Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Legal Wording for New Site - Advice?

Options
  • 05-12-2011 2:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 820 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I am about to launch a new site and have some rudimentary T&Cs and Privacy policy wording in place. This was given to me by my web developers, who presumably give it out as generic wording to their clients. It seems pretty comprehensive, but I haven't consulted with a solicitor on it just yet.

I know you can't muck around with these things, but I did contact a solicitor re reviewing and approving it, and he wants me to call down to his office. For this I will be paying €300!!

Would it be reasonable to just go with my existing wording, or use the wording from other sites that are very similar? Or maybe look for an unemployed solicitor looking for a freelance job?

I know not consulting a solicitor could be a false economy, as you want to make sure these things are properly covered....but still - €300 notes?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43 allaboutclicks

You could try your local free legal advice centre - www.flac.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Newsite

Hmm, thanks but think that might be more for disadvantaged citizens looking for legal advice on civil matters..

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭YouBuyLocal

Take a piece of text in the T&Cs, wrap it in inverted commas and put it in Google. You will see how many sites use exactly the same wording. Everyone just copies off everyone else. You have to go through it in detail yourself anyway, but no need to see a Solicitor, most don't have experience with internet law. They will bamboozle you maybe, with legalistic terms but won't contribute to your security. If someone is going to sue you it will not be because they rummaged through your T&Cs and found a grammatical or logic error, it will be because you have money. Just do it yourself and when you have the cash to spare later on in your businesses' life time you should then spend it on a good solicitor, because it is at that point that you will be sued.

Good Luck :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Newsite

Take a piece of text in the T&Cs, wrap it in inverted commas and put it in Google. You will see how many sites use exactly the same wording. Everyone just copies off everyone else. You have to go through it in detail yourself anyway, but no need to see a Solicitor, most don't have experience with internet law. They will bamboozle you maybe, with legalistic terms but won't contribute to your security. If someone is going to sue you it will not be because they rummaged through your T&Cs and found a grammatical or logic error, it will be because you have money. Just do it yourself and when you have the cash to spare later on in your businesses' life time you should then spend it on a good solicitor, because it is at that point that you will be sued.

Good Luck :)

Heheh, cheers, just did that and a tonne of sites popped up - I figured that was the case, that everyone copied everyone else, as T&Cs just seem so throwaway and generic. The guy I was meant to be seeing is highly unlikely to have internet law experience, so it could be just be an extremely expensive visit and just a lot of money out of my account and into his! So ya reckon just copy and tweak from a site in the same sector as me? Reckon that'll do nicely for now, and I have my own wording there anyway. Might just expand it out a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭YouBuyLocal

I don't give legal advice, but if I did it would be the best legal advice in the world ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement