Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chap collecting for cancer society

• 05-12-2011 1:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭

Im sure we've all seen this guy...yellow bib...yellow baseball cap. Tall chap always collects for the cancer society.

He seems to be at this full time for a good few years...and not only in Waterford.

How much would you say he gets? Or am I being too cynical?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

not cynical at all. The truth is a lot of people get paid to do this, i dont give any money ever to any people on the street being too forceful. The little sisters of the poor sister who sits there with quiet dignity, i do give some cash too. Those other charities (like one you said, asthma etc) have massive admin costs. Only a mug gives to them.

PS im not mean, i just disagree with all that bull in your face. I have regular charities that i do give to.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,574 ✭✭✭blue note

Max Powers wrote: »
    not cynical at all. The truth is a lot of people get paid to do this, i dont give any money ever to any people on the street being too forceful. The little sisters of the poor sister who sits there with quiet dignity, i do give some cash too. Those other charities (like one you said, asthma etc) have massive admin costs. Only a mug gives to them.

PS im not mean, i just disagree with all that bull in your face. I have regular charities that i do give to.

You're right Max. I tend to just give directly to the homeless guys. People say "they're just going to buy beer with it". I say "that's what I'd have done with it anyway - good luck to him!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 935 ✭✭✭giles lynchwood

Im sure we've all seen this guy...yellow bib...yellow baseball cap. Tall chap always collects for the cancer society.

He seems to be at this full time for a good few years...and not only in Waterford.

None of your business.
    How much do you get paid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Well you see there's a difference. A lot of people believe that that these collectors are volunteers. I seem to have offended you Giles. Which charity do you collect for?

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭chelloveks

Well you see there's a difference. A lot of people believe that that these collectors are volunteers. I seem to have offended you Giles. Which charity do you collect for?

Ahhhh no bother....he's probably French with a name like Gilles....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

If this is the guy who was outside Peter Marks with the little table, I reported him to the police as I had suspicions.

About 2 years ago, I gave money for a cancer charity one day, he took the money and pressed a little metal hurley into my hand. I thought it was wierd.

His bib said caner charity but his table mentioned the homeless.

I rang the police station, but never heard anything else about it and I saw him there a few times afterwards so presumed he was OK.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭jayboi

Id sooner give him a knee in the sack.
    I've seen him litter countless times last time he was getting off the bus took the last fag out of the box and crumpled it in his fist, looked at it, then droped it on the ground

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

The WLRFM Lions appeal were out at Tesco ardkeen the other day. They had 3 tables set up right in front of the re-cycling banks.

Went over and started dumping me cans and one of them walks over and says 'can I help you with that' ....well whatever chance he had of getting some doh off me he had only 2 after that. None & FA.

Have they no kop on and he was no spring chicken.

danjo-xx wrote: »
    The WLRFM Lions appeal were out at Tesco ardkeen the other day. They had 3 tables set up right in front of the re-cycling banks.

Went over and started dumping me cans and one of them walks over and says 'can I help you with that' ....well whatever chance he had of getting some doh off me he had only 2 after that. None & FA.

Have they no kop on and he was no spring chicken.
    Thats right up ther with that time i was buying my shopping my in dunnes and some little girl just started putting my shopping in my bags for me I was outraged, still havnt gone back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭SillyMcCarthy

jayboi wrote: »
    Thats right up ther with that time i was buying my shopping my in dunnes and some little girl just started putting my shopping in my bags for me I was outraged, still havnt gone back

Unfortunately these children are fund raising for the particular
    club that they are involved in! If you would rather they didn't
    just say so but don't bark at them!

• Advertisement

Unfortunately these children are fund raising for the particular
    club that they are involved in! If you would rather they didn't
    just say so but don't bark at them!
    Got one! must be a five footer

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭billythepig

we were talking about this in the pub the other night and one of the lads was telling me about the fellas selling rehab scratchcards for 3 quid a pop are on 1.50 for each one, and after everyone else takes their cut, the charity only ends up with around 30 cent,
    some fecking scam, they will get fcuk all off me in future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

I don't know about him, but the going rate for chuggers is about €14/hr. Type in Amnesty International into Monster.ie every now and then.

Of course plenty of charity collectors are good decent people who do it for free. I hate chuggers for giving the good guys a bad rep.

This is interesting (though not a chugger, a chugger manager).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

That "support Irish cancer society" lad wrecks my head. Also seen him smoking up a few back allys with the yellow jacket many times which I found sorta funny.
    Well at least he is better than the wan that wears the red jacket and says nothing but "support cancer". The amount of times I hear people saying "why would I support cancer?" makes me wonder why she hasn't started saying it right yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

funnily enough i actually know the lad i grew up with him in tramore

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,604 ✭✭✭deisemum

I remember a discussion on one of the national radio stations saying that the charities only get 13c of each euro collected and the 87 cent per euro goes to pay the chuggers and admin etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Heatseeker

jayboi wrote: »

Tesco in Ardkeen is the worst for having children bagging your groceries to raise money for whatever. I always look for a checkout with no child at the end of it, there never seems to be one. But inevitably give in and let them help me bag my groceries and give them money because I'm not going to refuse a child, I know they are probably only there cos their parents/club leaders make them do it...poor things.

What wrecks my head even more is that its usually a sport, GAA, soccar club or scouts... I'm sorry but I'm not happy to pay towards other peoples children to play sport etc. I'll pay for my childrens hobbies... everybody else should do the same

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

deisemum wrote: »
    I remember a discussion on one of the national radio stations saying that the charities only get 13c of each euro collected and the 87 cent per euro goes to pay the chuggers and admin etc.

It varies hugely amongst the charities. For lots of charities over 90% goes to the cause.

As a general rule if the person is trying to catch your eye, and psyching themselves up, and is acting like they are your buddy, then they aren't genuine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭calvin_zola

There is a particular money making spin from some "charities". They sell compitition lines/scratch cards blah blah, usually say 2 euros a line. So you walk past em be they and they are up to you saying "Support our cahrity research" "2€ a line" you are immediatly guilted, ya relise -

"f#ck that Im not giving 2€ for a scratch card I'll win nothing on, but its for charity, I'll just make a donation" and ya throw whatever change is in your pockets be it 45cent,

They thank you and you have your sense of giving and charity back. At the end of their shift they count all the 2 euro scratch cards they've sold, so if they sold 60, they take 120€ out of their bucket, pop it into the charity bank account/safe deposit (as there is a paper trail record for the this money) and all the small change donations are not accounted for, and go into their pockets.

This is the case in some situations, I'm not tarring them all with the same brush, but I've witnessed this first hand. Used to work in an establishment where they used to come into us after coming from the bank to lodge the scratch card money and give us all their change so we could exchange it for notes.

Karma is a bitch though, which they will find out.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Joan brophy

Heatseeker wrote: »
    Tesco in Ardkeen is the worst for having children bagging your groceries to raise money for whatever. I always look for a checkout with no child at the end of it, there never seems to be one. But inevitably give in and let them help me bag my groceries and give them money because I'm not going to refuse a child, I know they are probably only there cos their parents/club leaders make them do it...poor things.

What wrecks my head even more is that its usually a sport, GAA, soccar club or scouts... I'm sorry but I'm not happy to pay towards other peoples children to play sport etc. I'll pay for my childrens hobbies... everybody else should do the same
    I pay for my children to pay sports, ie hurling and badminton but been involved in running a club the costs that go on behind the scene are unreal and many clubs could not run without help from fund raising

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

If you want to give money to a charity, any charity, give it directly to the charity not through these people on the street or people handing out key rings or scratch cards or any other throw away rubbish. How much of your money do you think actually ends up with the charity itself after paying for the person to stand on the street and hand out the key rings or scratch cards which themselves are probably not free to produce?

If I want to give to a charity (Rape Crisis Centre and the Asthma Society, the latter in the hope they'll get the finger out about the classification of asthma as a long-term illness and the price of meds) I just send the money directly to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

Oh what about that hanley centre fella, he's always around too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Only charities I support when shopping are the ones that have their boxes on the counter beside the till. Often wonder are they ever collected :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Originally Posted by Heatseeker

Tell them how you feel.:

https://www.tescocomments.com/
    the store number is 3695.

There's a lot less packers than the last few years, but they drive me mad.

I wont even let the guy in SuperQuinn who had been trained touch my shopping.

I have heard of schools advising their pupils to avoid a supermarket because they wouldn't allow them run a packing day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 219 ✭✭Tangled

Only charities I support when shopping are the ones that have their boxes on the counter beside the till. Often wonder are they ever collected :o
    Yep, they are and the charities generally send a letter back to the shop to say how much was in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Heatseeker wrote: »

agree with you that people at end of till bagging wreck my head also. Just one point on the other kids charities and should be their parents paying for them: all these sports clubs are ran by volunteers on a short shoestring, they do amazing work keeping kids off the street and interested in things that will benefit society as a whole. Yes, their parents should contribute most but some are often unable to contribute and the kids and parents do most of the fund raising themselves thru buying tickets, paying subs, referee fees, insurance costs, kit costs, boots, etc etc

On a personal level, im often more than willing to give kids charities a few coins if I have em. I have seen the benefit of these clubs thru my own experience and my nephews and nieces

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭justbored

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,026 ✭✭✭iseegirls

I know there was a discussion about her on this before, but the woman who collects for cancer is definately dodgy. She's completely up in your face anytime ya walk past. I passed by her 3 times today outside the book center and she'd nearly push herself upon ya.

I was going to give her a few pence last year - but i returned later on to see that she was smoking away - even with her coat/jumper on her that has cancer emblazoned on it.

Advertisement