont see any improvement at all if anything its worse, he coughs so much that his face goes red an its as if his either goin to choke or get sick, he gets so upset too cos he trying too sleep and id say its hurting his throat.i just dont no what to do, i feel like goin back to the doc but im afraid ill be wasting my time an they say theres nothing they can do.??????

That also happened to us, it took 3 years before we found something that worked. They could be coughing for weeks before they had respite. The gp changed their inhalers to flixotide 125 back in May and things improved. My boys coughed every night from November all the way to May without a break, they went to the gps once a month, even took them to out of hours doctor. (he prescribed seretide which was bloody brilliant but my own gp withdrew it as its only given to children with a severe wheeze and little is on the side affects on children) They were given steroids on and off over the last few years and that gave them respite but 2 weeks later the coughing was back.

The coughing will cause a sore throat, also in the last 3 weeks is there any chance he could of got a sore throat or an infection of the throat which is making it worse.

My lads coughed that much they would vomit and choke. Their chests were always clear though. Its a nightmare, but your gp is the only one who can help so go back and see if there is anything they can do for him. We asked for an nebuliser but the gp said that only kids with a wheeze get one, so wouldn't write us a prescription.

What did the gp think it was? Did he think it was an alleric reaction or did he think it was an astmatic cough? or did he not have a clue? Sort of im not sure what it is we will give him an inhaler and see what happens, if that doesnt work we will try something else. Or did he think the inhaler would work?

Hi grindewald, thanks for ur reply, god 3 years is a long time! He does at moment have ear an throat infection an is on antibiotics, but thats only in last few days, this coughin is goin in bout 6 weeks now, at moment it think it sounds bit chesty cos of the infection.
    I think the doctor is not sure, said to try inhaler fir 3 weeks an c if any improvement so id say just guessing. 3 weeks is up next week so ill bring him back then maybe.
    Thanks for ur reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,250 ✭✭✭Juwwi

Can a 11 month old take an inhaler properly?

I had asthma as a child but used to take a medicine befre going on a inhaler.

Do u you have carpet in the room. I'd try taking that up if you do
    as the amount od dust in them is unreal.

Hi grindewald, thanks for ur reply, god 3 years is a long time! He does at moment have ear an throat infection an is on antibiotics, but thats only in last few days, this coughin is goin in bout 6 weeks now, at moment it think it sounds bit chesty cos of the infection.
    I think the doctor is not sure, said to try inhaler fir 3 weeks an c if any improvement so id say just guessing. 3 weeks is up next week so ill bring him back then maybe.
    Thanks for ur reply.

Yep we went through a lot of that guess work, we will try this see if it works and we will try that and it went on and on and on until they finally gave us a preventative inhaler and that was of no use and they gave us a stronger only and now are we seeing the benefits. We had loads of sleepless nights. the chances are if its the asthmatic cough they grow out of it, November to April is also the time of year that its more likely to occur with the central heating being on and hot inside and cold outside. you will get there.

A friend of mine down the road from me every time my boys asthma kicked off her daughters did only last xmas when the child was almost 3 they diagnosed CF, they were full sure it was asthma as thats what the gp said it could be, they had no medical card so when she had coughing spells they put it down to the asthma only until they had to call the gp out when she had a really bad turn and she was sent to hospital did they find out it was CF.

She is doing really well now with the right medication. But do go back to the gp, Im not saying its asthma or cf or an alleric reaction or anything else, only your gp can find out what causing the coughing.

robbie1977 wrote: »

There is a special mask that fits over their nose and mouth is called a babyhaler. You just hold it on them until the time is up, i know i had to pin mine down and they would fight it. But it has to be done....

There is also ventolin syrup but that only works for some people and not others, my eldest had the syrup and inhaler, neither did much good. Buts she grew out of it.

robbie1977 wrote: »

There is a special mask that fits over their nose and mouth is called a babyhaler. You just hold it on them until the time is up, i know i had to pin mine down and they would fight it. But it has to be done....

There is also ventolin syrup but that only works for some people and not others, my eldest had the syrup and inhaler, neither did much good. Buts she grew out of it.

Yes there is special mask to help give inhaler an he does fight it too ... Also his in the same room since he was born so dont think it could be carpet etc, although i just dont no at this stage.
    I will bring him back to doctor an try an get it sorted once an for all.
    Thanks to all for your advice x

• Advertisement

Good luck, and i hope santas good to him, oh and his birthday should be sometime around now, so happy 1st birthday too :D

*my guess is for the next few months is going to be trial and error before you do get on top of it. The summer/srping should give you a break.

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭Cal04

my daughter is 5 and has that wicked cough on and off for a few years. she was put on flixotide 125 a few months ago and was doing great until a few days ago, she got croup, then her nose started and that awful cough is back, hate it so much. btw my daughter has asthma

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

We found a humidifier helped ease the cough, once they got better sleep they were better able to fight the cough. Obviously we checked first with the doc there wasn't an underlying problem.

Advertisement