Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General PS3 Exploits/Hacks/Firmware Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,239 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Yeah I was tempted by the newer firmware but I have a few things that will only work with 3.55 so once I've fixed them I'll will update to the latest Rogero custom firmware. Also I hear its better to be on this firmware for drive swaps.

You can't easily is the short story... long story is that it requires soldering etc (check previous page). You would need the PS3 to be on version 3.55 or lower before you can use CFW.
    What are the things that won't work with the new CFW? You can resign your own apps pretty easilly.

Also I wouldn't worry about bricks team Rogero and Rebug test their stuff completely with loads of different volunteers with different models of PS3 to make sure that they're not going to brick anything. I wouldn't worry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭downwithpeace

EnterNow wrote: »
    Whats this about them bricking, was it in the early days of 3.55cfw or something?

Yeah, Wannioko's had more of a chance of bricking the 60GB then it did working.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭balkieb2002

Achilles wrote: »
    What are the things that won't work with the new CFW? You can resign your own apps pretty easilly.

Also I wouldn't worry about bricks team Rogero and Rebug test their stuff completely with loads of different volunteers with different models of PS3 to make sure that they're not going to brick anything. I wouldn't worry.

I made a mistake and should fine to moving everything up to work on 4.30 CFW. I am actually going to do the HD upgrade this evening but I'm still not sure wether to leave it on 3.55 or change to higher CFW.

I think my main reason for leaving it on 3.55 was I'm so used to that firmware i.e. I know what to expect and how everything works. What is the main advantages of moving onto the newer firmware? Online/PSN usage? More games compatabilty (with newer games especially)?

I suppose I could always change over now and then downgrade at a later date.

A little update on the above.

Fully ready to go to 4.30, have all the required files downloaded and everything prepared once I install the new HDD. Unfortunately this is where I ran into my first problem and I'm still at that stage 2hrs later. You might think it's getting the new firmware on the PS3 HDD or something similar but no its actually getting the fecking hard drive into the machine!! Why in gods name did Sony decide to screw the hard drive in with some of the worst screws in the world and as then make them as tight as possible.

I had the perfect sized philips screw driver but that first blue screw (BSOD) made crap of it. Eventually got that out screw using a pliers only to find 4 even worse screws which are housing the old HDD. Using the pliers I managed to get 1 out but even that nots working for other 3 screws.

Sorry for the rant (extra post) but this thing is driving me crazy!! I hate you Sony :(

Edit: I finally got those bástard screws out using a pliers and a hammer (i kid you not) and amazingly managed to get the hard drive cradle back into the PS3 (minus 2 screws). A quick format and by following this very easy to follow guide I am now successfully running Rogero 4.30 CFW on my new 500GB HDD :D

The whole process took a little over 5hrs :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Well done! What is it about those screws are they just tiny or really tight?

• Advertisement

Well done! What is it about those screws are they just tiny or really tight?

Cheers mate.

A bit of both. They are small enough but also very flat. You seem to need a perfect sized screw driver to get them out (which I obviously didn't have). The machine that Sony uses seems to just put them in really, really tightly and then they strip really easily which makes things even harder hence my use of pliers. On the newer slim machines they have made things easier apparently.

I thought I was going crazy or doing something wrong as I'm used enough to taking things apart but a quick google showed that many other people were in the same boat as me.

Mine weren't that tight... you must not have been using the right sized screw bit or for some reason they were unusually tight for you.

Yeah make sure you upgrade the drive BEFORE upgrading the hard drive. The benefits are: PSN usage, compatibility with newer games pretty much everything you have mentioned.

Mine weren't that tight... you must not have been using the right sized screw bit or for some reason they were unusually tight for you.

Yeah I've seen reports of other people without any issues, I was using the incorrect screwdriver for the blue screw but it was the right one for the inner screws as I managed to one out normally with a little help from the pliers. I think they were just ultra tight from sitting there for 6-7 years ;)
    Yeah make sure you upgrade the drive BEFORE upgrading the hard drive.

Umm I've already done but did it the other way around.
    • Performed the HDD upgrade
    • Installed OFW 3.55
    • Installed Rogero 3.55
    • Installed specific packages (Multiman, QA Toggle)
    • Performed Nand Backup
    • Installed Rogero 4.30
    Tested a couple of backups and everything working OK

Why did you recommend the other way around?

Yeah I've seen reports of other people without any issues, I was using the incorrect screwdriver for the blue screw but it was the right one for the inner screws as I managed to one out normally with a little help from the pliers. I think they were just ultra tight from sitting there for 6-7 years ;)

Umm I've already done but did it the other way around.
    • Performed the HDD upgrade
    • Installed OFW 3.55
    • Installed Rogero 3.55
    • Installed specific packages (Multiman, QA Toggle)
    • Performed Nand Backup
    • Installed Rogero 4.30
    Tested a couple of backups and everything working OK

Why did you recommend the other way around?
    I typed that out arseways... I meant to say make sure you upgrade the drive before you upgrade the firmware. You don't want to end up like me having to install a downgraded OS and then trying to figure out how to enable the QA flat to reinstall OFW and... jesus yeah that's not something I want to have to do again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭M00lers

Quick question lads, I have a PS3 with Kmeaw 3.55 installed (hasn't been powered on in over a year :rolleyes:) and I remember at one stage you could get on PSN after swapping out some certificate files (CA27 IIRC), I'm not sure if I still have the original files backed up anywhere. :(

Will this hamper any attempts to get up and running on the latest CFW?

I'm not bothered about getting on PSN as I don't think a hacked/JB PS3 should be, but would like to get CFW 4.30 running.

Thanks,
    Moo

• Advertisement

Quick question lads, I have a PS3 with Kmeaw 3.55 installed (hasn't been powered on in over a year :rolleyes:) and I remember at one stage you could get on PSN after swapping out some certificate files (CA27 IIRC), I'm not sure if I still have the original files backed up anywhere. :(

Will this hamper any attempts to get up and running on the latest CFW?

I'm not bothered about getting on PSN as I don't think a hacked/JB PS3 should be, but would like to get CFW 4.30 running.

Thanks,
    Moo

Nah you should be fine...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭M00lers

Prove it with a video......:p

Cheers Achilles, fairly emphatic answer there. Not that it matters but will PSN access be a problem?

Prove it with a video......:p

Cheers Achilles, fairly emphatic answer there. Not that it matters but will PSN access be a problem?

Yeah I'm not doing that again. I just did that to shut that arsehole up really...

Anyway PSN access should be fine after the upgrade. I'm hapilly working away on PSN with the latest Rogero 4.30 firmware anyway.

Yeah I'm not doing that again. I just did that to shut that arsehole up really..

Personal abuse is against site policy Achillies, keep it clean man.

Personal abuse is against site policy Achillies, keep it clean man.

Who's Achillies? :P

Fine then... I just did that to shut that fine upstanding member of society up. :-)

Who's Achillies? :P

Yet another boards member I've been pronouncing wrong in my head!

Yet another boards member I've been pronouncing wrong in my head!

Don't worry about it EnterNoob, it's fine. :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭sham69

Im running a 60 gb on Rogero 4.30 but Netflix, Streaming or PSN won't work.
    I think I swapped a 500gb internal in, updated the console , installed rogero .
    I kind of rushed it as I only got my console back after a year (getting fixed, long story)
    Is there any way to get Netflix and PSN working.
    I will post the error when I get home.

Most games run fine but there are a handful that don't

sham69 wrote: »
    Im running a 60 gb on Rogero 4.30 but Netflix, Streaming or PSN won't work.
    I think I swapped a 500gb internal in, updated the console , installed rogero .
    I kind of rushed it as I only got my console back after a year (getting fixed, long story)
    Is there any way to get Netflix and PSN working.
    I will post the error when I get home.

Most games run fine but there are a handful that don't

Did you update to 4.30 from Kmeaw (or other CFW) or from the offical 3.55 FW? I used that guide I linked to on previous page and haven't had any issues.

I haven't gone online though since changing over to 4.30 (and don't really intend to unless to update games) but maybe Achill(i)es can help you as he's on same version. From what I've read you should be able to get onto PSN on Rogero latest version, so streaming shouldn't be an issue either.

Regarding games/backups not working have you applied any eboot fixes previously to get them working on the older firmware. I had that issue too but by replacing the changed files with the original files I've sorted that and have all my games working so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭senorwipesalot

Netflix and psn working fine for me on Rogero 4.30 ,v2.
    Seems the only people getting banned on cfw from psn are cheats in COD.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭sham69

It was from official 3.55 to Rogero.
    The system was actually on 3.41 when I got it back.
    Got a bit confused with the patches/eboot fixes, not sure what version I am looking for?

Sorry been out of this scene for a while so playing catchup.
    Thanks for the reply.

Did you update to 4.30 from Kmeaw (or other CFW) or from the offical 3.55 FW? I used that guide I linked to on previous page and haven't had any issues.

I haven't gone online though since changing over to 4.30 (and don't really intend to unless to update games) but maybe Achill(i)es can help you as he's on same version. From what I've read you should be able to get onto PSN on Rogero latest version, so streaming shouldn't be an issue either.

Regarding games/backups not working have you applied any eboot fixes previously to get them working on the older firmware. I had that issue too but by replacing the changed files with the original files I've sorted that and have all my games working so far.

sham69 wrote: »
    It was from official 3.55 to Rogero.
    The system was actually on 3.41 when I got it back.
    Got a bit confused with the patches/eboot fixes, not sure what version I am looking for?

Sorry been out of this scene for a while so playing catchup.
    Thanks for the reply.

Yeah I've only recently got back into the PS3 recently myself.

Before when a game came out that required a higher firmware then the custom firmware you were on (be it 3.41 or 3.55) you would need to patch the game/eboot to make it work on a lower firmware.

Now that your on version 4.30 nearly all games will work straight out of the box without any patches required (a great advantage on the newer firmware). If you are trying to use a game though that you had patched previously to work on an older CFW then afaik they will no longer work on the newer firmware so you will no replace the changed files with the original files. You can create fresh backups from the orginal cd or alternatively if you google something like "original eboots ps3" you will find loads of different places to grab these files.

Just to remind everyone that discussion on how to run backups isn't permitted as per the charter, eboots etc verge into real grey area territory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 274 ✭✭ufc pro

so just to get this straight,only real advantage is playing later games and p*n, do all the latest titles work? and how hard is the downgrade?
    i hear the old games that you would have patched that dont work you just need to enter settings of that game and set permissions and they work perfect, just a bit freaked that if i go up i wont be able to gt back down if i need to, ill have to dust off the old 3.55 machine and try this, lucky too was considering selling it, happy days and thanks to the guys that made this possible!

sorry just read the above!
    apologies!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭barry181091

Hey guys,

I've an old 60gb PS3, CECHC03. I want to downgrade it so I can install CFW. I have been researching and it seems I need a Progskeet as it has a nand chip.

Does anyone know where I can buy a complete kit online? (Including clip as id prefer not to solder.) Or if anyone does it to PS3s in Ireland.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

hummm been reading up on this across diff forums last few days, the blu ray is busted on my 60gb ps3, looking at homebrew to rectify a few issues i have. any guides on how to set things up, start to finish, correct files I need etc, its all a mess of version numbers and compatibility :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 274 ✭✭ufc pro

hummm been reading up on this across diff forums last few days, the blu ray is busted on my 60gb ps3, looking at homebrew to rectify a few issues i have. any guides on how to set things up, start to finish, correct files I need etc, its all a mess of version numbers and compatibility :(

what firmware are you currently on? i know of a guy in glenegeary that can downgrade your ps3 if its compatible!

• Site Banned Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Andy!!

Hmm maybe here is a better place to ask for some PS3 help, names in the title :P

Just tried to put a 500GB drive in my PS3. The 320 is shipped with works fine, I make a backup on a USB that is recognised by the PS3 with the 320 in. I put the 500GB in, and the USB with the backup and to be safe, a 4.25 .PUP, but none of that seems to be what the PS3 wants. I press start and select but it says it can't find any related files.

EDIT: Never mind, I didn't put the .PUP in a PS3/UPDATE/ folder, that was the issue. Herp derp, see what a bit of googling does? :P

Now I have over 400GB's over usable space, woot!

Going to try and risk that 4.25 CFW now.

Enter, if it does turn out to be just a re-packed OFW, whatever that means, are there any risks?

Andy!! wrote: »
    Enter, if it does turn out to be just a re-packed OFW, whatever that means, are there any risks?

No risks I'm aware of man, I'd be letting other people guinea pig it first though

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Andy!!

Hmm ok. :P What are your usual channels for PS4 CFW news/forums btw?

Advertisement