Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CESS Degree in UCD no more from 2012

Options
  • 05-12-2011 1:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭

For any budding meteorologist who had aspirations of doing this degree in UCD... well unfortunately it won't be offered in 2012. As far as I know the Msc in Meteorology is not affected.

Looks like the general science degree for me now...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Hey , thats the course i was in.

See... it was 40% Geology , 40% Maths/physics ... and only 20% weather.

Geology split away and is now a full course.
    BUt Mathematical science is there now too so , that would probably be the best option to do. Or physics .

I reverted bac to doin Maths now in DIT as i know how much i needed it for that course . ALot of people even had applied maths under their belt ( not mentioning certain posh schools! ) which made life a hell of alot easier for them.

But ye ... hoping to finish Maths in DIT and then go do MSc in Meteorology :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭esposito

Yeah, Mr Peter Lynch said one of the reasons why it was scrapped was because a lot of the students were finding the maths too hard... I better brush up on my maths, maybe I should get grinds.... How you finding the maths in DIT?? Difficult?

Yeah, I might look into mathematical science but I was kinda thinking general science to keep my options open. We'll see...

esposito wrote: »
    Yeah, Mr Peter Lynch said one of the reasons why it was scrapped was because a lot of the students were finding the maths too hard... I better brush up on my maths, maybe I should get grinds.... How you finding the maths in DIT?? Difficult?

Yeah, I might look into mathematical science but I was kinda thinking general science to keep my options open. We'll see...

Ye thats where all of us had troubles with bar those left in the course.
    Higher Level Maths Plus Higher LEvel Apllied Maths Would have been needed.

Im doing Maths Part Time in DIT , its grand because its easy going but its longer because of that. 3 more years for me to get a degree to be able to apply for the Masters . Didnt exactly hav the money to go apply for a full time course again. BUt im happy with it ! :)

Id say that probably be a good idea. The Mathematical Science would be definitely as difficult as the CESS stuff. BUt ye, the more maths your doing now the better.

Heres the Stage 1. Modules for Math. Science.

Core
    Code Title Semester Credit
    ACM10060 Intro to Appl & Com Mathematic Semester Two 5
    MATH10300 Calculus in the Math. Sciences Semester Two 5
    SCI10010 Principles of Scientific Enquiry Semester One 5

Options

Select A)MIN0OF: [Show Rule Details]
    ACM00020 Applied Maths: Methods & Appli Semester One 5

Select B)MIN0OF: [Show Rule Details]
    MATH10040 Numbers & Functions Semester One 5
    MATH10320 Mathematical Analysis Semester Two 5
    STAT10050 Intro to Statistical Modelling Semester One 5
    STAT10060 Statistical Modelling Semester Two 5

I done 2 on that list.

The 2 that were tough when i was there ( not on list )was Intro to Mechanics and Intro to Special Relativity. I wouldnt imagine the 2nd one would be on the course at 1st year as its physics pretty much but ye.

That stage doesnt seem That bad to be honest. :)

Thanks for that man :)

Yeah, I'm kinda steering towards math science now. But that could change as I'm known to change my mind a lot haha.

Good to know there wasn't too much weather involved in CESS. Dosen't make its loss seem so bad now:)

esposito wrote: »
    Thanks for that man :)

Yeah, I'm kinda steering towards math science now. But that could change as I'm known to change my mind a lot haha.

Good to know there wasn't too much weather involved in CESS. Dosen't make its loss seem so bad now:)

If they are still running the actual modules ( Intro. to Meteorology , Intro to Climatology ) you could still do them as electives . :)

For all you know you could be seeing me back there eventually ! ha

• Advertisement

Iancar29 wrote: »
    If they are still running the actual modules ( Intro. to Meteorology , Intro to Climatology ) you could still do them as electives . :)

For all you know you could be seeing me back there eventually ! ha

I'd look forward to it.. having somebody to talk to about snow during winter and thunderstorms during spring/autumn every day would be great! haha

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭beardedmaster

As far as I know, the main reason why it was scrapped, is because the fella that's in charge of it is retiring.

I heard that from a friend of mine who's a present 2nd year in the course, who actually is gonna transfer to pure Geology if he can, because he says he has much more of an interest in it.

As far as I know, the main reason why it was scrapped, is because the fella that's in charge of it is retiring.

I heard that from a friend of mine who's a present 2nd year in the course, who actually is gonna transfer to pure Geology if he can, because he says he has much more of an interest in it.

Possibly so but the other reason I was given, was that future staffing levels are under review and it is uncertain whether they will have sufficient staff resources to deliver the programme.

Ye i heard Peter was retiring too.

Well deserves it though. Hes a great man!

My 2 friends are finishing their last year in it currently. Crazy though,i dont neither of them are goin into meteorology for post grad! Geology of what i know.

Iancar29 wrote: »
    Ye i heard Peter was retiring too.

Well deserves it though. Hes a great man!

My 2 friends are finishing their last year in it currently. Crazy though,i dont neither of them are goin into meteorology for post grad! Geology of what i know.

That makes me sad :( He seems like a bit of a character. I'm sure lots of people will miss him.

Iancar, tell your friends to get their act together:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement