Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Flahavan's Quick Oats Multi-seed

• 05-12-2011 2:14pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭

Spotted the above in Dunne's on special offer, €2 / box of 10 servings. The multi-seed porridge makes a nice change from the regular stuff and at €0.20 + milk / bowl it is hardly an extravagance.

I cook it 50/50 milk & water and mix a few spoons of yogurt through it before serving for yet another change. 2 to 3 minutes total prep time.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,067 ✭✭✭gipi

Got it last week in tesco for the same price (€2), reduced from €2.99 I think.

Agree with you, mathepac, it's rather tasty!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

gipi wrote: »
    Got it last week in tesco for the same price (€2), reduced from €2.99 I think...
    Even better, wide availability, and at the full retail it's still not extravagant. I'm not a great man for the "instants", i'm glad i took the plunge with this one though.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Ambp

mathepac wrote: »
    Even better, wide availability, and at the full retail it's still not extravagant. I'm not a great man for the "instants", i'm glad i took the plunge with this one though.

All the Flahavan's instant porridges are the exact same stuff as the regular, just in different packaging and more expensive. You can cook regular porridge in the microwave - the cooking instructions are even the same on both packets.

The 600g bag is €2.99 in Tesco, and the 10 sachet 400g is €3.29 when not on special offer, so unless you need the individual sachets you're always better off going for the bag. This applies to the microwave 'quick oats' in the tube packaging too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Ambp wrote: »
    All the Flahavan's instant porridges are the exact same stuff as the regular, just in different packaging and more expensive.
    I think some of the instants are a little more processed so they absorb it liquid better, like floured or steamed more. Regular oat flakes are rolled and steamed so they absorb faster than old school pinhead oats.

A trick is to leave the regular oats in a bowl in the fridge overnight with your water/milk, this should microwave a bit better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 365 ✭✭hairyairyfairy

Aldi porridge 89c for 1kg bag and agree, leave it to soak overnight and lovely and creamy next morning

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 Ambp

rubadub wrote: »
    I think some of the instants are a little more processed so they absorb it liquid better, like floured or steamed more. Regular oat flakes are rolled and steamed so they absorb faster than old school pinhead oats.

A trick is to leave the regular oats in a bowl in the fridge overnight with your water/milk, this should microwave a bit better.

According to this the Odlums "the ingredients of the products are identical but that the microwave version is milled for longer" but the Flahavans ones are identical… I've got a few free samples of the Microwave oats before and have to say I've never noticed any difference

Advertisement