Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New to Renting

Options
  • 05-12-2011 2:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37

Folks im finally flying the coup and have read the stickies above but I am looking for some more info about renting.

Specificfally, how would someone qualify for rent allowance, is there any tax breaks if you are renting, do you need to show a lease to a solicitor before signing.

then would you need to buy your own bed clothes, cutlery, pots pans plates etc?
    what about couches then i'd imagine a rental properties couches would be mank whould you get some sort of covers for them maybe?

also, is there much to do if your looking to instal sky television for example does it need landlords permission and can you get broadband setup without a phone line?

Lastly if theres a garden does the landlord cut the grass or it is somethign you ned to take of yourself

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭not even wrong

Swoosh wrote: »
    Specificfally, how would someone qualify for rent allowance
    read this. If you are moving out of home for the first time you will need to be assessed as being in need of rehousing. This means that you will need a better reason than just "want my own place".
    is there any tax breaks if you are renting
    No, not any more.
    do you need to show a lease to a solicitor before signing.
    No.
    then would you need to buy your own bed clothes, cutlery, pots pans plates etc?
    Yes, all of those are usually provided by the tenant.
    what about couches then i'd imagine a rental properties couches would be mank whould you get some sort of covers for them maybe?
    Landlord provides all furniture/white goods if the place is let as "furnished", which almost all rental properties in Ireland are.
    also, is there much to do if your looking to instal sky television for example does it need landlords permission
    Installing a dish needs landlords' permission, and management company permission too if you're in an apartment block.
    and can you get broadband setup without a phone line?
    Yes, you can get cable broadband from UPC, or you can get wireless midband from Meteor/vodafone/o2/3.
    Lastly if theres a garden does the landlord cut the grass or it is somethign you ned to take of yourself
    Usually the situation is that the landlord provides a mower and the tenant does the mowing.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Swoosh

read this. If you are moving out of home for the first time you will need to be assessed as being in need of rehousing. This means that you will need a better reason than just "want my own place".No, not any more.No.Yes, all of those are usually provided by the tenant.Landlord provides all furniture/white goods if the place is let as "furnished", which almost all rental properties in Ireland are.
    Installing a dish needs landlords' permission, and management company permission too if you're in an apartment block.Yes, you can get cable broadband from UPC, or you can get wireless midband from Meteor/vodafone/o2/3.Usually the situation is that the landlord provides a mower and the tenant does the mowing.

Sound out man!

Moving in with herself so excitig/scary times!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Are most landlords willing to negotiate or are the prices set on daft usually their lowest, expected, or hopeful ?

Say a house was 1400, would I get away with offering 1250 considering the amount of house on that are available in the current market

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Custardpi

SeantheMan wrote: »
    Are most landlords willing to negotiate or are the prices set on daft usually their lowest, expected, or hopeful ?

Say a house was 1400, would I get away with offering 1250 considering the amount of house on that are available in the current market

Depends on the area, some have a shortage of decent quality housing, others have a massive surplus. In the former case the landlord will be in a much better position since he can find other tenants if you decide the price is too high. Check out what similar properties in an area are renting for, if the one you're looking at is much above the norm you should query the difference. Also try & find out how long they've been looking for tenants for. A respectable tenant who can provide references is in a very good position to haggle these days but again it depends on the exact area.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

We'd be looking at celbridge / liexlip / maynooth / straffan area.

Basically somewhere just on the outskirts of dublin close to a main town..but not too far out like kilkock etc.
    We would be able to provide reference yes of past 2 years with no problems.

• Advertisement
Advertisement