Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PCI-e Cable question

Options
  • 05-12-2011 2:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭

I am almost loath to ask this question as I am used to being the knowledgeable one about computers but I recently found that this is strictly limited to software issues.

I have been meaning to upgrade my graphics card for a while now but never really got around to it, mostly as I am not too fond of rooting around inside my PC. A friend is upgrading his own PC however and offered to give me his geForce 9800 gx2 card so I took it off his hand. My only problem now is that I have discovered that my PC only has a 6-pin PCi cable and the card requires both a 6-pin and and 8-pin.

So my newb question is: Am I going to need to buy a new PSU or is it possible somehow to add an 8-pin cable to the configuration?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Trevor451

Kernunos wrote: »
    I am almost loath to ask this question as I am used to being the knowledgeable one about computers but I recently found that this is strictly limited to software issues.

I have been meaning to upgrade my graphics card for a while now but never really got around to it, mostly as I am not too fond of rooting around inside my PC. A friend is upgrading his own PC however and offered to give me his geForce 9800 gx2 card so I took it off his hand. My only problem now is that I have discovered that my PC only has a 6-pin PCi cable and the card requires both a 6-pin and and 8-pin.

So my newb question is: Am I going to need to buy a new PSU or is it possible somehow to add an 8-pin cable to the configuration?

Mind posting what make/model your PSU is? (just to make sure the psu can handle the new card) and yes you can purchase molex to 8 pin adapters on ebay :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Chavways

Bad thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭dyer

as Trevor has said.. its possible to use a 2x molex to 8pin adapter but if your PSU doesnt give enough juice or have enough amps on the 12v rail you might be better off buying a new one.

Advertisement