Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General PS3 Exploits/Hacks/Firmware Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭senorwipesalot

Today, zadow28 has shared a lot of great information with the scene. A little birdie told him that *.a files are infact elf files packed. This may not mean anything currently for the end user, but to scene developers this could open new doors. Basically, this could mean big things for the scene, but only time will tell.

http://psx-scene.com/forums/content/doors-opened-again-could-4-11-unlocked-2088/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Today, zadow28 has shared a lot of great information with the scene. A little birdie told him that *.a files are infact elf files packed. This may not mean anything currently for the end user, but to scene developers this could open new doors. Basically, this could mean big things for the scene, but only time will tell.

http://psx-scene.com/forums/content/doors-opened-again-could-4-11-unlocked-2088/

Yeah I seen this earlier, he tweeted some keys too. I've no idea what they are or what they mean.

Yet another 'could be the next big thing' PS3 story. Yawn. I'll pay attention when money is put where mouths are.

Edit - PS3 homebrew is mostly all about piracy now anyway. They've had a completely open 3.55 for a year, that they can fake sign pkg's on, & what have we got? Manager themes, ports of Doom, some basic emulators. Nothing actually useful that actually works well. Nothing I can think of! It's just a case now of, "plz l33t h@x0r5, hak 4.11 so we cn ply de latezt g@mes fugg S0NY u l@m3wads" type bollox.

I actually couldn't care less if 4.11 gets hacked, honestly.

EnterNow wrote: »
    Yeah I seen this earlier, he tweeted some keys too. I've no idea what they are or what they mean.

Yet another 'could be the next big thing' PS3 story. Yawn. I'll pay attention when money is put where mouths are.

Edit - PS3 homebrew is mostly all about piracy now anyway. They've had a completely open 3.55 for a year, that they can fake sign pkg's on, & what have we got? Manager themes, ports of Doom, some basic emulators. Nothing actually useful that actually works well. Nothing I can think of! It's just a case now of, "plz l33t h@x0r5, hak 4.11 so we cn ply de latezt g@mes fugg S0NY u l@m3wads" type bollox.

I actually couldn't care less if 4.11 gets hacked, honestly.
    Have to disagree with you on this one EnterNow.
    OK forgetting about the piracy.

Its worth staying on 3.55 for Showtime alone with its brilliant Muzo and Youtube plugins and also the ability to stream HD movies from p.c. with Tversity and ps3 media server.

Have to disagree with you on this one EnterNow.
    OK forgetting about the piracy.

Its worth staying on 3.55 for Showtime alone with its brilliant Muzo and Youtube plugins and also the ability to stream HD movies from p.c. with Tversity and ps3 media server.

Granted Showtime seems to be a nice piece of kit. But give me OFW with Netlix over CFW with youtube any day of the week.

Streaming is nice too, but you don't need a hacked console for that. Where's the equivalent to FSD? With an open console on 3.55, there should be loads more choice for homebrew. It's clear all the talented devs have no interest in it

RUMOR - A New Type of PS3 Hack Coming This Year, PS3 Drive Emulation!

Apparenlty, there is a report that a Drive Emulation hack will be available later this year; without the need of CFW or a dongle. It seems some new team has cracked Sony's PCB, and will be able to clone it along with adding the ability to play backups similar to the Wasabi360 or Xkey for the Xbox360. It is said they are keeping the project as secret as possible until they are able to release it, as to not give Sony(PlayStation) the opportunity to patch the exploit

http://psx-scene.com/forums/content/rumor-new-type-ps3-hack-coming-year-ps3-drive-emulation-2194/

• Advertisement

Yeah I seen this on PS3 news a few days ago, doesn't really help the 'homebrew' cause much though - it's a blatant piracy tool if real, with it's only function being able to run games off of an external hdd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭downwithpeace

Information and source seem to be a bit iffy so it could be nothing, besides, if Sony are planning a new console then even if this was released it wouldn't have a long life.

Yeah the sources don't look to reputable, but nobody had heard of the True Blue team either & look at them now.

If real, this could easily be another giant waste of money for those involved. At least, logging into PSN should easily allow Sony to nullify this.

Good point on True Blue and it could turn out to be the final winner or at least top of the clones.

Ugh, PSN returns to 3.55 for the moment - http://psx-scene.com/forums/content/4-11-version-spoofer-2-2-3-55-only-rebug-update-package-0-7-3-55-2-psn-access-returns-cfw-3-55-2267/

Brace yourselves to be called cheating thieves once again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,877 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

What use is that? Surely you'll still have to update the game to the updated version, which will block it anyway? Or is there a patch u can get?

The_B_Man wrote: »
    What use is that? Surely you'll still have to update the game to the updated version, which will block it anyway? Or is there a patch u can get?

I've no idea, I don't use multiplayer of any kind so wouldn't know. I presume there's a whole sleuth of DLC you can buy maybe? I've no idea, I just know it used to p1ss off legit games over cheating in games etc, but I suppose your right in that most games should surely be updated to newer versions by now?

I gave it a go there. I was able to sign in to my PSN account for the first time since I stuck on kmeaw 3.55 but when I put in my MW2 disc, it asked me to update to v1.13 of the game. After that, when I try launch the disc, it gives me the error: "An error occurred during the start operation. (80010017)" so looks like something is still up.

I'm a n00b when it comes to this stuff. Is there anything else I need to do here to get by that error? Would love to see what all the fuss is about. Never played MW2 online on this PS3.
    Cheers.

I gave it a go there. I was able to sign in to my PSN account for the first time since I stuck on kmeaw 3.55 but when I put in my MW2 disc, it asked me to update to v1.13 of the game. After that, when I try launch the disc, it gives me the error: "An error occurred during the start operation. (80010017)" so looks like something is still up.

I'm a n00b when it comes to this stuff. Is there anything else I need to do here to get by that error? Would love to see what all the fuss is about. Never played MW2 online on this PS3.
    Cheers.

As far as I know, the newer game updates will have been resigned so won't work with 3.55. You'll have to uninstall the game data & reinstall to get it back working. I don't think many games will still be on the same executable they were on during the 3.55 days, so for online gaming this is probably largely useless.

ah right, thats' a pity. May just update it to OFW so. I've another PS3 with a broken bluray player that I might just keep for use with CFW.

ah right, thats' a pity. May just update it to OFW so. I've another PS3 with a broken bluray player that I might just keep for use with CFW.

Make sure it's not the logic board thats faulty, or else it won't install any firmware. Actually I think there's a way around that now, not too sure though. I'd quicker fix the broken one & use that for PSN, & keep your cfw as is to be sure

Nah its not the logic board. Its the laser. Actually, the problem is the little yellow skinny wire that goes into the side of the logic board snapped when I was messing with it. I actually have 3.55 kmeaw on it already.

so I've one fully working 3.55 PS3 and one with a faulty laser on 3.55 kmeaw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

some interesting "developments" from the E3 team

a post for educational purposes :)

Official Statement from E3 TEAM

Few days ago, there was news posted on various websites that we had cloned JB2 (aka) ‘True Blue’ successfully.
    We clarify we did not clone any other product, but we did find the ways on how to allow the newer games to work on CFW v3.55.

Our research has found 3 different ways to allow newer games to work on older firmwares!

A way:
    No need of any new keys, but allows SOME new games to work on CFW v3.55 with a special bypass.
    We think the USB device on market uses this system. (Maybe)
    With this method, most games even v4.11 games can run on CFW v3.55 very easily.
    But there has some games that can’t work with this A way.
    E3 TEAM knows this A way very well and can modify a newer v3.6+ game in 10 min.

B way:
    Decrypt games with it’s private key and encrypt with v3.55 key, so game can run on CFW v3.55 successfully.
    For example, you need v3.65 key to decrypt v3.65 game. Need v4.11 key to decrypt v4.11 game.
    E3 Team can successfully get all newer keys up to v4.11.
    We are 100% sure we can get all keys to v4.20 or higher FW with same way, only it takes some more time.
    This means, E3 TEAM can decrypt all newer games with this B way.
    As a matter of a fact, we are planning a newer CFW (no more need to be stuck on v3.55) when we have completed our research.

C way:
    Modify Blu-Ray firmware to allow newer games to run on older firmware.
    But only a few of the newer games can work with this C way, so we stopped researching this method.

We are in the progress of developing a new USB device, to allow users to enjoy our work with economical cost.

We will release further news and list of its features regarding this new product at a later date.

Finally, to thank all of users whom have supported us in the past with our previous products, like the E3 Card Reader and E3 Flasher,

PS: Unfortunately the latest Slim 3000x consoles can’t work currently with methods mentioned above, as it is fully difference design compared to the older PS3 consoles, but have no fear we are still working hard on solving this Jailbreak puzzle.

Remember our current product, The E3 Flasher is also very useful for Dual-Boot and to downgrade on older consoles, as for now we need to still stay on CFW v3.55.

Below is links to our proof videos to show our work. First we run Ninja Gaiden 3 using the A way and then second we run Splinter Cell Trilogy HD with B way, which no matter how hard you have tried the A way it will never run.

B way:
    Decrypt games with it’s private key and encrypt with v3.55 key, so game can run on CFW v3.55 successfully.
    For example, you need v3.65 key to decrypt v3.65 game. Need v4.11 key to decrypt v4.11 game.
    E3 Team can successfully get all newer keys up to v4.11.
    We are 100% sure we can get all keys to v4.20 or higher FW with same way, only it takes some more time.
    This means, E3 TEAM can decrypt all newer games with this B way.
    As a matter of a fact, we are planning a newer CFW (no more need to be stuck on v3.55) when we have completed our research.

I find this extremely unlikely. They'd need the private signing keys to resign the game executable...& those keys are only known by Sony...they're not even inside the PS3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

ps3 3.60 keys now in the wild, expect 3.60 cfw soon :)

• Advertisement

Stuxnet wrote: »
    ps3 3.60 keys now in the wild, expect 3.60 cfw soon :)

Really? The private signing key?? Is this the big E3 announcement from the other day?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

I like the sound of hardwareless downgrades.
    Q: recently 3.60 keys surfaced (lv1ldr, lv2ldr, isoldr, appldr), what does this mean for this release and the future?
    A: That is actually a multiparted answer:

* now that several binairies (Iso module + CoreOSminus the loaders that are inside lv0) can be decrypted, more investigation can be done in them, which give a new boost in (unrelated to the HeN) other targets, like:
    o Hardwareless downgrades : Downgrading with PSgrade Dongle (lv1.self)
    o QA Flagging / systemtokens (spu_token_processor.self) and usertokens (spu_utoken_processor.self)
    o PS2 compatibility (mc_iso_spu_module.self , me_iso_for_ps2emu.self , sv_iso_for_ps2emu.self)
    o Getting per_console_root_key_1 / EID_root_key on 3.56+/slim3K (lv1.self , aim_spu_module.self)
    o Backsigning applications for <=3.55 and patch sys_proc_param_version (appldr.self , lv2_kernel.self)

Q: So does this mean a future release would be sooner?
    A: Only God knows ;) But it can also be that because of the above, it would become meaningless/surpassed by better progress. So lets all hope for the best :)

Ste- wrote: »
    I like the sound of hardwareless downgrades.

Ah yes the PS3 'homebrew' scene. Promises, talk & a lot of disappointment is the order of the day.

I've been out of it for so long now I've lost interest in it. I see a long of CEX to DEX talk lately though, which is converting your retail console into a debug/test console...which allows the playing of 3.56+ games on 3.55 firmware if I understand it right, but there's a lot of fiddling about to play them, converting, patching & using dev tools I think.

I suppose though, if this cuts into the profits of thieves like True Blue etc then I'm all for it.

I've not used my PS3 in a very long time but I would love to see a .pup bullet to the heart of cash dongles.

I've not used my PS3 in a very long time but I would love to see a .pup bullet to the heart of cash dongles.

Same here, the work those dongles do is all do-able by software. Not a single one of them contain hardware that enables the PS3 to do something outside of what a pup can make it do...it's all drm.

Whats worse, it's drm built on the work of people who wanted only wanted to improve the scene, not commercialize it.

And still to this day despite having a 3.55 Kmeaw 60GB launch model, I've no interest whatsoever in even turning it on. The DEX work nor a 3.60 CFW would change that either. I dunno why, but I really find it a sterile lump of plastic.

Ye I can't imagine that, even if a CFW 3.60 comes out, it'll have that drastic of an effect!

From all I can see, the only advantage is you can play a few more games that require 3.6+ to run. You still won't be able to play online.

Ye I can't imagine that, even if a CFW 3.60 comes out, it'll have that drastic of an effect!

From all I can see, the only advantage is you can play a few more games that require 3.6+ to run. You still won't be able to play online.

Yeah apart from the 60+ extra games, it's completely pointless as we can resign those games now for 3.55 anyway. I think if a 3.60 cfw arrives, I'll happily leave mine on 3.55. There's just no point.

The only positive I can see of it, is it'll enable some ps3's to run cfw where they couldn't before as certain sku's of recent models doesn't support <3.60

PS2 games can be run on PS3 Phat/Slim from factory mode.

http://psx-scene.com/forums/content/ps2-emulator-working-cfw-3-55-fat-slim-2480/

Limitations will apply given the age of the Firmware used to read the PS2 games but it's another shot at dongles.

PS2 games can be run on PS3 Phat/Slim from factory mode.

http://psx-scene.com/forums/content/ps2-emulator-working-cfw-3-55-fat-slim-2480/

Limitations will apply given the age of the Firmware used to read the PS2 games but it's another shot at dongles.

Now thats the kind of improvement I expect in an exploited console :cool: I'll wait until it gets better though & hopefully having to use factory mode won't be permanent.

Does all the other homebrew & managers run under factory mode?

Also, if the PS3 is capable of doing this...why havn't Sony made it a feature? It instantly makes the console better.

• Advertisement

EnterNow wrote: »
    Now thats the kind of improvement I expect in an exploited console :cool: I'll wait until it gets better though & hopefully having to use factory mode won't be permanent.

Does all the other homebrew & managers run under factory mode?

Also, if the PS3 is capable of doing this...why havn't Sony made it a feature? It instantly makes the console better.

I gave all my PS2 games away with my PS2 so can't test it but if I spot FFX going cheap and can get it then and there I might be tempted to try.

3.55 stuff works normally but I've never looked at newer signed applications so not sure to about factory mode.

My guess is updates and compatibility, Sony stopped the backwards compatibility which was only emulation on European machines so this might be what that is.

Advertisement