Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2011 Cooking Club Week 48: Nutty Veggie Burgers with Paprika Squash Chips

• 05-12-2011 12:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 176 ✭✭

Thanks to vibe666 for swapping with me last week- sorry for putting you in a jam! And so, let's cook.....

These are the number one “can we have…?” dinner option in our house, and there’s nothing fancy about them. This recipe has developed over the last few years. I’ll list some of the alternatives that I have tried at the end. Enjoy…

[img][/img]6344552996_bcde5eb8d4.jpg
    BILD0667 by Muirgheal, on Flickr

30g butter, (sorry, not in the picture)
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    1 onion, finely diced
    2tbsp flour
    1 tsp each of dried parsley and thyme, (a tbsp each of fresh is better, but I had none when I was making these)
    Juice of one lemon (or a lime)
    1 tsp of yeast extract
    75ml ish of water
    200g mixed nuts, chopped, (works best when some brazil nuts and walnuts are included, hazelnuts good also.)
    5 large carrots, chopped
    Opt- 50g approx breadcrumbs (depending on how “wet” the mixture is.)

(BTW real butter is ab.sol.ute.ly eeeee-f***ing-sential for this, if you’re not willing to use real butter go away and try another recipe.)

For the Paprika Squash Chips…

[img][/img]6343799763_a0110169c0.jpg
    BILD0661 by Muirgheal, on Flickr

1 butternut squash, cut into “chips”
    1 tsp paprika
    1 tbsp olive oil

I usually start with the chips and get them ready for the oven.

1. Cut the squash into chips and place in large lunch box, or clean plastic bag, (which wouldn’t need washing afterwards.)

[img][/img]6344557152_05eabd960c.jpg
    BILD0670 by Muirgheal, on Flickr

2. Add paprika and oil.

[img][/img]6343812645_876cc16684.jpg
    BILD0672 by Muirgheal, on Flickr

3. Put the lid on the box and shake until chips are evenly coated with oil and spice.

[img][/img]6344565452_732e08a890.jpg
    BILD0675 by Muirgheal, on Flickr

4. Spread on baking tray and leave to one side until ready to put into oven with burgers.

[img][/img]6344600122_1a781a2e52.jpg
    BILD0702 by Muirgheal, on Flickr

And so the burgers…

5. Melt the butter over medium heat in a large saucepan. (Again, real butter only!)

[img][/img]6344577270_2ddb0c8aed.jpg
    BILD0689 by Muirgheal, on Flickr

6. Add diced onion and minced garlic and cook until golden. (Don’t scald your nose with the steam as you try to get the whole benefit of the heavenly smell at this stage!)

[img][/img]6344580862_83df1913cd.jpg
    BILD0691 by Muirgheal, on Flickr

7. Add in flour, and cook for two or three minutes. (Didn’t take photo of this.)

8. Add in the water and lemon juice slowly, stirring all the time, to make a stiff binding sauce. (Again, no photo)

9. Add the yeast extract and herbs at this point. Also salt and pepper to taste. I usually allow the yeast extract do the salt’s job.

[img][/img]6343835911_2e28e99872.jpg
    BILD0695 by Muirgheal, on Flickr

10. Chop nuts, I like to leave them the consistency of uncooked rice.

[img][/img]6343821067_7be09266ea.jpg
    BILD0681 by Muirgheal, on Flickr

11. Chop carrot, again I like to have it the consistency of uncooked rice.

[img][/img]6344573468_36344244d7.jpg
    BILD0686 by Muirgheal, on Flickr

12. Add the nuts and carrot to saucepan.

[img][/img]6344591194_22dc2efdef.jpg
    BILD0701 by Muirgheal, on Flickr

13. At this stage, if the mix is not firm enough to shape into patties, you can add some breadcrumbs, or leave it to firm up in the fridge overnight.

14. I made 10 patties out of this quantity. Place on oiled greaseproof paper on a baking tray.

[img][/img]6344608024_7800ff09be.jpg
    BILD0703 by Muirgheal, on Flickr

15. Heat the oven to 200c and bake the burgers and chips for 25 or 30 mins…
    [img][/img]6344612842_15ba232d64_z.jpg
    BILD0707 by muireasa, on Flickr

… and yes, I broke the burgers trying to serve them up! That “green stuff” on top of the chips is lime pickle, the tart/spicy taste goes really well with the sweetness of everything else on the plate.

BTW forgive the photos- I have a tiny, tiny kitchen, and this was not the most picture perfect preparation I have ever achieved. Also, steam got on the lens.

1. I’ll say it again, REAL butter. The flavour is perfect with the nuts. For 10 burgers it works out at 3g per burger, I bet you put more on your toast.
    2. Yeast extract is a lovely salty/umami flavour with the sweet flavour of the carrots, nuts and butter. I have also tried soy sauce and fish sauce. They work, but I think the yeast extract is best.
    3. I used lemon cause that was in the fruit basket, but I think lime is actually better.
    4. I have tried a few other vegetables and mixes of vegetables in this recipe. Parsnips work really well. Peas (mashed) are ok. Potatoes need to be squeezed as dry as possible in a clean tea towel when chopped. Courgettes have too much water, even when squeezed out. I have also added sweet corn to this on a couple of occasions, but it is just too sweet overall. You do need the breadcrumbs if you’re adding mushrooms, they seem to add moisture. Will be interested to hear what anyone else tries, and also what anyone else tries with herbs.
    5. Serve carefully, they do break fairly easily if you haven’t added the breadcrumbs- (which I didn’t in the ones photographed.)
    6. The paprika pictured, Mas Portell, has a lovely smoke and spice flavour that really, really goes with the squash. I haven’t found another paprika that has the same taste.
    7. Did I mention that real butter is vitally important in this recipe?

Bon appetit!

Comments

Yay! Something veggie! :)

Can I ask you, where do you get your paprika? And where can I track down yeast extract....is it expensive? I never heard of it before. I,m not sure what else I would use it for.
    Actually is marmite yeast extract?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 176 ✭✭Muirgheal

Moonbaby wrote: »

Can I ask you, where do you get your paprika? And where can I track down yeast extract....is it expensive? I never heard of it before. I,m not sure what else I would use it for.

Paprika available in Sligo at Kate's Kitchen, and I think at Evergreen in Galway. Not familiar with anywhere else.

Yes, marmite is yeast extract. I love it on toast, and it's lovely added to soups. Also spread on egg white and spinach omelette- makes it worth eating!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,327 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

You can get paprika in any supermarket like Dunnes, Tesco etc Moonbaby :) Yeast extract you should be also able to get in a supermarket I'd say

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,656 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Yeah Marmite, vegemite, Promite

Sick stuff altogether

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Little Alex

Marmite just isn't for me :D - if that yeast extract tastes along the same lines - so I made it with stuff called Maggi instead.

picture.php?albumid=2062&pictureid=12942

I really liked them and I have enough left for lunch tomorrow. The lime pickle sounds good, too! Must get a jar again soon.

• Advertisement
Advertisement