Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

why should we have to apply for a mod?

Options
  • 05-12-2011 12:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭

Theres often threads on here talking about applying for a mod for a rifle and it got me thinkning.. whats the frikkin point of having to get permission to reduce the noise of your firearm. I cant wrap me head around why the guards have to give you permission to have a moderator. is it just down to our stupid legislation written by gob****es that wouldnt know a rifle from a soggy old potato.

disclaimer: if im missing something obvious here I blame sleep deprivation.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Blame Hollywood and sensationalist journalists :(

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭daveob007

Its a complete loade of s**te,no sound reason for it,just as a gun becomes more dangerous if it has a pistol grip or looks like a military assault gun,or a six shot revolver is restriced as opposed to 5 shot,our firearm laws are full of utter bull sh**e,i could go on and on and on we all know the issues.:mad::mad::mad::mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭landkeeper

just be thankful your not living in the uk

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Glensman

landkeeper wrote: »
    just be thankful your not living in the uk

Mods are easy to get in the UK.
    It's much the same system as you have...

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭session savage

Wouldnt it be fair rediculous if the laws in this country were written by people who were informed about the subjects they were writhing laws for, god knows how sensible the laws would be then.... and we couldnt have that now could we.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,026 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

You can blame a FF jail bird[Ray Burke] and and Willie O Dea for this debacle!!As usual "more be seen doing somthing"legislation.
    As well as too much Hollywood information about silencers,flick knives,crossbows and other wonderful toys for adults,gave us this mess.:mad:

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭Longranger

We have to apply cos someone in office thinks that we will all go around at 3 in the morning,murdering people in total silence:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:!! Atotal crock of sh!te IMO:mad:

Glensman wrote: »

does it not need to have a serial number :confused:
    i also was reffering to having to get your land 'vetted' by tptb and having to have exactly what you wish to shoot listed on your ticket the rifle side of things in the uk is stricter than it is in the roi
    there is even the issue of vmax bullets being 'expanding heads' illegal/legal according to some of my friends there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭.243

Glensman wrote: »
    but in fairness glensmans the system you have to abide be seems to be a bit more black and white to out system which is normally black,gray black,gray,gray white,off white and white and no transparency

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭session savage

Longranger wrote: »
    We have to apply cos some pr!ck in office thinks that we will all go around at 3 in the morning,murdering people in total silence:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:!! Atotal crock of sh!te IMO:mad:

I wouldnt mind but my moderated .223 isnt exactly stealthy!! unlike the .50cal rifle in rambo..... what make moderator is on this beast to make a .50 cal go pssst??
    http://youtu.be/vcLM7VmsW1Q?t=7s

• Advertisement

does it not need to have a serial number :confused:
    i also was reffering to having to get your land 'vetted' by tptb and having to have exactly what you wish to shoot listed on your ticket the rifle side of things in the uk is stricter than it is in the roi
    there is even the issue of vmax bullets being 'expanding heads' illegal/legal according to some of my friends there

Oh yeah, like that's all a nuisance and it's even worse in the 6 counties than in the UK. But once you have everything and if you're ok at paperwork it not the worst. Not all mods have serial no's so don't need to be registered. I was granted mods for all my calibres with no issue...
    As far as the expanding heads, noone really understands that one. I think it was more a case of the US didn't allow v-max heads to be posted to reloaders so they had to use a-max...
    .243 wrote: »
    but in fairness glensmans the system you have to abide be seems to be a bit more black and white to out system which is normally black,gray black,gray,gray white,off white and white and no transparency

Well the system in the 6 counties is very similar to your own. The english system is a lot more relaxed!

For example one issue we have here is that I cannot get my .270 opened up for fox. You can't use anything over 22-250 on foxes (although this is not actually stated anywhere, it's just the way it is). So I Had to buy a .223 even though I had a 90gr load developed for the .270.

Another one is they make you do a deer stalking cert before they will give you a deer legal calibre. This costs £365 over 3 days in Fermanagh, if you take in meals and accommodation you're looking at £500 :mad: agian, this is not a written rule and does not apply in Britain, only here.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Lads, it could be worse. Some places won't let you have one at all!
    Australia springs to mind.

the system in mainland uk is far from simple i have a bud who got put through the wringer cos he shot a fox with his stalking rifle and it wasn't on his ticket , even though he has other rifles and it states fox for those they were also going to get arsey with him cos he had used vmax bullets
    admittedly he did meet a 'super efficient cop' on his way home who pulled him over with dead fox in the boot but as he says himself it was a bit hairy scarey for a while . another lad i know shot a couple of sheep worrying dogs for a farmer he knows that all got very nasty one of the things he was ticked off about was his fac didn't state dogs lol
    afaik moderators are serialised and you need that too you can't just buy it over the counter

then there is the whole open ticket closed ticket mess
    gray areas they maybe here but they are alot more relaxed than there

the system in mainland uk is far from simple i have a bud who got put through the wringer cos he shot a fox with his stalking rifle and it wasn't on his ticket , even though he has other rifles and it states fox for those they were also going to get arsey with him cos he had used vmax bullets
    admittedly he did meet a 'super efficient cop' on his way home who pulled him over with dead fox in the boot but as he says himself it was a bit hairy scarey for a while . another lad i know shot a couple of sheep worrying dogs for a farmer he knows that all got very nasty one of the things he was ticked off about was his fac didn't state dogs lol
    afaik moderators are serialised and you need that too you can't just buy it over the counter

then there is the whole open ticket closed ticket mess
    gray areas they maybe here but they are alot more relaxed than there

That is one thing, everyone in the 6 counties has an open ticket, which is handy.

My Mod on the .223 is not serialised, nor on the .22lr.
    It just says on my licence that I have slots for these. I also have a slot for a .270 mod, but I don't have one...

I've heard of that dog thing coming up a couple of times alright. It's a strange situation to find yourself in because you have to take the shot...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭Gonzor

To be honest I wouldnt be getting too hung up on it.... its just an extra tick on the box on your application form. No big deal really :)

I hate to say this, but we all know what our government is like when it comes to firearms, Im inclined to think we got off pretty lightly on mod number to be honest.

Just imagine some of the obstacles they could put in the way

silencer tax
    have to be shooting 5 years before before you can apply for a mod
    only allowed a mod if you piss at 45 degree angle :rolleyes:

or they could just ban them outright. I wouldnt put it past them either.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

Gonzor wrote: »
    To be honest I wouldnt be getting too hung up on it.... its just an extra tick on the box on your application form. No big deal really :)

its not just tick the box. you need to add a letter saying why you need it and try and convince the super to give it to you, its all down to him and you might get it in one part of the county and be reused it in another part with the exact same letter with the same reasons.

it should be set in stone that you can get one for various reasons and not just leave the decision up to the super imo

garv123 wrote: »
    its not just tick the box. you need to add a letter saying why you need it and try and convince the super to give it to you, its all down to him and you might get it in one part of the county and be reused it in another part with the exact same letter with the same reasons.

it should be set in stone that you can get one for various reasons and not just leave the decision up to the super imo

Really? Ive got 3 licences here with the magic S and I never got asked anything. No letter. No questions.

SOunds to me like its just certain supers taking it upon themselves to make life hard.. and not actually anything to do with the law?

Really? Ive got 3 licences here with the magic S and I never got asked anything. No letter. No questions.

SOunds to me like its just certain supers taking it upon themselves to make life hard.. and not actually anything to do with the law?

Must he lucky with the super you have. some just out right wont give them tto anyone. they are the law it seems when it comes to giving mods.

Must he lucky with the super you have. some just out right wont give them tto anyone. they are the law it seems when it comes to giving mods.

Well actually I thought my super was bad (but seemingly not that bad afterall) because hes a tightarse when it comes to centerfires. I dont think he knows a whole lot about firearms, but if Dermot Ahern says a centerfire pistol leads to more criminals then surely a centerfire rifle cant be much better now can it :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭poulo6.5

its crazy to have to apply for a moderator but i will tell you this. i had to have an interview with my super when applying for my mod. during this interview he said he didnt want people running around the countryside with silent high powered rifles.

in his own words he said that a "silencer" wouldent give people off in the distance a chance to get out of the way if you are you shooting in their direction.

WHAT CAN YOU SAY TO THAT.

then recently when i moved to kerry i insisted on meeting the super down there and during the meeting he said the same thing. i was lost for words that an adult in a responsible position. obviously an intelligent individual would ask such a nonsensical question and expect an answer

• Advertisement

hear a bang, ahh theres a bullet coming, run awayyyy :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

did you inform him the bullet was travelling faster than the speed of sound and would have been there before the bang was?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

Its called a Nanny state, combined with fear of being overthrown. Any state that was founded by force hates to see firearms of any description in public hands. It doesnt help that the criminals run rings around the guards and its easier to control legitimate firearms that chase down the druggies;)

poulo6.5 wrote: »
    i had to have an interview with my super when applying for my mod. during this interview he said he didnt want people running around the countryside with silent high powered rifles.

in his own words he said that a "silencer" wouldent give people off in the distance a chance to get out of the way if you are you shooting in their direction.

Did he give it to ya in the end..??

• Registered Users Posts: 28 virgindrummer

Its called a Nanny state, combined with fear of being overthrown. Any state that was founded by force hates to see firearms of any description in public hands. It doesnt help that the criminals run rings around the guards and its easier to control legitimate firearms that chase down the druggies;)

Every state was founded by force, or threat of force, and every state exists only by claiming a monopoly over the legitimate use of force. USA was birthed in blood and allows it's citizens to own machine guns and grenade launchers. And machine grenade launchers. Some people are servile, some proud.

I agree wholeheartedly with the second part of your post. Law abiding citizens are the natural target of the security state, or nanny state.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭poulo6.5

i had to have an interview with my super when applying for my mod. during this interview he said he didnt want people running around the countryside with silent high powered rifles.

Did he give it to ya in the end..??

Ya I got it in the end only because I was able to justify a legitimate use for one and I guess I came across as a sensible law abiding citizen.

Every state was founded by force, or threat of force, and every state exists only by claiming a monopoly over the legitimate use of force. USA was birthed in blood and allows it's citizens to own machine guns and grenade launchers. And machine grenade launchers. Some people are servile, some proud.

Sure it does!IF you pay a 200 USD tax,want a total federal backround check,submit your fingerprints to the Feds and wait about 12 weeks for the Okay.Then pay anything from 2,000 usd to 35,000 usd for any of the above you metioned ,and live in a state that allows possession of any of the above mentioned.You can do it!!:rolleyes: Oh forgot to mention that 200 usd tax also applies for EACH explosive round you might want for your 40mm blooper tube!! A really cheap hobby and easily obtainable equipment over there.:eek:

I
    agree wholeheartedly with the second part of your post. Law abiding citizens are the natural target of the security state, or nanny state.[/

Of course you can be a Mexican drug dealer and no doubt the BATFE will supply you with plenty of illegal hardware and lose track of it after it has shot a US border patrol officer and then try to cover it all up..From the folks that brought you Waco and Ruby Ridge...Another great BATFE sucess.... operation Fast &furious...[more like Feckless & Fukwitted!]

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

did you inform him the bullet was travelling faster than the speed of sound and would have been there before the bang was?

Ah come On! Dont confuse the poor man now with high fluetent technical ballistic science!!!:D:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Sika98k

its crazy to have to apply for a moderator but i will tell you this. i had to have an interview with my super when applying for my mod. during this interview he said he didnt want people running around the countryside with silent high powered rifles.

then recently when i moved to kerry i insisted on meeting the super down there and during the meeting he said the same thing. i was lost for words that an adult in a responsible position. obviously an intelligent individual would ask such a nonsensical question and expect an answer

I,ll bet you are not too sure about the last bit now :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

Can you not justify using a mod on the grounds of health and safety ? When hunting ,ear defenders are not really practical and it only takes the noise of one centrefire round to permanently damage human hearing.
    Its only a few years since the state had to fork out millions to ex-servicemen for hearing loss compensation after all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

I think you guys are confusing a few things:
    • Legislation drafted without consultation with technical experts
    • A legislative process that gives a free shot at that draft in the Dail and Seanad to politicians who may or may not have technical expertise and who may or may not be acting in good faith (as opposed to trying to get some press coverage)
    • A police force who are then expected to implement the result of the legislative process and who bear personal responsibility in the event of legal challanges or liability issues if something goes horribly wrong, but who are never given enough training to do the job in the first place
    • A society who generally aren't well informed about firearms

Put all of those together and I don't see servile people or a nation striving to be born in blood or any other image ripped off from a particularly drunk (and not particularly talented) poet somewhere in templebar early on a sunday morning. Instead, I get Hanlon's Razor:
    Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.

And in this case, I'm referring to the kind of stupidity that leaves you standing outside your door at seven in the morning when rushing to get to work, staring through the hall windows at the keys to the car and house lying there in their dish on the hall table, behind the door you just pulled closed and locked behind you.

Advertisement