Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Online Store

Options
  • 05-12-2011 1:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭

Hi guys,

I often read this forum out of interest and i have been inspired to set up my own business. Without giving too many details away I will tell you were I am.

things taken care of:
    It is a webstore for ireland only.
    I have the supplier of the goods with prices.
    I dont need storage as I wont physically be touching the goods.
    I need to set up my website - have a friend who can help
    I will take care of SEO, keywords etc

Things to take care of:
    I need to host my site. costs?

VAT - I will be selling to irish customers at a diff rate of VAT i will buy for. Do I need a VAT num?

I am in the process of registering with the CRO so I can get a .ie web address but at the moment I dont know what address to put down. 1. because I dont live in Ireland at the moment (moving back in a couple of weeks). 2. I dont own any property in Ireland. I would be moving back in with my parents. (Im 22 btw. )

So can I put down my parents address as the company address or will there be some backlash for them if things go wrong?

Would this address have to be put up on the website? i would prefer it not too.

am I missing anything else to set up an online store?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭ImDave

You only need to register for VAT if you anticipate your sales reaching the limits defined by Revenue, which can be found along with all relevant details on their website. You may however elect to become a taxable person if you so wish, but you need to look at your inputs and outputs from a VAT perspective before making this decision. There are people here on Boards that would know a lot more about this than I would and may be able to help you out.

I assume you are registering as a Sole Trader (Registration of a Business Name) rather than a Limited Company. If you are using your parents address then the requirements are no where near as strict with regard to location etc as it would be with a Limited Compay.

With regard to your online store, I would recommend looking into a managed solution such as Volusion. I have used them for a client and find it very effective, easy to use (both back-end and front-end) and it can be setup relatively cheaply and quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭YouBuyLocal

Don't set up a website at the start, test the market with a facebook shop, vendorshopsocial.com, or by Donedeal if suitable, or any number of online market places like Ebay or whatever.

Or set up a shopify site...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭ToTheSea:

@imDave Yeah Im registering as an individual. I just registered there on CORE and I have to send in my document with €20 tomorrow. I had a look at volusion and it looks ideal really. im just wondering what package would be best.

@YouBuyLocal very good idea actually! I dont know if my product is right for facebook or ebay though. I dont think you would trust somewhere like that selling what I sell. Only reason is I need to look like I have high quality, professional, and trustworthy product.
    Now, thats not to say i wont have a look. its my project now for tonight. Hope I can be proven wrong because it would prob save me some money.

Really appreciate the feedback as well. I'll keep you updated.

Advertisement