Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does the Eircom Netopia work with the Next Generation broadband.

Options
  • 05-12-2011 12:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭

Does the Eircom Netopia (from 5+ years ago?) work with the Next Generation broadband.
    The reason I ask is that my netopia router which has been reliable for at least 5 years currently cant hold a connection.
    As soon as I start browsing I lose the DSL connection. Then it restablishes after 5 minutes.
    I know Eircom have just done some kind of upgrade to NGB in my area although I dont know the exact day.
    I live in the Blackrock area of Count Louth - did something happen last Friday - ie was the NGB switch over implemented then.
    My neighbour is with Eircom and he has no connection problems however he has a different router.
    I'm a bit relucant to change my modem as I have specific gaming and cctv settings that were difficult to setup first time round with the netopia.
    I've logged a fault 5425768 but cann not wait too log for a reply as I need to do some work from home asap.

I am reasonably techy savey regarding and have done all the extension swapping, phone unplugging, micro filter changing that I can do.
    Is my router too old? - can they just stop working?
    Or did something get switched at the Eircom exchange on Friday 2nd of December 2011?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭eircom: Ant

sfag31 wrote: »
    Does the Eircom Netopia (from 5+ years ago?) work with the Next Generation broadband.
    The reason I ask is that my netopia router which has been reliable for at least 5 years currently cant hold a connection.
    As soon as I start browsing I lose the DSL connection. Then it restablishes after 5 minutes.
    I know Eircom have just done some kind of upgrade to NGB in my area although I dont know the exact day.
    I live in the Blackrock area of Count Louth - did something happen last Friday - ie was the NGB switch over implemented then.
    My neighbour is with Eircom and he has no connection problems however he has a different router.
    I'm a bit relucant to change my modem as I have specific gaming and cctv settings that were difficult to setup first time round with the netopia.
    I've logged a fault 5425768 but cann not wait too log for a reply as I need to do some work from home asap.

I am reasonably techy savey regarding and have done all the extension swapping, phone unplugging, micro filter changing that I can do.
    Is my router too old? - can they just stop working?
    Or did something get switched at the Eircom exchange on Friday 2nd of December 2011?

Hi sfag31,

Thanks for your post. I have already advised on this on the eircom threads.

However, firstly the Netopia router is compatible with Adsl 2 and is widely used by many customers on NGB. I suppose, like all electrical equipment, TVs, radio, etc, modems do have a warrantee factor. At the end of the day you're welcome to change it for a more advanced router, if you believe this is where any connection problems emanate from.

In general though alot of intermittent connection problems are caused by internal phoneline interference.

As said before, the source of your connection problem may not be the modem itself and may be related to something else.

The following basic troubleshooting should help determine if this is an internal or external issue.

Firstly:
    Powercycle the modem:
    Flick the power switch to the Off position on the back of the modem
    Wait 30 seconds
    Switch the modem back On
    Wait two minutes for the modem to re-connect

*Temporarily disconnect everything from the phone line: phones, fax machine, Sky Digital TV, or any other equipment connected to the phone line which may interfere with the broadband connection. For e.g: a long private extension cable. Also, when testing your connection: ENSURE that you temporarily remove the adsl splitter and connect the modem directly to the main phone socket.

*All secondary phone extensions should be correctly FILTERED. If you have any problems with your Secondary Phone Socket(s) you will need to contact a 3rd party/ or vendor who installed this extension socket (usually an electrician).

Are you connecting wirelessly?

* If you are using wireless to connect to the internet, connect your computer to the modem with the yellow ethernet cable if possible. This would eliminate any wireless related problems which may affect your connection speed.

If you are unsure about any of the above, please take a look at our Broaband Checklist on the eircom Forum:

Broadband Checklist

If you are still experiencing slow speeds, after testing your connection as advised, then try a full hard reset of your modem. To do this please follow the instuctions on eircom's Support Forum website -

Resetting the Modem

If you are still experiencing intermittent connections after resetting the modem, then you will need to call into Broadband Support.

Completing the Checks (above) will ensure that you have tested the modem as advised by Technical Support. Once this is done and you are still experiencing intermittent connection or slow speeds /or low attainable rates / then please contact Broadband Technical Support ;-.

Broadband Technical Support : 1890 260260 (lowcall); Hours : 08:00 - 22:00 (7 days).

Please retain your case id /reference from Technical Support, as this will speed up your call time and help if you need to follow up.

Kind regards,
    Ant

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭dhoun

Once I changed from the Netopia to the newer router issued by Eircom to NGB customers, my speed doubled.

Advertisement